LegacyGT.com

05 Clutch Popping Noise

My 05 GT 5MT just started making a new noise. If I push the clutch all the way in, and the car is running, it will make a sort of popping noise after about half a second (while the clutch is completely down). I can feel a very light push in my foot as well, but it's not forceful or anything. If I turn the engine off, the clutch will make the same noise, but only after I start to let up on it. The noise is definitely coming from the engine bay. It's also only making the pop sound once each time, and not every time I depress the clutch. I've searched and seen plenty of clutch noise threads, but I didn't find any that match my symptoms. Any ideas what it could be?

As some more background, that may or may not be related, I had the timing belt replaced about a month ago, along with other 105K mile work. When I got the car back, it had a very rough idle and, possibly as a result, threw the timing belt off enough to bend some of the valves. The mechanic fixed the valves, but not the rough idle or new P0171 trouble codes. He worked on it several more times, but eventually gave up and sent me to the dealership. They diagnosed it there as bad O2 and MAF sensors. It's running better now, but still occasionally has a hiccup that makes me wonder if the problem is really gone for good.

I'm guessing you have something going bad in the pressure plate or throw out bearing. There is a TSK3 kit from Fred Beans for the throw out bearing. These car are known for issues there.

Check out the Transmission forum for ideas on which clutch it get, I think there is a sticky.

I like Spec Clutches. They went the extra effort to get me the parts I needed, over night even before the parts were available for the public. That was back Jun 25 07, that clutch has over 70,000 miles and still grabs like new.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived