LegacyGT.com

Using an Autonostics/Vag-Com Cable To Read/Flash ECU's

qikslvr

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newb here, with a newb question before I even start downloading software (I received the ebay VAG cable tonight):

Do RomRaider (RR) and Ecuflash do basically the same thing? Can I use either to read, datalog, edit and flash the OEM ECU data? If so, which do most of you prefer?

Regardless of that software, I still need to download the drivers in post #1 for the ebay cable, set baud rate and com port, etc first? I'm 99% sure that is a "yes" but after reading both threads I want to make sure for any other newbs out there.

I'm going to try this on windows 98 with the no-longer-supported VAG cable drivers. My tuning laptop is an old thinkpad with a serial port that's needed for most other ecu and NO software on it that isn't for tuning, so it's pretty quick for what it is. If it doesn't work I will have to steal the wife's work laptop that runs vista. VAG cable has a USB connector on the end, not serial (I saw both on ebay).

EDIT: windows 98 drivers installed, VAG cable comes up as a USB controller in the device manager, not a COM port. When choosing "read ecu" in ecuflash 1.29a it does not connect, same errors as below. I will attempt to find a windows XP laptop and try again.

Another question, will the fans cycle on and off the entire time you are reading/writing/whatever? How long does it normally take to read and write to the ecu? My neighbors already look at me funny.

And...what is the difference between Virtual COM port (VCP) drivers and D2XX drivers? VCP seems like it'd make more sense but I'm not computer literate.

I followed the instructions for XP on my desktop computer and the VAG cable shows up at a COM port. That's a good sign.

Thanks for the reply qikslvr! I'm using the drivers that are posted in this thread, I did get a driver disc with the cable but it doesn't work either....It recognizes the cable (bottom of the window displays USB <> SERIAL) but when I hit read and then select the vehicle from the list it says the below errors...

[18:35:17.172] unable to open OpenPort device [ Serial ].

[18:35:17.172] unable to connect to vehicle interface.

I also dont see where you select which com port in ecuflash. Am I missing something?

And should I be using the latest version of RR? I read in one of these threads that version 0.5.0 will only work with our cars but I can't find where to download it.

Edited by timmafod

Got the Ebay Vag-Com Cable from seller yellow*_*stone. Got it from Shenzhen, China in about 1 week. Installed the drivers that came with the cable on one USB port and got RR and LV to work perfectly. Then I installed the latest ECU Flash with the tactrix drivers on another port. Works perfect!...

Just wanted to post another success story with the cheap cable!

I am running a laptop with XP SP3... and my car is a 05 LGT MT

To get it to work I used the drivers that came with my cable on one port, this enabled RR and LV to connect. Then I installed a different port with the latest tactrix drivers and the latest E cu F lash definitions... So now I use one port for RR, then I switch my cable to the other port and I use it to Read and Write to the ECU...

Romraider Logger logs

Romraider Editor edits

EcuFlash flashes

Keep trying different drivers, you should be able to get the cable to work. Did you download the tractrix drivers?

I don't see where you download tactrix specific drivers from tactrix's website. If I click the link on tactrix's site that says "You can download EcuFlash and the drivers for this product here.", it goes to ECU Flash's website, where I can only find various ECU Flash software, NO "tactrix" drivers. (The link for ECU flash 1.29 does not work on that site for me, I had to download it from an mirror site posted earlier here).

I borrowed my pop's XP laptop to try it out. If it works, I'll purchase an XP netbook hopefully on killer sale on black friday. Bestbuy is going to have a compaq/hp netbook with XP Home for $180, walmart will have an emachine laptop with windows 7 for $200. Not sure if this cable and software will work with windows 7 though.

