LegacyGT.com

ABS Wheel speed sensors

I have the common winter problem of the CEL, Flashing Cruise, and ErSS in the odometer. I've reset the ECU multiple times, cleaned off the offending wheel sensor, read every post on this issue, and keep getting the problem. Turns out, code C0107 has been displaying, indicated RH ABS speed sensor readings are abnormal. I took out the speed sensor and ordered a new one. Question is- anyone know how to test the ohms on this sensor? Should I spray some brake cleaner into the hole where the sensor sits to clean out the hub? Where is the magnetic ring for the ABS that produced the signal for the sensor and how to clean it off?? I'm sure I'm not the only person here with this issue, and it didn't go away on its own (around 1000 miles since it started). thanks, jeff.

I'm currently getting erratic Ohm readings between 30 and 130 ohms w/ the sensor off the car...

• 7 months later...

I don't get the CEL or flashing cruise, but otherwise have the same problem. PDX Tuning diagnosted that it was a bad right front speed sensor. Then they promptly went out of business, or at least stop wrenching on cars.

So today, I replace my right front speed sensor. It's a simple 10 minute job. Unfortunately, I take the car for a test drive and while the clicking is gone, when I hit 40 MPH, the ABS light is back on and "ERR SS" shows up again!

WTF?

Anyone know how to make this go away that does not involve a trip to the stealer? They wanted $90 bucks minimum to R&R this sensor. PDX Tuning was the same price, but they don't do this anymore.

Thanks.

I have the common winter problem of the CEL, Flashing Cruise, and ErSS in the odometer. I've reset the ECU multiple times, cleaned off the offending wheel sensor, read every post on this issue, and keep getting the problem. Turns out, code C0107 has been displaying, indicated RH ABS speed sensor readings are abnormal. I took out the speed sensor and ordered a new one. Question is- anyone know how to test the ohms on this sensor? Should I spray some brake cleaner into the hole where the sensor sits to clean out the hub? Where is the magnetic ring for the ABS that produced the signal for the sensor and how to clean it off?? I'm sure I'm not the only person here with this issue, and it didn't go away on its own (around 1000 miles since it started). thanks, jeff.

I'm currently getting erratic Ohm readings between 30 and 130 ohms w/ the sensor off the car...

• 4 years later...
I don't get the CEL or flashing cruise, but otherwise have the same problem. PDX Tuning diagnosted that it was a bad right front speed sensor. Then they promptly went out of business, or at least stop wrenching on cars.

So today, I replace my right front speed sensor. It's a simple 10 minute job. Unfortunately, I take the car for a test drive and while the clicking is gone, when I hit 40 MPH, the ABS light is back on and "ERR SS" shows up again!

WTF?

Anyone know how to make this go away that does not involve a trip to the stealer? They wanted $90 bucks minimum to R&R this sensor. PDX Tuning was the same price, but they don't do this anymore.

Thanks.

Bringing an old thread from the dead. Also got this code (I suck at searching this site, since I clearly didn't find this previously...used Google :S)

Anyways, any follow-up to either of the above? I'm about to perform this operation (replacement) tonight!? Fingers crossed, everything goes well and the CEL goes away

• 1 year later...
Having codes as stated in title have already changed out Front Driver ABS/wheel speed sensor with a Subaru oem one and it still showing its bad which is the c0104..any input greatly appreciated

• 3 months later...

Not a pro at this by any means, just pulling info from my previous research on my own personal SS error :rolleyes:

Having codes as stated in title have already changed out Front Driver ABS/wheel speed sensor with a Subaru oem one and it still showing its bad which is the c0104..any input greatly appreciated

C0104 = Front ABS wheel speed sensor LH

I have the abs light on and the err ss in my odometer. How can I diagnose which one is bad? Does anyone have a DIY on how to diagnose and replace?

1-) http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/error-ss-speed-sensor-faulty-ecu-uniti-91831.html?t=91831&highlight=p0500

If you follow this procedure (if its an 05 legacy only), than you should be able to pull a code from the dash.

