LegacyGT.com

Spec B or GT

Hey All

New to the forum and new to Subaru making the jump from Lexus.

I have done substantial reading throughout this site and am thoroughly impressed with the knowledge base.

I am struggling with finding a decent car, really want a Spec B (2007) is my preferance from you folks advice.

Can i make up the differances in a GT, without breaking the bank, the spec b seems on the surface to have so much more, is it worth waiting and holding out for one?

Your thoughts appreciated in advance

Thanks

From what I have read on this site im not sure 5 or 6 speed is a huge issue?

5 speed you can hold 1 and 2 longer ? provides a little more low rpm mmph?

I guess 6 speed will b nicer on long tours on the highway , if its anything like the harleys I have owned 6 speed is nice but not required.

6 spd is nice but if it isn't super important to you I would just go with a standard GT. There are more available meaning more to choose from so you can find the best deal around.

You can upgrade to better struts/springs or coils for a better suspension/lower ride height. Just about everything else is going to be identical as far as modability (less a few different pieces between the spec.b and lgt).

I have owned a 2006 spec.B and a 2007 spec.B, both purchased new. The 2006 had a factory short-throw shifter. The 2007's six-speed transmission was far more pleasant to use and, from what I've read, more robust and durable. The spec.B suspension's has lightweight aluminum components and BBS forged wheels. The spec.B has better seats than the Legacy GT. For a few thousand dollars, you can turn a Legacy GT into a sedan comparable to a spec.B, other than the six-speed transmission. I enjoyed both cars, especially the 2007. If Subaru offered a spec.B today with automatic transmission, I'd buy it.

I have owned a 2006 spec.B and a 2007 spec.B, both purchased new. The 2006 had a factory short-throw shifter. The 2007's six-speed transmission was far more pleasant to use and, from what I've read, more robust and durable. The spec.B suspension's has lightweight aluminum components and BBS forged wheels. The spec.B has better seats than the Legacy GT. For a few thousand dollars, you can turn a Legacy GT into a sedan comparable to a spec.B, other than the six-speed transmission. I enjoyed both cars, especially the 2007. If Subaru offered a spec.B today with automatic transmission, I'd buy it.

negative on the BBS Forged wheel, all are cast wheels made by Enkei

Hold out for an 07+ spec.b if you can. Even for DD it's much nicer. And if you're not a modder all "can be upgraded" comments are irrelevant. The 6spd in the spec.b is miles ahead of all USDM Subaru 5spd gearboxes. Alcantara seats are nice, torsen diff will definitely be noticeable in the twisties and taking off from a stop in the snow.

06 spec b... cool club and everyone with an LGT wants to be you

Is that what you keep telling yourself to justify the thousands you have spent fixing your abused car?

I wouldn't swap my wagon for 2 of your specs.

So the search continues.

Thus far i have found two 2007 spec B.

Both are un modded one has 64000 miles two owners clean title best deal i can seem to get is $17000.

The second has 90000 miles clean title and is $15800

There is also a 2008 with 64000 miles but $18500.

There are numerous 2005 to 2007 GT Limited available in manual 5spd trannies and varying mileage.

These cars are substantiallly cheaper from $9000 to about $13000.

Tough decision here I am struggling with spending the extra money to step up to the Spec B.

It does appear that regardless the 2007 years offer a couple more electronics with aux inputs etc, but really you can buy and install a nice stereo/nav system for $1000?

Further guidance is needed from you Legacy guru's , Im new to this game (no kid lol) and a smart buy is needed here.

Thanks Again

So the search continues.

Thus far i have found two 2007 spec B.

Both are un modded one has 64000 miles two owners clean title best deal i can seem to get is $17000.

The second has 90000 miles clean title and is $15800

There is also a 2008 with 64000 miles but $18500.

There are numerous 2005 to 2007 GT Limited available in manual 5spd trannies and varying mileage.

These cars are substantiallly cheaper from $9000 to about $13000.

Tough decision here I am struggling with spending the extra money to step up to the Spec B.

It does appear that regardless the 2007 years offer a couple more electronics with aux inputs etc, but really you can buy and install a nice stereo/nav system for $1000?

Further guidance is needed from you Legacy guru's , Im new to this game (no kid lol) and a smart buy is needed here.

Thanks Again

07 got the nicer interior already, so 08 you are really just getting the updated the look + a little here and there

with all the LGT/SpecB you can't really swap out the HU, unless you do the JDM conversion ($350 piece of dash trim kit)

I'd pick out the car with the most complete maintenance record out of the three you described. At 90k you are nearing the timing belt service at 105k, which can cost up to $1500.

I enjoy driving my 09 Spec B, wish I would have bought one sooner. I got mine used with 23,000 miles on from a member here.

My 05 wagon is a blast to drive also. But the Spec is much more refind. Its a great car for a long drive.

The 6mt tranny is so much smoother, the gearing in the 6mt helps low end accelleration so it feels quicker then it is.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I got my 05 LGT recently for 10900 with 98k. It has high miles but the car was babied. Anyway long story short, I could swap an STI 6sp as well as do the suspension and wheels for near that what your looking to pay. In the end it would be a much better car than a spec B is stock. I know that it's nice to get it all at once and thats worth more than having the car down while your doing work to it. If the 6 speed wasn't important to you you could get a nice suspension setup and wheels for an LGT with plenty of money to spare for what your going to spend on a spec b.

I could swap an STI 6sp as well as do the suspension and wheels for near that what your looking to pay. In the end it would be a much better car than a spec B is stock.

Obviously it's a matter of perception...Omg. Much better? Really? Tranny and suspension and still not "much better". When the Spec-B get his suspension upgraded what then?

I know that it's nice to get it all at once and thats worth more than having the car down while your doing work to it.

It is nice if you can swing it.

If the 6 speed wasn't important to you you could get a nice suspension setup and wheels for an LGT with plenty of money to spare for what your going to spend on a spec b.

No doubt... but I do love my alcantara seats, 6-spd, r180 rear diff, aluminum control arms, oem nav, VDC, and memory seats. :)

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Archived