LegacyGT.com

Opinion: Koni w/H-techs or Koni w/Epic

DoctorLGT

Which set-up do you prefer for a 95% DD car?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which set-up do you prefer for a 95% DD car?

• F: Koni w/H-tech R: Koni w/H-tech + Saggy butt spacer
    • F: Koni w/H-tech R: Koni w/Stock Spring
    • F: Koni w/Epic's R: Koni w/Epic + Saggy butt spacer (*Spend $290 extra for 5 weeks)

Hey guys, I know this has been posted a bunch of times but I could not get a definitive answer. Maybe someone can shine some light on this.

My current set up is [keep in mind H-techs are already in my possession - therefore no extra cost, while epics will be an extra $290.0]

Front: Stock Strut w/H-tech

Rear: Stock Strut w/ Stock spring

Just purchased Konis.

Not sure what I want to do.

Option 1:

Front: Koni w/H-tech

Rear: Koni w/ H-tech + Saggy butt

Option 2:

Front: Koni w/H-tech

Rear: Koni w/ Stock Strut

Option 3:

Front: Koni w/Epics

Rear: Koni w/ Epics + Saggy butt

I drive my car 6 weeks at a time every 5 months because I am in school in the Caribbean. The current ride I have is awful. Every bump on the streets you can feel, and on uneven highway roads its teeth-chattering and gruelling. I usually have to warn people that a bad bump is approaching before they think something awful happened to the car. For those 6 weeks I only drive around town with friends, and I never ever track this car.

Brand  Front Drop (in)  Rear Drop (in)  Front Rate (kgf/mm)  Rear Rate (kgf/mm)     
Stock       0                  0              3.5                    5.5    
Eibach      1                  0.76           3.0-4.0                3.0-6.0  
Tein HTech  0.9                0.9            3.9(p)                 5.5(p) 

[Credit goes to Madcatz for this chart]

According to this I see that Eibach's would have a drop that would fit my current set up a bit more ideally. I like the raked look. But when you compare the spring rate of the H-techs to the Stocks, and comparing the Eibach's to the stocks, It seems like riding on H-techs are the closest to riding on stock, but then I factor in the less travel because they are shorter, and i am again lost.

I want the ride to be as close to factory as possible, but if I wanted to adjust the Koni's via the adjustment knobs I would want the car to be able to handle some more aggressive driving.

spark-notes: Trying to figure out the right springs for my Koni's, so that I have a close to Stock ride as possible, but when tightening up the Koni's to have a slightly stiffer and more aggressive ride.

I also wanted to comment one more thing. The current ride is fine in the rear. But in the front is where I feel the worst of uneven roads. So Basically its deciding what's ideal for the front first and foremost. And then second trying to figure out what's ideal for the rear.

I'm going Koni + Epics w/ spacer in rear.

There is a reason they are referred to as one of the best strut/spring combo's for the 4th gen.

Trust me I don't disagree with this statment at all. And thank you for commenting. Just trying to work out the logistics in my head.

Just spent 490 on Koni's, and wont be able to install them or enjoy them on the car till either December 14th or 22nd....and then either spending nothing (40 bux on spacers if I choose H-techs in the back) or spending another $290 for only 5/6 weeks of enjoyment. Otherwise the car sits nicely in my parents driveway with a car cover, and plugged in to a trickle charger.

So far, I was okay with spending the 490 on the Koni's, because i figured first my suspension has over 80k on it, with half of that with h-techs on the back, and the other half with stock springs in the back. And second for the 5.5month long semester, every month I would put 100 dollars to it, and I wouldn't feel like it was a solid 490 shot in the wallet.

I'm likely not buying the Koni's until the spring sale.

Just sent money for some used struts. Will be able to take my time and clean them up and cut them + accumulate other new parts for the swap. (tophats, perches, etc.)

Think about it this way too. You have the H-Techs. You can get the Epics. Try it out both ways and see which you prefer. If you end up liking the H-techs more then you should have very little problem selling the Epic's as they will be almost brand new.

Just sent money for some used struts. Will be able to take my time and clean them up and cut them + accumulate other new parts for the swap. (tophats, perches, etc.)

Think about it this way too. You have the H-Techs. You can get the Epics. Try it out both ways and see which you prefer. If you end up liking the H-techs more then you should have very little problem selling the Epic's as they will be almost brand new.

That's a very good point. One that I didn't even consider. Kinda makes me think 2 times more about the Epic's now.

Hey Brendan, regarding the sale, how much of a savings do you think it's gonna be. Also where is said sale gonna be. I'm getting $1ooo in mod cash next March for my bday. Thanks in advance for the info

Looks like Eurosport Design does the sale.

Could be others too though. Just keep your eyes open around spring.

Search about the saggy butt issue. It's well documented but basically the rear tends to sit a tad lower than the front (based of fender-wheel gap). There are different sized spacers available to alleviate this.

Yeah it's mostly a wagon issue. Although I read somewhere if using Spec.B tophats you will want a spacer in the rear as well.

Got ya... I see the OP has a sedan based on the avatar. I dont think he/she will need a saggy butt spacer.

Archived