LegacyGT.com

New Air filter - woosh sound

Need some input....I just changed the air filter on my '06 gt wagon and immediately noticed a woosh sound coming from the engine compartment when under moderate to heavy acceleration. I have not previously noticed this sound. I used a basic Fram filter. I have double checked that everything was put back together properly but am still hearing this noise. Any chance that the Fram air filter is simply louder than the OEM filter?

Any chance that the Fram air filter is simply louder than the OEM filter?

That is very likely. I think some aftermarket paper filters have been found to flow more air than the OEM ones. Plus, your OEM filter was probably dirty by the time you replaced it, helping to muffle the sound.

Did you separate the base at the 2 alignment pins on the bottom when you took it out? I missed lining them up when I replaced my air filter and it got pretty loud. you can't easily tell that the bottom is out of line when you clip the top back together.

+2. Even my K&N didn't make much audible difference.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Thanks all...I triple checked installation making sure that the 2 bottom installation pins are in place (they are). Flat side of the filter is facing cabin with the ribbed side facing the front bumper - the way the old filter came out. I will use OEM on my next filter change. Thanks again!

Thanks all...I triple checked installation making sure that the 2 bottom installation pins are in place (they are). Flat side of the filter is facing cabin with the ribbed side facing the front bumper - the way the old filter came out. I will use OEM on my next filter change. Thanks again!

I think its in wrong, the ribbed side should be towards firewall...The ribbed side should be in the part of the air box closest to firewall

I think its in wrong, the ribbed side should be towards firewall...The ribbed side should be in the part of the air box closest to firewall

shouldnt the ribbed side face the bumper? when i pulled out my old filter, the ribbed side is what caught all the dirt/debris/bugs.

Archived