LegacyGT.com

Prototype clutch install 05 lgt competition clutch

branab3

To anyone who may be interested, I am installing this weekend a prototype clutch, pressure plate and flywheel from Competition clutch. It is a proposed stage 4 with a billet, single mass, flywheel. I am anxious to see the results, my car is otherwise stock at this point, only because the warranty has finally expired. I have included a pic of the set-up. I will keep you posted...........:confused:

Photo_091509_001.thumb.jpg.92cf8d1612d97a7cf2bc1e50c89b5e52.jpg

100_5812.thumb.jpg.eae71d73c809c5ff3f05fe1c34c8433f.jpg

Well, the clutch assembly is in and feels great! The light flywheel helps the engine wind up and wind down faster. Improved acceleration, tighter clutch engagment with a lot of grab, yet streetable! I am pleased, still need to break it in more, but so far, so good. This will most likely be a new part number addition for Competition Clutch. I can get info to anyone who needs it. I have not compared this to other clutch manufacturers, so I can not offer differences between this and everyone else's, but compared to the factory dual-mass set up, I like this much better, it gives the car a much better performance feel than stock. I will update after 5,000 miles, knowing as much as I drive, should be by the end of October!

Well, the clutch assembly is in and feels great! The light flywheel helps the engine wind up and wind down faster. Improved acceleration, tighter clutch engagment with a lot of grab, yet streetable! I am pleased, still need to break it in more, but so far, so good. This will most likely be a new part number addition for Competition Clutch. I can get info to anyone who needs it. I have not compared this to other clutch manufacturers, so I can not offer differences between this and everyone else's, but compared to the factory dual-mass set up, I like this much better, it gives the car a much better performance feel than stock. I will update after 5,000 miles, knowing as much as I drive, should be by the end of October!

Interested in part number(s).

• 1 month later...

Well, I have removed the original clutch pressure plate and flywheel after two months and 4100 miles. It is a great clutch for the track, however I am city/highway driving much much more than I am at the track. So I went back to Competition Clutch, told them my results, requested something a little more streetable, and voila! they send me a 19lb flywheel, instead of the 12 lb., little less agressive clutch disc and the same pressure palte, I r/r the clutch and the first test drive is sweeeet!!! Smooth as silk, a little more torque, so it actually builds a smoother power transition, a little heavier pedal than stock, due to strong pressure plate, but all day driveablity!!!!! They are releasing part numbers soon and have 25 flywheels about to hit production based on my results. At this point there looks like it will be one that is a little more aggresive (track) and one for the street. They have many ways of helping with custom applications also. If your car has much more power than stock, and you don't think either setup will suit you, then call them and let them know your hp and driving habits, and they should help you find the match you are looking for. www.competitionclutch.com

I will be happy to answer any questions any one has also. After doing three clutch assemblies in my LGT, I somewhat feel like I know what I am doing now.

Photo_111509_003.thumb.jpg.236f91eb7a2d228d131bcfc2f890c77e.jpg

• 3 years later...
Four years later, I am replacing this. I have added about 80,000 miles and some upgrades. It isn't slipping or failing, it just feels week and creaky. So I am replacing with their clutch again. Good stuff

Good to hear you got some good use out of this set up.

Sounds like it's something more guy's should look into.

I'm Spec clutch guy myself.

Have had good results with the Spec 2+ and love my current Spec 2 in my wagon.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It is really been impressive. But I never really launched it much or abused it either. Just drove it and sometimes drove it hard, maybe too hard....

Anyway, I look forward to what they have in store for me next!

We worked directly with Comp during the design/engineering of the newer LGT clutches as well as the WRX/STi clutches. All Current LGT offerings require the Comp LWFW. For customers of ours that are ok with a LWFW, the Comp set up is at the top of the recommended list. 25 track days and counting on our LGT Stage3 set up.

Archived