LegacyGT.com

Please help me understand a few things about Stage 1

exsterminator

I have used the search feature extensively but am still no closer to understanding this. . . .

I bought an 09 OB XT Ltd in 5MT last week. This is my first turbo car. What I am trying to understand is what a stage 1 tune will give me in terms of increased performance? From what I have read, it appears to be a software upgrade only, requires no additional parts installed and should increase my stock hp and torque by about 30 each, giving me more power in the lower revs to get the car going quicker. Is this right?

Where do you get this done? I assume not at the dealer. Is this something you can do yourself? I recall reading that the AP (Access Port, right?) is a handheld device that has a cable that plugs in just beneath the steering column and you can then remap your ECU to one of several different performance options. Is this right? I assume that the AP is specific to the make and model of your car . . .

And the cost of this is about $700 or so, right? I read somewhere that if someone else has the hardware, they can do it for you at a fraction of the cost - any truth in this? Does it improve fuel efficiency like I have read in a couple of posts?

I would really appreciate just short answers I guess to the questions posed and some idea of where I can get this done.

Thanks guys/gals, appreciate you taking the time to read and for your help.

Yes, Cobb Tuning sells Accessports ("AP") and they include off-the-shelf maps. Off-the-shelf maps means the map is a general one designed to work with a large number of cars.

The best maps are made specifically for your car and local conditions. These are available from your local Cobb tuner (if available) or over open source.

Open source is another (cheaper) way to flash a new map onto the car, but you have to be knowledgeable in how to do it. Infamous is a member on here that provides open source tuning.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Stage 1 is a software modification only - no parts on the engine are changed.

I haven't taken any measurements, but the improvement in engine response in obvious. The car moves out much better than stock. I don't know why they didn't set it up like this from the factory. It is a significant improvement.

You purchase the Cobb AccessPort and reflash the PROMS yourself. The AP is a hand held terminal that plugs into the OBDII port under the dash. A video on how to do it is on the Cobb website and is also provided on the DVD that comes with the AccessPort.

The cost was $695 and I was able to buy one at a Subaru dealer, which made it possible to use Subaru Bucks (reward program from the Subaru credit card) to buy it.

If I recall correctly, there is a fuel efficiency map that basically turns off the turbo to improve MPG. I doubt that map sees much use. :lol:

Stage 1 didn't make much difference in my mileage, because I don't continually flog the car to feel the power. But the power is on tap for merging and passing when I want it.

My car is an '05 OBXT. Your results could differ.

I have an 07 LGT and just installed a SPT intake, i was wondering if the Stage 1 would help the computer understand that it is getting more air flow. also i am thinkin about the SPT exhaust, would this program work well with both.

I was also wondering because i work at a Subaru dealership if there was a program that they have here that could do the same as Stage 1 ?

You want to get a custom tune to make the most of any non-stock intake. Without getting a proper tune for the intake, you run the risk of running lean (too much air, not enough fuel), and damaging your engine. Cobb's OTS maps at Stage 1 are tuned for the stock intake.

The exhaust is not an issue with Stage 1, as long as you don't change anything besides the cat-back system.

Thanks Ssej, another question for you. Is there a program that i can use with my laptop to adjust the air fuel mix or how could i get someone to burn a custom tune for me? I've heard alot of ppl don't like the SPT intake but i can say i have noticed a positive gain in performance after i flashed my computer and taught the car how to handle my driving as well as the increase airflow. Would you recomend a Stage 1 or Stage 2 w/out exhaust and Stage 1 or Stage 2 withthe intake and exhaust?

I got my stg1 tune from Infamous1. Set up before and after the tune is the same: SPT intake with AEM Dryflow filter and Borla exhaust. For SPT intake you have to rescale MAF and Infamous1 did it for me the same time as he did stg1 tune. Here is the difference in power before and after, also note that this is power to the wheels, not fly wheel.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j251/tobyloby/SugawiLGTStg1SPTBorlaCBE.jpg

a%3E

If you have a laptop, the cable required and the tune from Infamous1 will run about $350.00. Much cheaper than an AP, can do anything an AP can do, is custom to your vehicle and you can always go back to stock.

Archived