LegacyGT.com

When is too much horsepower too much?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The roads in Denver yesterday evening were an icy mess. My LGT was sliding around the whole way home from work. Cars all over in the ditches and up on curbs. A guy on E470 slid off the road, rolled and died. That car had no chance.

Driver error.

Summer only tires.

Life is about choices, people need to learn how to make the right choices. This driver just learned what happens when you make bad choices.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Summer tires on 32 degree day. Shame on the dealer for sending that car out under-equipped for conditions.

SRT-4 suffered the same issues on summer tires but way less HP.

Did you guys see the skid marks? is that tail end coming around and over correction?

http://cdn.streetlegaltv.com/image/2014/12/hellcat-carnage-this-one-left-the-lot-an-hour-later-it-is-totaled11.jpg

http://cdn.streetlegaltv.com/image/2014/12/hellcat-carnage-this-one-left-the-lot-an-hour-later-it-is-totaled12.jpg

It's a damn shame.

. . . That people with enough money to buy such powerful cars don't have enough brains to realize that they're in WAY over their heads.

Am I the only one who wishes he was at least permanently paralyzed?

It was the owners choice to drive it off the lot.

Have you read any of MrToad's rants? The Subie dealer really did the community a disservice by selling that wanker a SpecB.

I'm guessing salesperson was clueless about tires, as most ppl don't correlate summer tires with fall/winter driving.

Have you read any of MrToad's rants? The Subie dealer really did the community a disservice by selling that wanker a SpecB.

I'm guessing salesperson was clueless about tires, as most ppl don't correlate summer tires with fall/winter driving.

TheToad, not MrToad.

That would explain, though, where they started selling them, or at least, where the numbers came from. David's is an East Coast car, #24, and TheToad's is #18. . . One could even surmise that they might have been originally sold at the same dealership.

I don't think the tires have anything to do with this accident, the driver was showing off to his 2 passengers and was driving too fast for conditions. Drive like an asshat, crash like an asshat.
My wife's balls are delicious.

I would think the dealer wouldn't transfer the plates unless the DMV issued the registration. Which in most states can't happen if there's no insurance.

I wonder what his next policy will cost....:eek:

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You can't leave dealership without basic level of insurance. Whether or not his policy knew he had the car is a different story. You can get temporary insurance until yours kicks in.

I call bullshit. Illegals buy used minivans and SUVs every day of the week without insurance, or even a driver's license.

I call bullshit. Illegals buy used minivans and SUVs every day of the week without insurance, or even a driver's license.

Reading the laws in Colorado, there is a loophole where the dealer has 30 days to send off the paperwork, so you could, in theory, have expired / no insurance and drive a car off the lot.

From a dealer's perspective, that would be the ultimate in stupidity. However, you typically sign a financial contract as part of the sale that provides short term insurance.

It is easy to get insurance. Find a company that advertises on daytime TV. Visit. Buy policy, pay the down payment or the 1st month. Get card stating you have 6 months of coverage. Stop paying, get cancelled, use card indiscriminately.

A dealer could then say, but they showed me card that showed coverage! Look, I made a copy! I acted in good faith...

It is easy to get insurance. Find a company that advertises on daytime TV. Visit. Buy policy, pay the down payment or the 1st month. Get card stating you have 6 months of coverage. Stop paying, get cancelled, use card indiscriminately.

A dealer could then say, but they showed me card that showed coverage! Look, I made a copy! I acted in good faith...

That happens daily in Michigan. About 6 months ago, I had some asshat turn in front of me-about 20' in front of me while I was traveling about 35 mph and needles to say, I crushed the side of his Chevy Aveo POS. Cop was right there and saw it happen, and came over and of course, wrote them a ticket for failure to yield to oncoming traffic. Wife and son in the van and all the asshat could say was that I wrecked their car.

I got their insurance card, tried to sue for mini tort (it's a Michigan thing where you can get up to $1000 from other driver's insurance company-we have NO-FAULT bullshit here) and found out they had no insurance. They presented a ?valid? certificate to the cop, but when I filed, they had no insurance for over 60 days.

I, of course, had only minimal on my van (about 320K on it at the time...LOL) so I had it apart in about 45 minutes (after driving it home while their car was completely ruined and had to be put on a flatbed...heh heh heh) and for about $145.00 had a bumper cover, hood, fender, headlight, bumper support and was back on the road the next day after about 3 hours of work including going to the pick-n-pull yard to get the parts (even in matching white, I might add) and away I go still driving to this day at 339K and counting. :)

When I lived in MI as a starving college student, I thought the $200/year no-fault insurance was brilliant. Upon arrival in WA, where the same car/same record was $2k/year I was less than thrilled.

I did the "pay to get the cert and throw the bills in the trash" plan for quite awhile. And learned how the system works. Now I have full coverage with every option, as the risks just aren't worth it any more.

That kinda happened to me when I got rear ended in Maryland. Cops don't ever show up to those and I'm calling the insurance company to find out that person was dropped months ago. The next 2 rear ends I got into in the DMV were we wait for the cops or hand over money. One actually handed me money then the car got totaled out by my ex before I could even schedule a body shop appointment. Damn DMV drivers.

Archived