LegacyGT.com

Muffler Delete- Replace with ???

GP2001

Hey guys, so I went to do the hogzaust the other night, just so I could actually enjoy the noise of having a subaru a little bit more. Well, the exhaust bolts were STUCK, and I mean stuck. I went to a local shop where I know the guys there to hit them with the air tools. No go, so long story short we had to take an asetaline torch and cut them off. However I did not have new bolts with me at the time, so I just bagged the mufflers temporarily and threw threm in the trunk.

Honestly, I think it sounds pretty good like this, finally sounds like a Subaru. It looks retarded right now though since I have two empty cut outs in the valence:cool: I know some people say its rednecky/rude because its so loud, but it really isnt loud at all. My friends Camaro with headers and borla exhaust is a TON louder, as well as my friends 240sx with an SR swap and 3in exhaust. I even checked and pulled in my driveway, called the house and asked for them to listen. I revved it up really high, then I pulled out did a quick flyby flooring it, then went inside. Said they could not hear anything.

So, I really like the sound, a tad bit loud for me but not horrendous. I was thinking of maybe replacing the mufflers with something like a glasspack or something, not sure how that would sound. What do you guys think about that idea? I want to keep the tone, but quite it up a little bit. I would love a real exhaust, I want Borla, but at this point in time spending $600 on an exhaust would be foolish. If I dont figure out what I'm doing within a day or two I am just going to put the mufflers back on with the washer and see how the hogzaust sounds. Must say, I love the rumble with no mufflers...

Bought my X02 mid and y-pipes for $150 and i was thinking about getting a straight pipe to a tip because I can afford $400-$500 on a set of mufflers...

I have the hogwash in right now with the stock mid and y-pipes and it definitely isnt loud

Honestly, I think it sounds pretty good like this, finally sounds like a Subaru. It looks retarded right now though since I have two empty cut outs in the valence:cool: I know some people say its rednecky/rude because its so loud, but it really isnt loud at all. My friends Camaro with headers and borla exhaust is a TON louder, as well as my friends 240sx with an SR swap and 3in exhaust. I even checked and pulled in my driveway, called the house and asked for them to listen. I revved it up really high, then I pulled out did a quick flyby flooring it, then went inside. Said they could not hear anything.

^ that would be me you're talking about there. :lol:

if you HAVE to go w/o mufflers, and you dont mind cannibalizing the stockers, what I would do is just have a muffler shop cut them open and run a pipe straight through. Have them cut them on the top so you cant see it from the bottom.

then it will look like you have mufflers and dual oem tips, but it will be as loud as you want it.

and people like me will go crazy recording you and filing noise complaints about you leaving in the middle of the night with it and waking us up. :lol:

I'm so glad I dont live around any of you. :lol: I cant stand the camaro behind me. I'm planning to move because of it.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

^ that would be me you're talking about there. :lol:

if you HAVE to go w/o mufflers, and you dont mind cannibalizing the stockers, what I would do is just have a muffler shop cut them open and run a pipe straight through. Have them cut them on the top so you cant see it from the bottom.

then it will look like you have mufflers and dual oem tips, but it will be as loud as you want it.

and people like me will go crazy recording you and filing noise complaints about you leaving in the middle of the night with it and waking us up. :lol:

I'm so glad I dont live around any of you. :lol: I cant stand the camaro behind me. I'm planning to move because of it.

Yeah it was you I was talking about mainly:rolleyes: lol Trust me when I say I am not a fan of overly loud exhaust, it is surprisingly quiet under normal driving conditions, but I would still like it to be a bit quiter. I can definitely agree with you with regard to people who go flooring it down the road at night with very loud exhausts. I just find it to be rude and inconsiderate of other people. If you like a loud exhaust, fine, but drive it easy especially in residential areas at night, just common courtesy of your neighbors.

