LegacyGT.com

which stock turbo do I need?

I've been loosing oil and found the turbo leaking oil into the intake. Soooo, I guess I'm in the market for a new stock turbo. I've been doing some research on this and it looks like a pretty simple procedure. This car is a DD and fast enough for my taste, so I'm not really interested in aftermarket turbos for more horsepower and I would like to keep my costs down. I don't mind using used parts, but I don't know which turbo I'm looking for. I've seen a couple turbo model numbers thrown around on here but I can't figure out which turbo is on my car. Anybody know which stock turbo I need for a 06'?

I plan to replace the banjo bolt filters while I'm at it, but is there anything else I should be aware of while I've got the turbo out? I still have the stock up pipe with the cat. I've read the cat can shed material into the turbo and ruin it. Should I consider replacing it to save the new turbo?

I've got about 4,000 miles on my new turbo because some pieces of the

OEM uppipe catalytic conveter let go and were eaten by the exhaust turbine.

This was at about 128,750 miles.

I scored an OEM STI non-catted uppipe for $40.

I'm just sayin.

Self proclaimed PNW Craiglist find of the day Champion, April 2014.

Most will tell you the get the cat out of the up pipe. I will too.

I also have both banjo filters removed from by ej257 and vf52.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I agree. get that catalytic element out of the UP as soon as possible. Since you're replacing the turbo anyways it's two more bolts to get the UP out. You can leave the EGT probe or remove it too, and do the resistor mod or have it tuned out (sounds like you're not tuned though).

If you don't want to tune at all, stick with a stock turbo VF40 and be on your merry way. You could buy a new one, or potentially have your turbo rebuilt at 6 Star Speed for cheaper.

Oh and absolutely, remove those banjo filters or at the least replace them if for some reason you want them. Since you're replacing the turbo anyways, why not sport for a new turbo line kit, something from say, Infamous.... then you could get the filter on the turbo line also, for better protection of the spinny thing. Between the banjo filters and the stories of people's turbo oil lines cracking (the metal ones), I'd rather have flexible oil lines for an expensive turbo.

Do we need to get into the problem with the OEM MAP and why you want your car off of it ?

Go with a vf52, new oil return hose, no banjo filters, catless up pipe, with no egt probe, 3" DP and a tuned.

Better mpg and safer for the valves. If it's not to late.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived