LegacyGT.com

How long do the factory struts last?

I am the original owner of a 2005 LGT/5EAT. It has 9 Canadian winters in it and 119,500 km (74,000 mi). It is factory stock and has had no accidents. My Subaru dealer always says it's one of the cleanest and best-kept '05s they've seen.

Does anyone have any opinion about how long the factory struts should last? The car is not handling badly - other than as one might expect for the use it's seen. But I've been noticing a lot more suspension noise, like rumbling, over small bumps, lately. I hear it more on a snowy road with small bumps; with less tire/road noise the suspension noise is more noticeable, I guess.

After a fair amount of searching on this forum I have not found any references to when these struts may start to go. When I changed over to snow tires a couple of months ago, there was no sign of struts leaking and all seemed tight when I grabbed and shook stuff. The wheel bearings feel tight and they're quiet.

Now I'm thinking the struts may just be worn and getting loose internally, even though the car feels in control. That or could it be some suspension bushings starting to go? That would probably be more expensive to fix than replacing the struts.

Anyone had this experience and been successful fixing it?

Your due... Dampening is probably not the same at this stage. When I replaced mine just reused the springs since there was no goals of changing ride height.

Bushings on the LCA and ball joints would be the next items on the list to do at the same time.

erama, The noise has been getting worse under the same conditions. I hadn't noticed it last winter. Something is looser than it was even 20k Km ago.

kzr750r1, Hard to notice a slow degradation in dampening over years so it may be going - all I can detect is the rumbling/looseness noise. I'm hoping I don't have to go through a series of trail and error replacements to fix this.

I didn't replace mine until last Jan, about 170,000 miles. The car was fine, with the sotck shocks. Its a matter of how picky you are.

If there are not leaking and your not a race car driver...leave them alone. Now sway bar end links on these cars are junk, if your getting a knock going slow over cracks in the driveway, thats the issue.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah I hear you but what pushed me over the edge was the rear hitting bump stops over the woop sections of concreat slabs at freeway speed.

Changing the LCA main bushing and struts tightened up the whole thing for quite a while. I now have to replace the front end links again. Searching for a clunk and the ball joint replacement didn't nail it.

Considering replacing the rest of the bushings on the LCA as I didn't replace all in one shot, should have. STI/group N main bushing still looks good. Nothing like the stock unit that by this time was for sure 90% wasted.

At 108k now mine appear fine. I've got a clunk over some bumps and think it's the ball joints.

Before you do a ball joint, check the end links. Cheaper then a ball joint job and these cars are known for weak end links.

I'm sure you know the PITA a ball joint replacemnet can be.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Before you do a ball joint, check the end links. Cheaper then a ball joint job and these cars are known for weak end links.

I'm sure you know the PITA a ball joint replacemnet can be.

Did you replace your end links or had they loosened up?

Yeah, the ball joints are a PITA. Was rather hoping jut to leave it be :)

I did the end links years ago.

Last summer after the left front ball joint was replaced in the summer of 2012, I got a light knock again. I bought two Moog end links and replaced the Perrin's. knock was still there. Took it to my trusted mechanic for the tranny issue I had, last summer 2013, 3rd gear issue), He replace that ball joint again and covered it under warrenty and replace the right too. and also the 3 or 4 year old left axle.

If your going to DIY ball joint, I'd recommend buying the spindle for that side too and just replace the assembly. The first ball job they spent 3 hours labor on the broken bolt and cracked spindle, the spindle is like $120, much cheaper then the labor.

My buddies at the dealership parts counter, had the spindle shipped overnight and they delivered it the mechanic.

I put 130k mi on mine before I had all the struts replaced. My commute switched from highway to city driving and all the pot holes and bumpy roads made the car feel too sloppy for my comfort. Had I stuck with smooth highway driving I could haven gotten another 10-20k.

...Changing the LCA main bushing and struts tightened up the whole thing for quite a while. I now have to replace the front end links again. Searching for a clunk and the ball joint replacement didn't nail it.

Considering replacing the rest of the bushings on the LCA as I didn't replace all in one shot, should have. STI/group N main bushing still looks good. Nothing like the stock unit that by this time was for sure 90% wasted.

Would you recommend replacing the LGT's bushings with STI bushings, or would the OEM bushings do? I drive "moderately"; quicker than most but nowhere near 10/10ths and I never felt the need to mod. the suspension.

From what I've read, my problem may be the end links or bushings rather then the struts.

Would you recommend replacing the LGT's bushings with STI bushings, or would the OEM bushings do? I drive "moderately"; quicker than most but nowhere near 10/10ths and I never felt the need to mod. the suspension.

From what I've read, my problem may be the end links or bushings rather then the struts.

At that milage I would expect some degreidateion of the main LCA bushing. I kick myself for not replacing all as it's just better use of labor replacing while the unit was apart in the first place.

Yes if you have not changed end links then for sure those could use a refresh.

The OBXT had a notoriously bad (soft) LCA bushing. Not sure of the track record of the GT version. Can't hurt to put the STI unit in there and would last a good long time. Mine still look good after 50K ish.

At that milage I would expect some degreidateion of the main LCA bushing. I kick myself for not replacing all as it's just better use of labor replacing while the unit was apart in the first place.

Yes if you have not changed end links then for sure those could use a refresh.

The OBXT had a notoriously bad (soft) LCA bushing. Not sure of the track record of the GT version. Can't hurt to put the STI unit in there and would last a good long time. Mine still look good after 50K ish.

I did my LCA and end links all within the last month. Handles like new on original suspension. Love it. $60 in end links and $80 in bushings, a few hours work and I might be in love.

Archived