This is the reason the first thing I did was call my house and have them listend for me, revved in the driveway and then did a driveby and they heard nothing, so I am good to go :lol:

Thats not a bad idea about ahving them run a pipe through the stock muffler can to keep it looking nice, I HATE half ass done stuff, it just ruins cars, so I have trouble trying to work on the car but not be irresponsible and dump all my money into it. I still would like something to quite it up a little more though....

So, what do you exhaust experts think? Glasspack,cherry bomb? What would be more free flowing than a stock muffler, but not as loud as open pipes? ( Don't say aftermarket mufflers, lol I havent found any I like, I love the Borla Exhaust, but don't know what type of mufflers from them would be good.) I essentially want to hear the signautre subaru exhaust note, with a deep low rumble that isn't loud while driving normal, but is agressive when you are driving it harded, I hate rasp and anything overly loud.

Edit: BTW darkfox your 1 post away from 6,000 posts!

This is the reason the first thing I did was call my house and have them listend for me, revved in the driveway and then did a driveby and they heard nothing, so I am good to go :lol:

They are either completely deaf or don't like you and want you to get an exhaust ticket. :) I know firsthand it's not as loud as one would expect, but to regular people it might as well be a freight train.

I'm running the XO2 cbe. Even though I don't think my exhaust is that loud, my friends always hear me coming down the street.

What about an electric cutout and reuse your stock mufflers? It'll make old farts like Darkfox happy. :lol:

holy crap 126 posts since I was in this thread last?

*has no idea where hes saying all this crap but must be saying it somewhere :lol: *

I'm not an old fart! just a fart. :p

+1 for cutouts btw. Make sure you get a good brand tho.. you dont want them getting stuck or leaking. I can imagine exhaust temperatures do one hell of a number on the reliability of an electric servo.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

holy crap 126 posts since I was in this thread last?

*has no idea where hes saying all this crap but must be saying it somewhere :lol: *

I'm not an old fart! just a fart. :p

+1 for cutouts btw. Make sure you get a good brand tho.. you dont want them getting stuck or leaking. I can imagine exhaust temperatures do one hell of a number on the reliability of an electric servo.

You are a post whore,lol I like cutouts, the electric ones are nice but obviously more likely to get stuck, although for the cost of getting a decent one for $250, then paying to have it welded in, I would rather save a couple hundred more and just get myself a nice borla exhaust.

BTW I have my mufflers back on now just with the washers, so a conventional hogzaust and I like the sound. Kept the the deep tone and burble but doesnt sound like crap when flooring it and got rid of the drone.

For financial purposes I will prob just keep it like this for a long time, once I actual start a real career and start seeing that I have consistent excess money on the side then I will start to play a little bit:D

heh, well good luck with that.. all this excess money I always thought i'd have has been tied up in this or that.. :lol:

right now all my money goes into the "move far far away" fund.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...
Yeah it was you I was talking about mainly:rolleyes: lol Trust me when I say I am not a fan of overly loud exhaust, it is surprisingly quiet under normal driving conditions, but I would still like it to be a bit quiter. I can definitely agree with you with regard to people who go flooring it down the road at night with very loud exhausts. I just find it to be rude and inconsiderate of other people. If you like a loud exhaust, fine, but drive it easy especially in residential areas at night, just common courtesy of your neighbors.

Thats not a bad idea about ahving them run a pipe through the stock muffler can to keep it looking nice, I HATE half ass done stuff, it just ruins cars, so I have trouble trying to work on the car but not be irresponsible and dump all my money into it. I still would like something to quite it up a little more though....

So, what do you exhaust experts think? Glasspack,cherry bomb? What would be more free flowing than a stock muffler, but not as loud as open pipes? ( Don't say aftermarket mufflers, lol I havent found any I like, I love the Borla Exhaust, but don't know what type of mufflers from them would be good.) I essentially want to hear the signautre subaru exhaust note, with a deep low rumble that isn't loud while driving normal, but is agressive when you are driving it harded, I hate rasp and anything overly loud.

Edit: BTW darkfox your 1 post away from 6,000 posts!

