LegacyGT.com

Earthquake at 60 mph!

What's up guys,

I have a 98 legacy and when driving on the free way my steering wheel starts to shake it comes and goes only when I'm going more then 60mph. I'm

Wondering what it could be? Bad alignment? Tires not balanced? Bad wheel bearing possibly?

I would say could be any of the above - most likely a tire out of balance - which is also pretty cheap fix. Alignment would be my next guess - also not too bad cost wise.

Good luck!!

80% the bad balance on the wheels could even be a bent wheel wheel bearing is unlikely you would hear a hum before 60 mph. The easiest way to test alignment without an alignment machine is to drive about 35 miles an hour on a straight away while letting pressure off the steering wheel if it pulls really bad to one direction then alignment is likely

Exactly same problem with my 06. Had new tires put on and developed an intermittent shake over 60. Had the dealer check the balance and they said is was all good so they don't know what the problem is. Driving me INSANE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly same problem with my 06. Had new tires put on and developed an intermittent shake over 60. Had the dealer check the balance and they said is was all good so they don't know what the problem is. Driving me INSANE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go to a different mechanic - it has got to be unbalanced, bad rim or maybe even a bad tire.

Same here...though mine is a bit higher and shakes/rumbling starts around 65ish. Definitely when I hit 70 its shake city. Was thinking I needed new axles...but will have to try tire alignment/balance first. Probably needs it anyway since I don't know when either have been done on the car.

rotate one tire at a time until you ''know'' which is causing ythe problem.

tire on the front, bad vibration,

tire on the rear less vibration.

that is the problem tire.

then go back to the tire store

and tell them to repeat the same test.

tire on the front ....

tire on the rear.......

they will continue to ''adjust, balance, remount'' the tiure.

but if you b1tch enough,

they will give you a new different tire.

Well was gonna start trying that test today but my front right caliper seized during an earthquake episode on the highway. Never would have guessed the caliper to fail intermittently like that. Especially cause it's only 1 year old. And I just re-greased the slides when I installed new Stoptech pads and Ccentric Premium rotors 2 months ago.

if the caliper seized up,

it may not be the tire causing the problem.

i think you just got a big clue that it is a brake issue.

but who knows.

and if the caliper / pad has been dragging,

you may have a warped rotor.

what kind of grease did you use on the slide pins?

When I installed my new rotors and pads 2 months ago I regreased the slides with real caliper grease, not a petroleum base grease. Guess is was simply a bad caliper. The rotor doesn't seem warped to me as there is no shaking under hard braking and the pad still looked like new. Will take it on the highway tomorrow for the true test.

Archived