2-) http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cel-codes-05-legacy-5876p3.html?highlight=p0546

Once you have the code, cross reference it with --the .pdf at the bottom of the above thread.

3-) Or if you have an OBD II code reader, it may pump you out the code :).

Good luck :)

There might be a way to read the actual code in the dashboard, but I fail (05 legacy NA)

I went to a local shop , they use the computer to read the abs module code. (simple obd reader can't read the abs code)

After I replaced my abs sensor, the erss code gone away right after I start the engine.

• 1 year later...

WTF?

Thanks.

Were you ever able to find the solution to this issue?

• 2 years later...

WTF?

Thanks.

Did anyone ever find the actual "what was wrong" My Legacy GT flashes sport with trouble getting into 2nd and or 3rd speed.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

There might be a way to read the actual code in the dashboard, but I fail (05 legacy NA)

I went to a local shop , they use the computer to read the abs module code. (simple obd reader can't read the abs code)

After I replaced my abs sensor, the erss code gone away right after I start the engine.

There was some method of cycling the key on off, on off, etc. and the odometer will display the code apparently.

I tried it for 30 minutes one day, 10 minutes another and just gave up.

My ABS + ErrSS comes on only after heavy snow/very humid, moisture related it seems..

One of the sticky's may have the directions. I have them saved on my home PC but not here at work.

Most/Any auto parts store will read the codes for free.

The service manual may have it too,

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...
There was some method of cycling the key on off, on off, etc. and the odometer will display the code apparently.

I tried it for 30 minutes one day, 10 minutes another and just gave up.

My ABS + ErrSS comes on only after heavy snow/very humid, moisture related it seems..

Every once and awhile my Legacy GT 2005 will start blinking the sport light on the dash, it occurs when it's shifting to 2nd. Any help on his issue, thanks!

Did the the code tell you which abs sensor was bad? I've heard some say a simple cleaning will solve the problem. Thank you!

Sent from my 5049W using Tapatalk

Not a pro at this by any means, just pulling info from my previous research on my own personal SS error :rolleyes:

C0104 = Front ABS wheel speed sensor LH

1-) http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/error-ss-speed-sensor-faulty-ecu-uniti-91831.html?t=91831&highlight=p0500

If you follow this procedure (if its an 05 legacy only), than you should be able to pull a code from the dash.

2-) http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cel-codes-05-legacy-5876p3.html?highlight=p0546

Once you have the code, cross reference it with --the .pdf at the bottom of the above thread.

3-) Or if you have an OBD II code reader, it may pump you out the code :).

Good luck :)

I viewed both links nothing on the issue of blinking Sports light/ abs speed sensor. Can you assist? Thanks!

Here you go. Came from the outback forum. I printed a copy and put it in my glove box. From what I can remember that procedure is actually in the FSM and it will tell you what the codes mean.
Thanks now to try it out..

• 1 year later...
Bought it on Amazon thanks I'll let you know how it works!

Its works great. I replaced the front sensor but the connector kept getting loose so the code would reappear, repaired that all codes cleared. Now a blinking sports light comes on. Most forums suggest changing the trans oil. I cant take the damn drain plug off. Any suggestions? Thank you. Sorry about the lapse I'm a disabled vet so there are some pretty long down times when my illness injuries start to act!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

First off Thanks for your service. I do donate to your cause. I'm a USAF vet myself.

Is this a 5mt or 5EAT car ?

For the 5mt drain plug I have found that a short 1/2" drive extension on a good 1/2" breaker bar with a 24" piece of 1" water pipe worked well in removing that funky plug with the torx T70 was it ?

You may need to hit the head of the breaker bar with a 3-5lbs hammer as your trying to break it free. That makes a home made impact tool.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Related inquiry. I just did a rear hub and the wheel speed sensors mount was broken and held in place by an additional washer. It seems like a loose fit, is there supposed to be some kind of seal or something on that? I feel like gunk could work down in there...