LegacyGT.com

Grimspeed Thermostat 160

OEM I believe is 180F, its what the ECU is set up for.

If you cold with a colder one the car will not run correctly...unless you re-tune for it.

Just get a OEM one and move on.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm running one and like it. As far as tuning, I only had to drop the fan temperatures accordingly. Everything else works fine as-is, closed loop, mileage, etc. Sad to hear it's discontinued, I'd definitely get another one if I ever had to.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

I'm running one and like it. As far as tuning, I only had to drop the fan temperatures accordingly. Everything else works fine as-is, closed loop, mileage, etc. Sad to hear it's discontinued, I'd definitely get another one if I ever had to.

How's your mpg ?

How's the heater work during cold weather ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

about 23 mpg, but not much highway involved.

heater works fine - plenty hot.

actual temp reported via the ecu is 167 to 174ish.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

i pref dont want to go oem. I have a tuner. so re tuning would not be a problem.

Go for it :) If you find the Grimmspeed 160, please let me know, I wouldn't mind buying another to have as a spare, especially if those are going away.

about 23 mpg, but not much highway involved.

heater works fine - plenty hot.

actual temp reported via the ecu is 167 to 174ish.

23mpg with little HGWY, seriously hard to believe unless you only drive down hill :eek:

i pref dont want to go oem. I have a tuner. so re tuning would not be a problem.

There must be a reason you can't find them, maybe they don't make them anymore because most use the OE!

23mpg with little HGWY, seriously hard to believe unless you only drive down hill :eek:

That's what my car is telling me. Doesn't seem out of place to me. I do have *some* highway, but it amounts to less than around town. Here's a MPG poll for reference. Maybe that thermostat is improving my mpg? ;)

Different thread but I get 27mpg on the HGWY @70 w/cruise but around town with hills I'm lucky to get 18mpg and I don't beat it either, well maybe I do a touch:)

I guess I'm just jealous!

What is the purpose of running at a lower temperature?

to be cool?

174636_138361816226779_1776615_q.jpg.e85880bd56dddcf8069e4d3446412f7b.jpg

Seriously though, googling the subject reveals a VAST argument of millions of posts on whether or not it helps/hurts knocking/mileage/oil viscosity/etc. I just figured roughly 25 degrees cooler engine might be nice.

Doesn't it always seem more powerful just before the engine warms up to full operating temp? Maybe that can be partially achieved this way?

The problem I had with my aftermarket t stat, it would stay stuck open. And it took forever to warm up . I drive in the city about 15 minutes to work and had days where temps were still too low. I'm sure my oil was plenty hot but the ecu reads of coolant temp, soo I went back to oe. Mine was a mishimoto stat. I also have their radiator, so may have contributed

to be cool?

[ATTACH]167898[/ATTACH]

Seriously though, googling the subject reveals a VAST argument of millions of posts on whether or not it helps/hurts knocking/mileage/oil viscosity/etc. I just figured roughly 25 degrees cooler engine might be nice.

Doesn't it always seem more powerful just before the engine warms up to full operating temp? Maybe that can be partially achieved this way?

Heh, no, I've never found it be more powerful before it warms up, and if you find that to be the case, it may simply be that the intercooler is still cool as well as other intake components.

Personally, I'll stick to stock temperature. The engine was designed to be operating at the higher temperature and if there were an advantage to running at a cooler temperature, I have a feeling Subaru or other car manufacturers would've caught onto that long ago.

Archived