LegacyGT.com

How to:Remove/install new radio in 10/11 Legacy

SuperAkuma

This write up is for how to install/remove the stock radio on a 2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i without Navi or HK system. It may work for those as well. Also I installed a SINGLE DIN radio, it shouldn't be any difference if you installed a Double DIN radio.

THESE ARE THE PARTS THAT I USED

Wire harness

Scosche #NN04B (I know it shows up as nissan but it is the same)

http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/product/1644

Antenna cable

Metra #40-SB10

http://www.metraonline.com/part/Subaru_Antenna_40-SB10

Bracket

Metra #99-8903B

http://www.metraonline.com/part/Subaru_Legacy_Dash_kit_99-8903B

First thing you need to do is pop out the center piece. DO NOT USE A SCREW DRIVER.

According to some manual, it says to stick your finger in the vent and open it. Don't do that either, because it hurts and it does not work. Just stick your hand in the center pocket, make a fist to grip it, and pull outward. Be careful not to scratch anything.

The RED circle are the main points that holds the column in.

On the left where I put the green circle, it is recommended to put a piece of tape on the side instrument panel so you won't scratch it. I didn't do it and it was fine.

The whole piece just comes out. Once you put that in a safe place, you need to unscrew the stock radio from the car. There are 4 Philips screw holding it and they are located at the YELLOW TRIANGLE. **use a big screw driver, these screws are very soft**

http://saelee.smugmug.com/photos/i-LHvRBX3/0/L/i-LHvRBX3-L.jpg

Once you unscrew the screw, there are TWO big plug holding the deck and one black wire sticking out near the bottom which is the antenna.

The two big plugs are easy to remove, the antenna one on the bottom was a little tricky. You need to go from the bottom of the driver side to take it out because you unplug it from down there.

The bottom pictures shows how where to disconnect the antenna wire. I also have the new aftermarket antenna wire plugged in to show you.

What is mission from that picture is the antenna extension because you WILL need one to make it reach your new deck.

http://saelee.smugmug.com/photos/i-PG6mh7v/0/L/i-PG6mh7v-L.jpg

Once you are done it should look something like this.

http://saelee.smugmug.com/photos/i-VHC5Jmh/0/L/i-VHC5Jmh-L.jpg

If anyone have any question feel free to PM me or just reply here, I will try my best to answer it.

My background:

I am a big audiophile guy. I've been known to spend $5k on a system for a CAR and even more on my HTS. As much as I love to attend DB drag, I value SQ over being the loudest. I am also old school and its been many years since I did a big install. When I was really into it back in the days, Sony actually made high quality decks!

Before/After

Stock system:It really sucked. From 1-10, I would say it is a 2. The bass was muddy and the highs where harsh. But what do you expect from a stock system right?

After market deck with stock speaker: The sound quality IMPROVED by a lot. Still not completely satisfied but it IS a noticeable improvement. Overall system is louder and a little more thump on the bass. The highs where not as bright anymore. I would say from 1-10, it would be a 4-5. For some people, this should be good enough.

• 4 weeks later...

What other plans do you have for your sound system?

I'm in the process of upgrading my head unit, front speakers, and adding subs (1-2, not too sure)

I see you use JVC. How are they with their HU's? I've used pioneer for years and am a bit hesitant of anyone other than Alpine...

Nice write up BTW!

What other plans do you have for your sound system?

I'm in the process of upgrading my head unit, front speakers, and adding subs (1-2, not too sure)

I see you use JVC. How are they with their HU's? I've used pioneer for years and am a bit hesitant of anyone other than Alpine...

Nice write up BTW!

Plans yes, but will I get it done anytime soon, most likely not. :lol:

Times have changes and the priorities have changes as well. I've been known to spend a good chunk of money on the sound system

Since I am a family man now, I can't go crazy with spending too much on the system and I have a bunch of older model speakers/amp/sub that I can use. My next move will be to install my CDT comp in the front if they fit, if not, I will use my old Diamond Audio comp. Before I do that I need to buy an amp kit to amp those speakers. Since I already have the amps, it shouldn't be long before I do that upgrade, and you can bet I will make a How to guild for it.

Personally I am an Alpine and Eclipse guy for the head unit. The reason why I went with THIS JVC unit was because it has a Burr-Brown 24bit digital to analog convertor, 5v pre-out amp, and I got it at a really good price. This is my first JVC deck as well and so far I love the SQ on THIS deck. Had this deck for about 3 years now.

Good job, but any reason why you didn't go double DIN?

The JVC deck was from my previous car. I don't have the money to buy a double DIN navigation system. I don't want to go cheap and buy a low end $600 navi system with $hitty sound quality. When I do buy it, I want to do it right and get something good.

Sweet! I have some Infinity comp coming in tomorrow. I've never installed wires in the door before. I'm going to try my hand at fishing the wire through the grommets that currently holding the factory speaker wires. Any tips for doing that?

Sorry I haven't tried it on this car or even took a look at it yet. I've worked on many cars and some cars are a PITA to do while other are easy.

Does your car have a stock amp? If not you can just use the stock wires. Unless if you are running 150+wRMS on the comps, the stock wire is fine.

I am not saying NOT to run a new line, what I am saying if it is to much trouble to run the line, stock wire is fine.

Another problem you may run into is the depth of the speaker may be too deep and the aftermarket holes won't aline with the stock without a bracket. Let me know how it goes.

• 1 month later...

Archived