LegacyGT.com

Weird humming while driving

Hi guys I have a JDM 2006 2.5i 4speed auto.

The issue I have is when I'm on motorway driving between 80-120 klms I get a weird humming sound coming from the front almost intermittent humming.

There's no vibration in the steering at all and tracking is perfect.

Have new Megan racing lca bushings installed.

New tyres

Timing belt done

Trans and rear diff fluid replaced.

The humming sound was there before it's work was done.

What could it be.

I did notice when I got the tyres replaced the drivers side hub was a good bit hotter than the passenger side. Could it be a sticking caliper?

Bearing in mind that I don't have any shake in the steering wheel.

I did the rears myself, not a technically difficult job, but the hubs are usually rusted on pretty bad. I bought "Moog" (federal mogul) hubs from rockauto.com (it wont let me link to the part, it easy to find though). The hub is all in one, so there is no pressing the bearings in. Its basically removing four bolts from the hub, and the axle nut; after you remove the brakes and such, of course. I would change both bearings, its good a practice.

Yeah wheels hubs are a 3 out of 5 purely b/c you can screw up the ABS sensor, you need a 32mm socket, you have to remove the brake caliper, jack the car, potentially "help" the hub from the knuckle.

If you arent sure buy the hubs from Rockauto.com or where is cheapest and have a shop do it :)

Not a difficult DIY job. There is a walkthrough on this site (in .pdf form) that is very thorough. The only difficulty I can really see is diagnosing which one is bad. I swear on mine that all of the noise was coming from the front, but the dealer put it up on a rack and told me it was the rear passenger side. I swapped that one out and all of the noise was gone.

My quote from the dealer was for $350 and it would only take 45 minutes... I questioned the charge and was told that it was "by the job" (not an hourly rate). I replied that "I would think about it" and bought the part and did it myself the next weekend. The OEM part was in the $125-150 range, I purchased an aftermarket part and it was about $80. All the tools I needed I borrowed from the local AutoZone. Don't forget to purchase a new axle nut from the dealer.

Archived