LegacyGT.com

Trouble Closing Glove Compartment

Make sure to push the lid from the center, right above or below the handle, but if you're 5' tall, trade the car for something smaller, like a Chevy Aveo.:)

Edit: Mine has always closed right from the first time using the method above.

I keed I keeed

Me too. My problem is that while the actual opening is OK in size, the useable space is pretty small. Any objects with more than a minimal thickness will take up more than the small space available on the right and very far left hand sides inside the box. Besides some maps, folded paper towels, envelope with insurace and registration cards, and a few other flat paper items, I keep a small flashlight and small box of kleenex in there. Things have to be aranged properly (flashlight or kleenex can't be on the sides) otherwise the lid won't catch without slamming it and squashing things inside. More weak engneering/lack to attention to details. Minor, but annoying.

Ahhhhhh Ok... So I'm not alone with this problem.... There are OTHER peeps out there slamming away with the lids of their glove compartments as well. I've actually done this in parking lots a few times and had folks looking at me rather strangely as I sit there and repeatedly slam my glove compartments lid trying in vain to get the thing to latch. LOL :=)

I usually try to play off the ADD/OCD angle. Slamming the door while screaming and hitting my head on the dashboard! I tend to get looks looks of sympathy that way! In all seriousness though, I am planning on asking the dealership about this issue the next time I take the LGT in.

Me too. My problem is that while the actual opening is OK in size, the useable space is pretty small. Any objects with more than a minimal thickness will take up more than the small space available on the right and very far left hand sides inside the box. Besides some maps, folded paper towels, envelope with insurace and registration cards, and a few other flat paper items, I keep a small flashlight and small box of kleenex in there. Things have to be aranged properly (flashlight or kleenex can't be on the sides) otherwise the lid won't catch without slamming it and squashing things inside. More weak engneering/lack to attention to details. Minor, but annoying.

+1

I've noticed that the glovebox looks huge when opened, but really doesn't hold that much. I've got three or four folded maps and a pen or two, and that's about it. I tried putting two CD cases in there and it wouldn't shut.

Mine used to rattle, but I got it adjusted at the dealer. Sometimes it takes 2-3 tries to close. I agree, it looks like the compartment holds a lot, but space is really lacking. I have a few folded maps, paper, pens and a small maglite flashlight. Kinda sad that the owners manual can't fit in there!

• 3 months later...

I've had the same experience of the glovecompartmentnot staying shut. Opposite of the way I want to do it, especially when frustrated, closing it slowly from the center seems to work everytime.

Al

This problem annoys the hell out of me. However, I have discovered a new technique since closing it gently from the middle does NOT work for me. From the driver's side, as I close the glover box, I pull ever so gently towards me while I close it. Works everytime now. Try that.

Has anyone had success with having it adjusted by the dealer?

I tried, they said its me not the car. They bent the metal latch down a little bit and it seemed to help. Push it up from the middle and it should close every time.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

• 2 weeks later...
i find its a great stress reliever. i keep a few maps and some bags for nasty clothes from work in there. if the bags/maps are not perfectly centered the box will not close. which is great when you need a quick stress relief. slam the hell out of the box 10 or so times and all is well. move the piece that is out of center and all is well again and the box closes.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

• 5 months later...

someone has already mentioned this and I was up to the same conclusion, it's temperature related. Below 40F it's a crap shoot, below 30F it's almost impossible.

This implies it's a marginal latch design that moves slightly out of spec when cold, shrinkage, and causes the latch to not clasp.

I plan on looking at it this weekend and seeing if there is any way of moving the two parts of the latch closer together. If that's possible it should provide enough additional material for the latch to stay engaged, regardless of temperature.

Archived