LegacyGT.com

SpecB springs on a 2.5i

BOXX

I dont see the benefit of Spec.B springs. My friend's stock Spec.B with summer tires has more body roll than my car with aftermarket springs on stock 2.5i struts (which suck, switching to Koni's when I can afford them) with all-season tires.

Save your money/time, dont bother with the Spec.B springs and save up for

aftermarket struts/coilovers. They will be your best suspension upgrade.

aftermarket springs + shocks (Bilsteins) are a huge improvement for a 2.5i. I did the rallitek springs & bilsteins and wow, now it's a joy to drive. You can search my username for a review here on the board. Definately wait til you have the cash for the struts...

aftermarket springs + shocks (Bilsteins) are a huge improvement for a 2.5i. I did the rallitek springs & bilsteins and wow, now it's a joy to drive. You can search my username for a review here on the board. Definately wait til you have the cash for the struts...

Which Bilteins?

IIRC DaveZ has the bilstein HDs

also to add my $0.02 spec B springs on the 2.5i wouldn't really be worth it unless you're doing it yourself as a temporary thing until you upgrade to something better for the suspension

also to add my $0.02 spec B springs on the 2.5i wouldn't really be worth it unless you're doing it yourself as a temporary thing until you upgrade to something better for the suspension

Yup the Bilstein HD, available form Rallitek or Tirerack.

I mainly want them for the rear, where they will be about .5" lower and will have a stiffer spring rate than the 2.5i springs. I plan to pair SpecB rears with Tein H-tech fronts to level out the ride and add some stiffness.

that makes a bit more sense, i know another member who is doing that swap as well

but specBs all around wouldn't be all that great i don't think

No, not much benefit, especially with all of the better springs available.

I started this route with the intent of using all stock struts (from a GT), but am now considering Konis.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to revive this thread, I am the proud new owner of a 2009 2.5i 5 speed, and it suffers from a saggy butt, straight from the factory! A bit of searching revealed that Subaru only spec'd 1 spring type for the 2.5i's, and the manual transmission equipped cars are a little lighter up front, resulting in a large wheelgap up front.

Just to have the car look a little better, would Spec B springs help bring the front end down a little? I don't want the car "slammed" but it would be nice to have even wheelgaps front and back.

congrats on the new car

try this thread:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115784

also look at the sticky in the normally aspirated section for some helpful info on 2.5i modding

Yeah, I was going to point him to my thread as well.

I really like the handling on the H-Techs. HUGE improvement. I would not mind adding a stiff RSB, though.

I autoX'ed it today for the second time (first time on the H-Techs) and body roll was a LOT better. Also, there was a lot less tendency to nose-dive in corners. I have no regrets whatsoever in going to the H-Tech fronts.

Not bad. The tires were great, and I had the pressure set properly at start (though the temps came up and I had to air down a bit for late runs).

I was running well, btu my best run had a timing error. A buddy (with a LOT more seat time than me) beat me by about a second, in my own car.

My in-car camera mount ($10, total) worked great!

AutoX July 7 :: 0711093rdRun.flv video by phenryiv1 - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid90.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/Legacy/AutoX%20July%207/0711093rdRun.flv@@AMEPARAM@@vid90@@AMEPARAM@@90@@AMEPARAM@@k271/phenryiv1/Legacy/AutoX%20July%207/0711093rdRun

Archived