LegacyGT.com

Lemon paperwork filed for alignment issue

I sent in Lemon Law paperwork via certified mail today. I want a replacement LGT.

I have had them perform an alignment 5 times, and the most recent one fixed the drifting problem I was having. Temporarily. For two days, I was pleased that my car was tracking correctly, only drifting when on graded surfaces.

On the third day back from the dealership, however, it began pulling to the right again. Not drifting...pulling. Even when common sense dictates that my car should be drifting to the left, when the road would naturally pull the car in that direction due to its grading, it pulls to the right. I don't know if it's related or not, but the car seems rather squirrely, with a right to left shimmy when driving at speeds over 50 mph. I can literally feel the steering wheel move slightly in my hands, as if strong winds were pushing my car around on the highway. That's the best analogy I can think of to describe the sensation. I think these issues are probably related.

The paperwork from my most recent visit to the dealership shows the alignment to be within specs. A tech from New jersey even oversaw the repair, and confirmed the results.

It's not fixed, and I am tired of trying.

Has anyone else submitted lemon paperwork? What were the results? Is it tough to get SOA to make good and get me a replacement vehicle? I have less than 5,000 miles on my car, and originally reported this problem within two weeks of my purchase date. I just want a replacement LGT, not a refund. Can anyone offer any advice?

I just have to sit back and wait for now, but it would be nice to know what I can expect in the coming weeks. I am holding off on my stereo installation until this gets sorted out.

(Oh, and I am not pleased with the rough idle or anything-but-smooth power delivery when I have the AC on).

I sent in Lemon Law paperwork via certified mail today. I want a replacement LGT.

I have had them perform an alignment 5 times, and the most recent one fixed the drifting problem I was having. Temporarily. For two days, I was pleased that my car was tracking correctly, only drifting when on graded surfaces.

On the third day back from the dealership, however, it began pulling to the right again. Not drifting...pulling. Even when common sense dictates that my car should be drifting to the left, when the road would naturally pull the car in that direction due to its grading, it pulls to the right. I don't know if it's related or not, but the car seems rather squirrely, with a right to left shimmy when driving at speeds over 50 mph. I can literally feel the steering wheel move slightly in my hands, as if strong winds were pushing my car around on the highway. That's the best analogy I can think of to describe the sensation. I think these issues are probably related.

The paperwork from my most recent visit to the dealership shows the alignment to be within specs. A tech from New jersey even oversaw the repair, and confirmed the results.

It's not fixed, and I am tired of trying.

Has anyone else submitted lemon paperwork? What were the results? Is it tough to get SOA to make good and get me a replacement vehicle? I have less than 5,000 miles on my car, and originally reported this problem within two weeks of my purchase date. I just want a replacement LGT, not a refund. Can anyone offer any advice?

I just have to sit back and wait for now, but it would be nice to know what I can expect in the coming weeks. I am holding off on my stereo installation until this gets sorted out.

(Oh, and I am not pleased with the rough idle or anything-but-smooth power delivery when I have the AC on).

Sorry I can't offer any advice, never done a Lemon filing myself. Keep us updated. BTW, my car does EXACTLY the same thing as you describe. It pulls to the right and it feels squirely and "wavey" at highway speeds-- just as if a strong wind was pushing my car from side to side. Not good to know that after 5 dealer visits it has not been fixed in your car. I took mine in for other stuff and told the tech that my car pulled and was unstable at speed. He said that it was "normal" for a car to pul lthe the right "away from traffic." I called BS all the way. It is very annoying.

"Doubt you could use this for a recall/arbitration (which is what we have in NYS). I have been through arbitration, and let me tell you, it's NOT an easy process...even with a lawyer. I finally won the case...but it was TOUGH for me to do all alone (I haven't the money for a lawyer). Basically, you are going to have to keep having it fixed...and something this 'small' it NOT going to win you the case...trust me.

I bought a car, factory built, specially for me, with the options I wanted. I got the car, the moment I drove it off the lot, there were issues with the tranny. I brought it back, complained that I wanted the money back, and I was told that arbitration is the way to go. I fought 2 times, and the second time, I won...that's after 12K miles on the car, scratches from the dealer (on blue paint), 3 new transmissions (manuals), and a new set of struts/springs. The fourth try is where I won....because they could not fix the tranny. That's how much it takes to win.

Good luck, though."

Quoted from myself, in this thread:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17127&page=2&pp=20&highlight=Arbitration

Good luck with the lemon law...it's darned tough.

A guy I know of had this unrepairable pulling with a new Dodge pickup he bot. The dealer tried everything, but couldn't fix it. He said he was going to take it to arbitration but I never got to find out what went down. He said the pull was unreal, and a safety threat.

It seems strange that your car would pull like this if the alignment is in spec. I thought I read somewhere that a Hunter GSP 9700 can detect which tires have radial pull and can recommend what changes to make. Maybe your car needs to find one. Good luck!

