LegacyGT.com

Growling/Clunking noise in rear while accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd ??

When I accelerate HARD in 1st or 2nd gear... at around 4,000 RPM and up, I get a growling noise from the back...

I originally thought it was maybe the tires slipping / grabbing for grip... or the exhaust hitting the swaybar during squat (I am lowered 1") ...

Then I was thinking that maybe it is my center differential spinning. I have no other drivability problems... no vibrations... no other noises.....

What is the symptoms of a center differential being overwhelmed by torque?

Does anyone else seem to have this problem?

Again... it is only under hard acceleration at higher RPM's. It really sounds like it is coming from the back.

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I have the same problem (full stage 2) samething happens lasts for a second or 2 then it's gone.....I recently switched back to the stock tires and really started noticing it. I though it might be the rear tires loading up with the weight transfer as mine sounds like the tire noise amplifies to twice as loud for a few moments...Are you on stock rubber? I switched back to stockers when I went to stage two, as snow was approaching and my summers are no good at all, so I don't know if it was the power increase on the diff or just the tires.

For me (and others I believe) it gets waaaaaaaaaay worse when it is cold. Today it is cold and I can do it in first, second, and once even in third. Last week it wasn't too cold and only in first.

In the summer when it is warm I never have it happen.

Began doing it the last couple months at WOT from a standing start. Thought it might be the rear suspension loading up at first but don't think so now. No obvious signs of any contact between sway, exhaust, diff, etc.

Hey guys, I had a similar sound coming from the rear of my car under hard acceleration in 1st and sometimes 2nd. I took my car the my dealership, and they put sensors all over my suspension and found that the problem was the rear struts making noise when they were loaded pretty hard. They gave me no crap about being TDC stage 2, and did all the work under warranty. It has been three weeks since and I have not heard the noise again.

Hey guys, I had a similar sound coming from the rear of my car under hard acceleration in 1st and sometimes 2nd. I took my car the my dealership, and they put sensors all over my suspension and found that the problem was the rear struts making noise when they were loaded pretty hard. They gave me no crap about being TDC stage 2, and did all the work under warranty. It has been three weeks since and I have not heard the noise again.

Any idea what they did?

Yeah, they just replaced the struts, or at least that is what they told me.

I have to take my wife's 2.5rs in for a broken window this week, so I will ask the service manager for some details on the repair.

My car has actually made that strange groaning sound since very early in its life. I have just never been able to consistantly reproduce the sound untill lately. So i think that my stut or struts may have been defective from the start.

Talked to Jack at iON performance and he said in cold weather this is fairly common. A few STIs have had similiar problems up here as well.

According to Jack the noise comes from a combination of many rubber bushings holding the rear diff and assembly in place. As far as he knows there is no polyurethane kit for the LGT, but says NVH would go up a lot.

Lithium grease was given as a possible help for the problem.

I don't know if that helps, but it would be nice to hear from somebody that has at least reduced the problem.

Funny, just noticed a similar noise this week before I read this forum. Didn't seem to be happening all the time though, but definitely a lower gear, more throttle issue. Concerned it might be a rear diff sound too. Hopefully it's the rubber bushing theory becoming squeeky in the cold. Temps have dropped here a lot the past week.

Funny, just noticed a similar noise this week before I read this forum. Didn't seem to be happening all the time though, but definitely a lower gear, more throttle issue. Concerned it might be a rear diff sound too. Hopefully it's the rubber bushing theory becoming squeeky in the cold. Temps have dropped here a lot the past week.

Your diff is fine!

I've been noticing the same noise. I notice it in 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th gear. But only when I'm really on it hard. probably the last 2000 - 1500 rpm. I don't hear it in 5th because I've never had the revs up that high! I went stage 2 in the summer and only noticed it when it started getting cold out. We should get a list going of our upgrades to see what the differnces could be. I've got Borla exhaust so I doubt it's that. I'm on re92 and stock struts still though.

Same noise for me as well, I thought it was my stuts but i recently replaced one rear one becuase it was blown and now that the weather is colder its starting to pick up again. I'm guessing that it is what everyone else suspects, either tire rubbing or bushings making noise. Im on Tein S techs but I never notice it when its warm outside