I can feel your pain. I'm too damn old to have loud exhaust anymore since I gave up muscle cars back in the 70's when I was young. I started another thread about ebay catback system for less than $300 and it's just too damn loud for me too. The one nice thing about it though is that rather than being one piece from the cat all the way back to the mufflers like the OE system, it has a short pipe in the middle and I'm going to cut it and put some sort of glasspack or turbo muffler in it to quiet the thing down some. With the system being made like it is, it does give more options to make it quieter without too much restriction on the flow.

Salty means good in this situation??

Been highly considering those deletes on my 3.0R.

Salty meaning expensive. I'm sure you could have someone with an exhaust tubing bender (muffler shop IF you trust them or private shop) make these for you for a LOT less. You could also then choose your own type of tip rather than be relegated to the exhaust tip that comes on them as standard. I didn't notice where you live, but stainless on just these pieces would be pretty much a waste of material cost as you can't see them and aluminized pipes up where the mufflers normally hang will most likely never rust out. The tips are what you can see and finding those in stainless would be your best bet. They will be a little more expensive, but you'll have them forever.

I don't know how handy you are, but you might also find a couple of flanges and piece your own muffler delete pipes together for cheap just to see if you actually like the way they sound. That way, if you really want to spend the $300 and get these particular ones, then you'll know how they sound already and at least feel like it's money well spent. You can purchase curves and straight pieces easily at most any parts store, and if you start at the flange where the stock muffler connects, it will be a simple matter of rounding the corner and cutting to length. Hangers can be easily made by using 3/8" steel rod and simply clamping them to the pipe with muffler clamps or even hose clamps just for temporary.

Hope this helps.;)

Hey guys, so I went to do the hogzaust the other night, just so I could actually enjoy the noise of having a subaru a little bit more. Well, the exhaust bolts were STUCK, and I mean stuck. I went to a local shop where I know the guys there to hit them with the air tools. No go, so long story short we had to take an asetaline torch and cut them off. However I did not have new bolts with me at the time, so I just bagged the mufflers temporarily and threw threm in the trunk.

So, I really like the sound, a tad bit loud for me but not horrendous. I was thinking of maybe replacing the mufflers with something like a glasspack or something, not sure how that would sound. What do you guys think about that idea? I want to keep the tone, but quite it up a little bit. I would love a real exhaust, I want Borla, but at this point in time spending $600 on an exhaust would be foolish. If I dont figure out what I'm doing within a day or two I am just going to put the mufflers back on with the washer and see how the hogzaust sounds. Must say, I love the rumble with no mufflers...

You could try some small Magnaflow turbo mufflers. I would bet they would sound pretty decent and still give you a good rumble.

Yeah I had a salty taste in my mouth but I got them. I couldn't see spending the extra $500 for a full system for and have the same sound. It's either resonator delete, performance mufflers for $850 or resonator with muffler delete for $300. Once I go looking for more power out of it I'm gonna replace the resonator with a high flow muffler if that's possible LoL

I had the mufflers off and enjoyed the EZ30R sound, but I don't want to melt the rear fender liners. I did the "hogzawst" mod with two washers on each bolt, and that was rather ricey to me. Not to mention it was a fancy exhaust leak with a build up of carbon. They have an option to black out the muffler deletes, I'm within inches of clicking 'submit.'

Here's the deletes I had made by a local shop for the car.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4595.jpg

Here's the under side when they were on the wagon.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4158.jpg

Here's the sound on the Spec B

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/th_VID00001.jpg

I paid $200 or 250 for them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Here's the deletes I had made by a local shop for the car.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4595.jpg

Here's the under side when they were on the wagon.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4158.jpg

Here's the sound on the Spec B

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/th_VID00001.jpg

I paid $200 or 250 for them.

The best thing about doing that is they will install them, custom adjust everything, and make sure that they fit in the exhaust cutouts in the rear valance EXACTLY the way you want them to. Those look like they fit very nicely in the cutouts.

Yes the Spec in the sound clip is stock exhaust less mufflers. It is also on Cobb AP stage 1. It is now on a custom tune by http://www.tuningalliance.com

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

Archived