EDIT after a few days off to calm down: Tactrix is openport 1.3/2.0, right? In that case, I will try ecuflash 1.42 and the openport 1.3/2.0 drivers :)

Edited by timmafod

Just my 5 cents to this thread... If possible, always ask the seller what kind of chip is inside. We need only chips FT232RL or RQ. Others, like FT232BL, don't work on the preCAN Subarus. My cable, with FT232RL, works perfectly for logging-flashing. ONLY, of course, with EcuFlash 1.29a.

After connecting the cable to the laptop, you'll see at the low right corner the info, but not complete. Like this, for instance: FT232R... In this case from the last letters it depends everything.

Just my 5 cents to this thread... If possible, always ask the seller what kind of chip is inside. We need only chips FT232RL or RQ. Others, like FT232BL, don't work on the preCAN Subarus. My cable, with FT232RL, works perfectly for logging-flashing. ONLY, of course, with EcuFlash 1.29a.

After connecting the cable to the laptop, you'll see at the low right corner the info, but not complete. Like this, for instance: FT232R... In this case from the last letters it depends everything.

I do not get any chip info anywhere on the desktop/toolbar when I plug in my VAGcom cable to my dad's XP laptop.

Regardless, after spending a few hours updating all the service packs on this here laptop (thing was never connected to the internet...ever), I loaded the "tactrix" drivers, which are bundled with the latest ecuflash download off ecuflash's website. Ecuflash version 1.42.2595. I attempted this latest ecuflash instead of 1.29a because of a note on RomRaider's site that their ecuflash definitions only work on 1.31 and up.

http://www.romraider.com/forum/topic3808.html

Anyway, ecuflash 1.42 worked as far as downloading the rom image from my ecu. I have not tried anything else yet; don't even have romraider installed. I'll attempt that next.

EDIT: WTF?! Target boost drops to 8.5psi gauge at redline?! BBBOOOOOOOO.

EDIT 2: Romraider's logger is working. It did not at first but after exiting out of the progam, the logger connected on the second try. Activating the logger with the rear defroster switch is pretty slick I must say...

Edited by timmafod

I do not get any chip info anywhere on the desktop/toolbar when I plug in my VAGcom cable to my dad's XP laptop.

Regardless, after spending a few hours updating all the service packs on this here laptop (thing was never connected to the internet...ever), I loaded the "tactrix" drivers, which are bundled with the latest ecuflash download off ecuflash's website. Ecuflash version 1.42.2595. I attempted this latest ecuflash instead of 1.29a because of a note on RomRaider's site that their ecuflash definitions only work on 1.31 and up.

http://www.romraider.com/forum/topic3808.html

Anyway, ecuflash 1.42 worked as far as downloading the rom image from my ecu. I have not tried anything else yet; don't even have romraider installed. I'll attempt that next.

EDIT: WTF?! Target boost drops to 8.5psi gauge at redline?! BBBOOOOOOOO.

EDIT 2: Romraider's logger is working. It did not at first but after exiting out of the progam, the logger connected on the second try. Activating the logger with the rear defroster switch is pretty slick I must say...

I forgot to say that you'll see this valuable info at the low right corner of the already open EcuFlash. If you see something like this: "FT232R...", you are on the right way. Besides, there should be two new devices at the "Device Manager", something like this: USB Serial Port and USB Serial Converter.

My EcuFlash 1.29a works perfectly with the last definitions. I only cleaned unnecessary papers, like "mitsubishi", etc. Also I removed all ROMs that are not directly related to my car, like "Forester Turbo", etc. Thus the program loads quicker.

If you could read (download) your ROM, you definately can fash it with this cable. But first "Test Write ECU", then "Write".

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I don't have a Legacy but someone sent me to this page from NASOC to help me fix my OBDII/USB cord to work. I have read all six pages here and all I could find on NASOC, but I still can't get it to work on my 02 WRX

1: I've tried Windows XP, 7 & OS X... now I only trying 7 or OS X with a HP Mini that came with XP but I did a wipe drive and made it a hackintosh OS X & win 7

2: I tried to use the latest RomRaider, I can get only the logger to work.

