104 members have voted

1. 1. My typical oil consumption between oil changes is:

• 2.5i - 1/2 quart or less
    • 2.5i - 1/2 to 1 quart
    • 2.5i - over 1 quart
    • 3.6r - 1/2 quart or less
    • 3.6r - 1/2 to 1 quart
    • 3.6r - over 1 quart

For the record, if you've changed your oil, how much do you estimate has been consumed between changes? If you've added oil, use the amount added.

(original wording of the post asked about "oil added"; it may be none but oil is consumed and you can estimate, perhaps based on the dipstick reading or the oil drained.)

Respond to the poll if you've changed at least twice (ie at least ONCE after the break-in period).

If you added none, it's 1/2 quart or less.

Remember to check your oil on level ground (the same spot is best) after the engine is off two hours or more. Read the oil level on the lower side of the dipstick.

Include your cylinders(if not in your signature/profile):

Odometer:

miles driven between:

Quarts added:

driving style (easy, moderate, aggressive):

Full engine operating temp (sometimes, usually, almost always):

Lifetime mpg or L/100 km:

Edited by waldguy
poll added; Clarification

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did my first oil change at 3000 miles. I'll be doing my second oil change tomorrow at 6000 miles. Haven't added any between the oil changes.

I'd say I drive pretty sedate.

My trips are about 50% less than 3 miles and 50% greater than 3 miles. I'd guess that it takes about 3 miles of driving to get up to full operating temperature.

As another data point, my lifetime CALCULATED MPG (as opposed to the erroneous onboard computer) is in the neighborhood of 27.5 mpg. I believe MPG correlates closely with driving style and length of trips.

• 1 month later...

Odometer: 4714 kms, about 3000 mi

miles driven between: 3000

Quarts added: 0

driving style (easy, moderate, aggressive): moderate. Pushed hard at lower rpms at times during break in.

Full engine operating temp (sometimes, usually, almost always): usually

Lifetime mpg or L/100 km: 29 mpg

• 1 month later...
I'm on the 2nd oil change now at 11k not a drop of oil burn, actually before I take it in for service I read the oil seems about 1/16" higher than when it got the oil change at full mark.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

... the oil seems about 1/16" higher than when it got the oil change at full mark.

1/16" is pretty small to measure on that dipstick -- might have been due to sitting overnight vs a shorter sit time the prior measurement?

Anyway - good news on the oil consumption so far.

Engine: 2.5 H4 (FB25)

Odometer: 5,186 miles (first oil change @ 6 months)

Oil added: 0

Driving style: easy to moderate

Estimated % highway: 40%

Estimate average speed: 36 mph

Full engine operating temp: usually

Lifetime mpg: 29.5 (30.7 per on-board EcoMonitor)

Observed oil consumption in first 5,186 miles: less than 1 pint.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

I just changed my wife's oil in her 2015 Forester 2.5i. Her low oil light illuminated on her way home from work. Oil level was between add and edge of dipstick after sitting for 2hrs. I'm estimating 1.25qts low. Assuming low to full is 1qt.

Include your cylinders(if not in your signature/profile): 4cyl 2.5i

Odometer: 10,400

miles driven between: 5,000

Quarts added: 1.25

driving style (easy, moderate, aggressive): Easy / All highway

Full engine operating temp (sometimes, usually, almost always): Almost Always

Another data point…

I changed my oil for the 3rd time last week at 12,000 miles.

I use Mobile 1 synthetic purchased at Wal-Mart for ~$28 for the 5 quart jug. I use the Subaru OEM oil filter.

6000 miles between changes

0 oil added between changes

"easy" driving style

Trips almost always long enough to reach full operating temps.

Very happy with the engine portion of the Legacy.

• 3 weeks later...

This got me to check my oil

So far I have 2700 miles on my Legacy and noticed one thing about checking the oil level. To get a real reading on the oil level you need to let the car sit for 2 to 3 hours otherwise it will show somewhere between the two holes on the dipstick which I assume are the fill and need to add oil marks.

^^^correct. Car needs to sit on LEVEL ground and sitting overnight is best. The bottom hole is add and top if full. It typically takes 1 qt to go from bottom hole to top hole. If you are "in-between" than you're looking at 1/2 qt assuming the car is on level ground.

You also need to read both sides of the dipstick. The two sides will likely indicate slightly different levels, and the lower is the one to use (per Subaru). I presume that this discrepancy is due to the dipstick entering the oil sump at a very shallow angle. This is also why you should check oil level while parked on a dead-level surface.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

You also need to read both sides of the dipstick. The two sides will likely indicate slightly different levels, and the lower is the one to use (per Subaru). I presume that this discrepancy is due to the dipstick entering the oil sump at a very shallow angle. This is also why you should check oil level while parked on a dead-level surface.

Exactly! I always read both sides, it's a must. I believe the discrepancies are caused by a meniscus effect due to surface tension.

Also, I check my oil in the same spot all the time, so even if it's not perfectly level I have good recordable data to review where as measuring in different areas or places can skew readings. Where I park my car is where the oil gets changed and level gets checked. I know that's not possible for most people so best bet is to go to a shopping center parking lot and park where you think a cart cannot roll when left untouched. Concrete pads are usually nice and level too.

I just added 1/2qt after 2700miles into my oil change.

I check my oil in the same spot all the time, so even if it's not perfectly level I have good recordable data to review where as measuring in different areas or places can skew readings.

Good advice. Monitoring oil consumption is one place where the long-term trend is usually more important than any single data point.

spacer.png

13k running Amsoil - haven't added any. Check monthly.

No way would I go that long on any oil! It may retain some

of it's lubrication properties but oil gets dirty with use and TBN declines also. After a while it may lubricate but it can't do the rest of it's job. Have you ever sent a sample to the lab for UOA? I'd be curious.