LegacyGT.com

I need an Intake

GetErDun

You know, I'm aware that the intake isn't really needed. Nor will it bump performance much if at all, and yet...

I miss the intake from my WRX. I loved being able to hear the turbo spool up. I loved being able to hear the *whoosh* between shifts, without it being so loud and useless as a vent to atmosphere BOV.

Necessary, no. Fun, but not over the top? IMHO, yes.

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do a search and make up your own mind. I have the SPT, done data logs and see no problem. It lowered my 0-60 by .1 of a second. Also the sound and the looks far outweighs others. Along with being able to retain my warranty no questions asked. Here is my thread on mine: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54636

Thanks Prime power, I Definitely like to hear the intake\compressor more but everyone is saying panel filter not intake? I will have to think it through as I have not even broken my car in yet (239 miles), did you do the install or did you have the dealer do it?
Infamous Tuned

Here is a link to the upgrade defs: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48123

Secondly, it doesn't work yet. But they are working on it. As for warranty, unless it is a problem unrelated to the drivetrain, you could probably kiss it goodbye depending on the dealership. I.E. if your tranny goes, they could easily blame the upgrade in power and not cover it. Going SPT intake and exhaust keeps you in the warranty. But if you want to keep it, I don't recommend getting a tune. Again though, depends on the dealership.

Like the others have said, at anything less than "Stage II" power levels, you're basically only looking at aftermarket intakes to supply an aural gratification - nothing more, nothing less. :)

On an otherwise stock vehicle, it's of-debate whether or not an aftermarket intake will add more power (current evidence says that it probably will add just a little bit, but that it may not be "real-world noticeable/butt-dynoable" [ potentially, the extra noise generated in the intake tract can make you feel as-if your vehicle is going much faster :D ], although quantifiable), as well as will it somehow "harm" the vehicle (current data points to some lean pleateaus as well as slightly raised EGTs, but not to a level of "concern" by most hobbyist interpretations).

At higher power levels and/or combined with other modifications (including ECU tuning), it would be wise for you to set up the vehicle's tune specifically with your chosen intake in-place, so that the intake's characteristics can be accounted for and safety considerations be further expanded.

Some intakes are known to be harder to compensate for than others, and the various intakes produce power results (good or bad) differently on different applications/vehicles. Same goes for filter maintenance considerations.

Generally, if you're only planning to stay "Stage I" or "Stage II" - i.e. anything short of running a non-stock turbo - it is recommended that you simply replace the stock panel filter with an aftermarket high-flow model and retain the stock airbox, which flows perfectly fine, and has one of the best heat-protection seen outside of a true cold-air intake setup. You can also remove the intake silencer/resonator if you desire even more noise.

A true cold-air intake can be of great benefit, but concerns for weathering will be a worry for those who live in foul-weather areas. Also, an aftermarket tune is tyipcally necessary to extract full-potential from such a setup

----

As for "Staging," Magic's post is pretty much the standard convention for our BP/BL Legacies, but note that this is just that, a convention.

Different tuners will have different definitions of what their "Stages" contain in terms of both hardware modifications as well as ECU tuning. Check with your chosen tuner to find out what items are billed as what under THEIR CONVENTION. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Thanx TSi+WRX for your detailed answer....... I am definitely keeping the car and I have definitely want to keep the warranty in place. I got it from Reza at Santa Monica Subaru and he mentioned that he could assist with some things (in case I do mod?). From what I hear he is pretty good but I amprobably onna play it safe for a while.

By the way what is AP?

Infamous Tuned

^ No problem, and no thanks needed. :) Just glad to help.

I'm an "intake addict." I love the sound. :redface: And yes, I spent money to have the vehicle tuned just so I could keep my intake of-choice, and my tuner hated ;) me for it. :lol:

As for the warranty issue, based on that alone, I would choose the SPT intake. Alternatively, speak to Reza to see what he can do for you, should you choose others.

"AP" denotes the Cobb Tuning AccessPORT, which is an end-user enabled ECU reflash device. It is also professional/hobbyist tuner enabled, allowing use of semi-custom as well as custom mapping from both sources. The Version 1 AP was a bulkier unit designed more for either temporary vehicle mounting or stationary tuning use, while the new V2 can be used as a true in-vehicle tool, and is enabled for many more ancillary functions. I am un-certain if your 07 would be compatible with the V1.

The AccessPORT is one of the most popular tuning tools used with late-model turbocharged Subarus.

For more information, look on Cobb Tuning's commercial website. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Do a search and make up your own mind. I have the SPT, done data logs and see no problem. It lowered my 0-60 by .1 of a second. Also the sound and the looks far outweighs others. Along with being able to retain my warranty no questions asked. Here is my thread on mine: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54636

I also love the SPT and have gotten compliments on both it's sound and looks.

Archived