3: I tried ECUFlash 1.42 and got nothing at all

4: Now I have ECUFlash 1.29 and it wonts ot work...??? I think, this is

5: I have an eBay black OBDII/ USB like the blue one

[02:11:16.412] Version 1.29.906

[02:11:16.428] 8 memory models read.

[02:11:17.738] Unable to find parent metadata SM5236

[02:11:17.738] ROM metadata models SM5237.xml is invalid.

[02:11:41.294] 349 ROM metadata models read.

[02:11:41.294] checksum module "subarudbw" loaded.

[02:11:41.294] flashing tool "wrx02" loaded.

[02:11:41.294] flashing tool "wrx04" loaded.

[02:11:41.294] flashing tool "sti04" loaded.

[02:11:41.294] flashing tool "sti05" loaded.

[02:11:41.294] flashing tool "mitsukernel" loaded.

[02:11:41.294] flashing tool "mitsukernelocp" loaded.

[02:11:41.294] flashing tool "mitsubootloader" loaded.

[02:11:50.295] unable to open OpenPort device [ ].

[02:11:50.295] unable to connect to vehicle interface.

[02:12:09.515] unable to open OpenPort device [ ].

[02:12:09.515] unable to connect to vehicle interface.

[02:12:24.725] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start

[02:12:25.957] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start

[02:12:27.190] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start

[02:12:28.422] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start

[02:12:29.654] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start

[02:12:30.091] kernel get version

[02:13:00.246] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start

[02:13:01.479] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start

[02:13:02.711] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start

[02:13:03.943] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start

[02:13:05.176] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start

[02:13:05.628] kernel get version

in the lower right hand box has EOBd2-1260 47514789

AAAAAAaaaaa, I just don't know, any and all help would be GREAT...

[02:11:17.738] Unable to find parent metadata SM5236

[02:11:17.738] ROM metadata models SM5237.xml is invalid.

You need to get the right/un-corrupted ECU DEFINITIONS for ECU flash. That or you haven't pointed ECUflash to the directory where the defs are if you have them. And it also appears as if ECU flash doesn't know whatCOM port your cable is on.

Let's kick this pig!

Okay, the

[02:12:09.515] unable to open OpenPort device [ ].

[02:12:09.515] unable to connect to vehicle interface.

was me trying before the key was all the way on... I don't know if this helps...

???you haven't pointed ECUflash to the directory where the defs are if you have them???

I'm new to the Subaru things, I even put a switch on the green jumper wire to make it a lot faster. The fan do come on with the flashing check eng

When using RomRaider or ECUflash; you need to have the current ECU Definition files to go with them. If you have not downloaded the ECU defs and unzipped them and copied them in to the same directory as the ECUflash or RR software; then it won't work properly. The other option is to go into the menu for ECU flash and select ECU METADATA file location and go find where you downloaded the defs to.

Also, it appears as if you do not have the proper drivers installed for the cable or you have not selected the correct COM port for your cable. If the ECUflash software cannot see your cable it cannot use it to connect to the car. Make sense?

Most of this isn't a "Subaru Thing"; it's a matter of properly configuring the computer so RR/ECUflash software will be able to access the VAG-COM cable and connect to the ECU. If the RR logger is working ; then it's just a matter of configuring ECUflash software properly so it will work too.

Let's kick this pig!

Just verified the Ebay Vag-Com Cable I got. Connects using both Romraider and ECUflash. Thanks to everyone that have contributed to this thread. I'm currently running Vista on a HP laptop. Now to start logging:coffee:.

I received the cable from smooth-dealer under USB OBD2 OBDII Vag Com KKL Interface Cable for Audi VW about $14. It took 3 weeks to get.

klee314,

I ended up reading a bunch on on this website and romraider.com I downloaded the driver from the ftdichip website. After downloading the drivers (go here), I connected the cable & let device manager find it. I restarted my computer, reconnected the cable, and everything seems good to go. I think someone even mentioned windows update fixed it for them.