http://www.gsp9700.com/

Ok, first let me tell you that getting Subaru of America to budge on getting you a buyback or a replacement vehicle is going to be a pain in the ass. Let me tell you my story.....Well, my car has 9612 miles on it and is STILL in the shop and Subaru cant seem to figure the problem out. Now, here's the kicker, IT HAS BEEN IN THE SHOP FOR A TOTAL OF 62 DAYS AND COUNTING since I purchased the car last year. When it was in the shop for the first 30 days I requested a buyback and they REFUSED. Ohio's lemon law states that if the vehicle is in the shop for a cumulative of 30 or more days within the 1st year or 18 months it is a lemon, period. Subaru wanted to fight it and I had to take it to the BBB and go through arbitration. The arbitrator ruled that Subaru will have 30 days to fix the car. They couldnt do this and let it stay in the shop for 30 more days and COUNTING. Finally, this week they relented and are offering a buyback BUT they are giving me a hard time with the money figures I am owed. They have a hard time understanding that since I traded in a car and the tax on that amount was deferred (since I paid it already on the trade-in when I bought it), and I should be refunded that amount (which in Ohio is 7% of the trade-in amount which was approx 2100). I put it to them this way...if I traded my car in ANYWHERE, I would be given that trax credit since I paid it already. Now, since I dont have that car anymore I cant get that benefit. I dont get that benefit because of a screw up on Subaru's part? Hell No! Thats my money and if they dont pay up they will have a hefty lawsuit on their hands and it will be laughable in court. Im sure you all are wondering what the heck was wrong with my car, so here goes. One day I was driving on the highway and all the throttle wouldnt accelerate the car. The car would just idle. I took it to them once and they "reset" the computer. This didnt work. The next time they had it for 30 days and they replaced the ENTIRE wiring harness. This didnt work. After this they just started replacing whatever they could: the computer, the throttle sensor the throttle itself, the throttle body, a host of other sensors, etc etc etc. On top of this the glove box doesnt stay shut and that has yet to be fixed, Needless to say Subaru has put me through hell and luckily I have heavily documented the entire story because I had a feeling they would do me like that. The lemon laws are to protect the consumer and they took advantage of me. Pm me if you want any of my advice...but here is what I would do if I had to do it all over again...I would gain legal counsel the moment they breached the LAW and SUE if they refused to do the right thing.

are you sure its not the roads?

my car pulls as well but the roads do have crowns on them. do you drive on the same roads all the time?

good luck with the lemon law stuff though.

It's not the roads. This didn't happen in my Honda...and it does pull to the right, even when it SHOULD be pulling to the left based on the road curvature.

That also does explain the side to side motion...as if wind was pushing the car back and forth from either side...

I know if I let go of my steering wheel it pulls to whatever it wants which is usually to the right. I'm pretty sure that is just how AWD is. If I poke the wheel to the left, it will go to the left but then start heading right. Your Honda was FWD so it drives differently. You can't really compare how a FWD and a AWD drive on a road.

Have you had your tires and wheels balanced?

Side to side motions Im sure have something to do with alignment specs and the type of tires we have.

I have it too...

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

I know if I let go of my steering wheel it pulls to whatever it wants which is usually to the right. I'm pretty sure that is just how AWD is. If I poke the wheel to the left, it will go to the left but then start heading right. Your Honda was FWD so it drives differently. You can't really compare how a FWD and a AWD drive on a road.

Have you had your tires and wheels balanced?

Yes, they've been balanced and rotated, and also checked for radial pull. I refuse to accept a car that pulls hard to the right just because it's AWD.

All I know is the car does not handle like an entry level sport luxury car should handle. This problem needs to be addressed. No more pull, and no more side to side movement.

It would be nice to have smoother power delivery with the AC on, too. My car feels totally different in 1st and 2nd with the AC on.

have you driven another legacy? maybe its just how the car's feel to you and you are not accustomed to it.

well then honestly, if you don't like this, just get another car.

if you get another legacy, you'll probably have the same problems and just be more annoyed.

Hey I lemon lawed my SRT-4 2 years ago so let me know if you have any questions. It was a success for me and they gave me the option of returning my money or giving me a new car. I choose a new SRT-4 and sold the crap box anyways a year after due to continued problems (not lemon lawable. Just poor build quality. LOL)

MIC

If the State accepts your Lemon Law claim and it fits the criteria for the State of Florida's Lemon Law, then you must give, as I have told you before, SOA one more chance to fix your car. I would think that SOA will do everything in their power to fix your car on its final attempt.

If the paperwork you sent was for Arbitration and you have done all the paperwork previous and the tech from NJ was your final attempt, then you will go forward with your case. It will be up to the Arbitration board to finally decide if this car's problem qualifies as a Lemon. To me, a car that "pulls" is a safety issue and should qualify, but, each case is decided on its own.

This whole thing is rather easy, just time consuming. You must do the paperwork as required. Once the case is accepted for arbitration, then SOA will probably not touch your car until the case is resolved. If you have questions the State is very helpful or at least it was.

Do your paperwork properly, including your mailings, keep all mail receipts, stand your ground. Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I will try to be patient! My biggest concern is that I want to go ahead and install my Alpine LCD in the cubby, but I'm not sure if I should spend the several hundred dollars it will cost if I am not going to get that money back should I be given a replacement car. I have already had installed two amps and a capacitor, and new components in the front, as well as tint (no receipt for 20% all the way around). I want to put the new HU in so my music will sound great. Right now I have to run the mids full range and keep the sub off, because it sounds rotten. That's a whole issue in itself. The point is, should I go ahead and install the gear?

Some of you had stories that indicate this probably won't work. I don't want to have to get a lawyer; I'd represent myself. I do consider this pull to be a safety issue.

Ladies and gentlemen, I've had blasphemous thoughts. This trouble (along with the unruly behavior when my AC is running) has caused me to have regrets about my LGT purchase; I sometimes think about how nice it would have been to buy the Acura TL instead.

I would get a lawyer as you don't pay a dime for him. The get paid directly from the car company so you don't pay a dime. They will take all the hassle out of it as they have done hundreds of cases and will resolve the issue promptly.

My lemon law case was solved and I had a replacement within 1 month. However they replace stock car for stock car so you will not get any money for anything that you added. Unless you take it out of course. When I got my replacement I had to eat the cost of the tint and the exhaust.

Good Luck and again don't do this on your own it is not worth the stress.

Archived