LegacyGT.com

96 Legacy Wagon Roof Rack Removal

xg5a

Hi,

First of all i'm new here, and i'm not exactly sure that this is the right section to post this, so please be understanding.

I have a 96 Legacy Wagon that I purchased last spring. While I absolutely love the car, i've always wished that it didn't have the ugly roof rack. I never use it, and when I see a car like mine without the rack, I am very jealous. Being a college student, and because of this also having limited funds, i'm always looking for ways to increase my gas mileage, and I read that the roof rack can have a significant negative impact on mileage. So I was wondering if it is possible to remove the roof rack. I took a look at it, but was worried that I would get leaks in the roof, and wasn't sure how the rails that run the length of the car attach, since there is a rubber gasket covering everything up. I do have a fair amount of technical experience, but I figured it would be best to try to find somebody experienced in this before I go screw something up. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

unless you are running bikes up on the rack or something like that, doubt you'd notice THAT much of a difference. I never did. maybe a couple miles or so. I'd just take the cross bars off (if you have them) and leave the rails on.

and welcome!:cool:

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

well, the cross bars are off, but the parts that attach to the car are still there. I got almost all of them off, but then when I was on the last mount(rear left), the inserts in the roof that the screws go into slipped, started turning, and made removing the mount impossible (without removing the interior to get to it from the bottom.) That is beyond my skill level, so I was forced to put the mounts and bars back on(minus the crossbars.) Although this is disappointing, the car is much quieter. I'll have to wait for the next two trips to the gas station to check for any mileage improvements.

Archived