So let me ask this, I downloaded the 1st time ECUFlash with open port 2.0, now do I just install it, or do I need to add something after it's installed? I did what the instruction said for the cable. Plug in cable for Win 7 and if it updates by it self then I need to do no more. Maybe I'm missing something easy... One more thing with RR, with XP I put the files in one time and stayed but with 7 I have to put in every time.???

I changed my driver to the one that zenfamily posted, I'll try that as well

Whenever you install RR and ECUflash; you need to get/download the ECU Definitions which are additional files. Then you need to unzip them (if they are zipped). After that you need to copy the ECU Defs and/or Standard Units files to the folder where ECUflash or RR is installed.

Just right click on the ECUFlash or RR shortcut and look at the program location or click on the find target button. This is the directory you need to copy the ECU defs into.

Let's kick this pig!

Just so I get this right... :confused: I go to drive c, program file, RomRaider and drop the ECU_defs file in there???

Every time I turn on RR I get "setting file not found. Using default settings."

After that I get the RR 0.5.2 Beta release notes, then I click OK, up come the editor Configuration box with ECU definitions not configured. Go online and get the lastest yes/no. I click no because I all ready have it on the desk top and in the RR file main page. Then it tells you how to find add files needed. So I click on ECU Definitions manager click add, get the file off the desk top, click save, and refresh. The screen stays black and nothing. If I go to the logger, I do the same, add the logger file and it work just fine. I put that other file with it as well and didn't work.

Do you think it could be the cable???? The one I have looks like the blue one but it's black. Windows 7 loaded the cable as FTDI, I even changed the driver to what someone else said worked for them.

ECU Flash does the same thing as before. Even with two files I put in there.:confused:

Why does this seem so hard, I thought this would be a most a plug and play lol.... and I thank you for your help:)

I think I found out what it is, my cable is a Galletto 1260 OBDII EOBD ECU Flashing Cable not Vag-com, I'm just going to order the other cable and see if that works... Thank you all for the help unlike the forum I have been with the day after I got my WRX... THANK YOU from klee314 :)

edit: just ordered the one in the pic

Edited by klee314
added info

• 3 weeks later...
He all, so I just got the new cable in (same as the one that has worked for others on here) and I do good till here "[18:27:09.432] kernel get version" then it ends...??? I can do the logger and with Win 7 I can't get romraider to read. Sooooo, is someone here in Medfrod that might give me a hand??? Is there something EASY that I missed??? I tried ecuflash with 1.29 and nothing happened, so I updated to the newest one and got the error... any and all help would be great... Thank you

Anyone have any luck using this cable on an 07 (STi)... From what I've read they have an oddball computer; pre-canbus, but higher resolution than the previous model years... I bought an alpha-bid cable, and keep fighting it on my STi. Using version 1.29a, and the FTDi drivers It seems to have a connection, but shuts down when it does the "kernal read" thing (if that makes sense?)... Figured, "What the hell," and tried it on my Dad's 05 Sti, and his 05 LGT, and it worked great first try... I guess worst case scenario, he gets a working cable out of the deal :(

Want to try 1.42 with the tactrix drivers on with 07, but I can't seem to get the FTDi drivers off my computer, every time I plug the cable back in after an uninstall+reinstall it keeps picking up the original drivers, and not the tactrix.

Any suggestions?

• 5 weeks later...

Well Im happy to report I succussfully flashed my MY04 GT ECU tonight using the VAG-COM cable. After humming and harring whether to attempt it - I did it at my mates workshop with the tactrix 1.3M cable as a backup if the flash went wrong.... and well it didn't.

Using:

- ECU Flash 1.42

- the fore mentioned driver

- windows XP SP2

worked a treat. Test wrote first, worked fine, so did a full write. And now I have the timing backed off to bring the IAM back to 1.0 where it should be!