LegacyGT.com

Wool over eyes?

Dear Subaru gurus,

Help! I have a '96 Legacy Outback that I bought used 3 years ago.

Took it in last week to have the left front axle replaced, but in the process the shop damaged the tone ring (spindle?) so now my ABS is kicking on all the time, even under normal braking conditions. They told me it was safe to drive like this until I get it fixed.

So my questions:

1. The shop said the tone ring broke because it was rusted (probable - the car saw many snowy winters before I got it) and they had a heck of time working on the axle. They did not offer to fix the tone ring even though it broke under their work. Obviously the rust is not their fault, nor is it mine. Is it feasible that a tone ring might be damaged while fixing an axle?

2. If so, should they fix it for free?

3. In the case that they don't pay for it, they quoted me $125 for a new tone ring. Is that reasonable?

THANKS for your input in advance!

$125 is cheap, they have to pull out of the wheel bearing and the steering knuckle. i don't think any shop will replace a wheel bearing for that price, the bearings are ~$50.

they probably are planning on reusing the wheel bearing, not a good idea.

ask them to repair the tone ring, it should not have broken. i can't believe a reputable shop would pull this. some one screwed up. i have replaced lots of axles and have never touched the tone ring.

you need a different shop.

make them fix it.

Your car is almost 16 years old, with tons of winter use. At that age, it's possible that the tone ring broke in the process of replacing the axle. Sometimes these things happen.

Pinch bolts on the knuckle can seize and snap without much provocation on older rusted cars. If you asked them to replace the ball joint, and that bolt snapped, would you expect them to buy you a new knuckle and replace it for free? Or would you expect them to fix it for free? No.

If it was the result of them being careless, I can understand. But if it's not the result of them being careless, then it's not really their responsibility to pay for the repair.

What likely happened, was that the axle was seized in the hub and the ring broke when they were getting it out.

If this is the first "dishonest" experience you've had with this shop, then it probably was not the result of carelessness.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

That's bs, they need to pay for that and fix it. They were obviously being careless, that should not have even been touched when replacing the axle. It's reasons like this and the "oh yea, ___ part needs replaced too" extra shit that made me start working on my cars myself. I only go to a shop if I'm having a serious problem with a part myself.

Archived