LegacyGT.com

Steering Knuckle + Ball Joint = A-Hole

Seriously. If you happen to live in an area where salt is used as a substitute for sensible driving, that thing is a sombitch.

Swapping LCA bushings seemed like a great idea, till I ran into that hellish assembly.

I managed to get the passenger side pinch bolt out without breaking it. Separating the ball joint from the knuckle involved driving a big ass chisel in to the knuckle and beating the steamy jesus out of the control arm with a dead blow hammer (PB Blaster liberally applied).

The corrosion on that ball joint was absolutely unreasonable. It was like an artifact salvaged from the tropical Atlantic. The pinch bolt itself was half rotted through. I was amazed that it didn't break.

The driver's-side one did break. I wasn't surprised. In fact, there was little swearing...just curiosity:

Why would one design a steering knuckle so that a bolt threads into it...particularly in an area that is basically a vagina, eagerly awaiting penetration by corrosives?

Luckily, in the end, everything was successfully disassembled, and hopefully reassembled properly. This post is a warning to anyone driving a Legacy in New England, and planning to remove a lower control arm: Pay someone else to do it.

To use that tool, the LCA already has to be off of the ball joint. So unless you're replacing the ball joint, that tool wont help with doing LCA bushings.

It's a great idea for removing the ball joint, though.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Archived