LegacyGT.com

BulletProof-TMIC Mod - LGT, 08+ WRX

Nice. Glad to hear the end result was good. I had to file some corners on the intercooler as well.

Ripping an 8' piece of aluminum channel on a table saw is ******* scary!!! :eek::eek::eek: But worth it? Because intercoolers be expensive :)

That's how I did it... but with a jig I built. I used 4 foot lengths, and after scribing the final dimensions on it (remember saw-cut allowances :) ), and drilling all the holes, I used the holes to screw the aluminum U-ch onto a 2x2 which I then used the table saw (carbide fine-tooth blade) to cut. It was still scary and still not easy, but far safer and with great results. I used a similar blade in my 10" miter saw for the other cuts.

Man does it make a mess. A year after the last kit was made I still find little aluminum bits here and there.

One of the things I've thought of, and verified it "could" be done, is to use a nibbler... but you would have to score a line and nibble right to it then file it smooth. It will take a while for sure, but it will be quiet and get it done. Radio Shack, among others, still sells nibblers, I checked sometime in the past couple of weeks. Those dimensions are important to the viability of the mod, so maintain them.

In a pinch you can finish just the two long rails on the turbo-side and install them first. That will provide 90% of the security. Then as soon as you can finish and install the rest.

You know what a nibbler is, right? I forgot, Google answers all. :) I've been using a hand nibbler for odd jobs nearly my whole life. They aren't the most sophisticated tool, but a lot depends on the user. Take your time and you can do a good job.

Good for you!! Got right onto it, that's the way to do it. I'm certain it will work. Mine is always close by. Too many times I've been up against a problem, then found it solved by my nibbler.

So I went out and bought a nibbler. Damn...i did one rail and my hand is really sore. It works...but it leaves little "burrs" on the metal if you will.

So I went out and bought a nibbler. Damn...i did one rail and my hand is really sore. It works...but it leaves little "burrs" on the metal if you will.

That's where the file comes in... and gives you even more hand exercises. :lol:

It will all be worth it when you're done.

You are also going to be the first to craft the B P Mod using this method.

• Moderators
Table saw would be best for cutting the channel

Just wear gloves, use a metal blade, and a pushing bar of some sort. I also recommend fitting the channel over a piece of wood when doing this, really helps keep the aluminum stable for a safe/straight cut.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
Never wear gloves around saws

What? I could understand not wearing gloves that don't fit, but recommending that someone not wear gloves when they will be handling metal with non finished edged (i.e. the aluminum once you cut part of it) is bad advice IMO.

• Moderators
Ohhh shit. Here we go again. Although I agree that you shouldn't wear gloves. They offer no protection from a saw.

Agreed, not much you could really put on your hands that would protect you from a power saw of any kind. I suggest the gloves for holding onto a freshly cut piece of aluminum with sharp edges.

I guess it could be argued that the gloves could get caught on the metal which could get caught in the saw which could suck your hands into the saw. Whatever, do what you want--risks both ways. Just be careful.

If you want gloves near a saw, wear latex or nitrile gloves.

A bare finger that touches a saw will get cut. A gloved finger will get sucked into the saw, followed by the hand, then arm, and possibly more.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Ok, so I got the mod on my car today. I ended up contacting a welder/fabricator to make the pieces (all the rails). He charged me $50 for the 4 rails and the 1 short rail. It might be a good idea for those who don't have the tools for this mod, such as myself.

Seeeeeya, the nibbler was a good idea in theory but not in practice. It ended up being time consuming and not very precise.

The mod went on well except the BPV sense hose. It's very tight maneuvering near the intake manifold. I ended up getting the hose on tight just by pushing it on (with the clamp on). So hopefully that did the trick.

Just wanted to say that I'm a complete noob with cars and tools but this mod was super easy. The intercooler was pretty easy to get off and it was easy to modify as well. I was a little bit intimated by taking off the intercooler at first...but not anymore (its super easy). So if anyone out there that might be intimated by this mod...just try it. It was about as bad as installing my intake.

Now you see why I never suggested the nibbler before. :) After trying it I decided the Dremel, while slow and also inexact, (my original method anyway) it was a better choice and I had no neighbors to worry about. After the first one I made a number using table and miter saws. I think the new Dremel and attachment is a good option for individuals.

But you got it done. Your TMIC is BulletProof now. Your experience will serve as another example for others in a similar situation. Thanks for your candor and open willingness to share.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
Someone make this for me and mail me the kit ready for install, I'll pay you. No tools, no time, want stg 2. America.

I've been talking to a local machine shop to actually make a bunch of the kits. If Seeeeya OK's me getting these made and there is enough interest, I may pull the trigger and have them do a run.

If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I'll keep a list going. Price for the kit would be right around $50 and the kit would include all of the necessary aluminum pieces with holes predrilled for you. You would have to buy your own hardware (screws, nuts, threaded rod, whatever). If you wanted a specific size hole for using different types of hardware I should be able to "drill them to order".

If I'm doing something against the forum rules here or if SeeeeYa doesn't want me doing this since it's his design, just let me know. Otherwise, tell me if you're interested in a kit.

I took my BP'd TMIC off this weekend, took the threaded rods off, cuts the ends off, cut notches in the ends, and used SS zip ties. Looks better, and doesn't interfere with the BPV hose anymore....

If you are going to have a machine ship make some, make'em with notches for SS zip ties.

I've been talking to a local machine shop to actually make a bunch of the kits. If Seeeeya OK's me getting these made and there is enough interest, I may pull the trigger and have them do a run.

If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I'll keep a list going. Price for the kit would be right around $50 and the kit would include all of the necessary aluminum pieces with holes predrilled for you. You would have to buy your own hardware (screws, nuts, threaded rod, whatever). If you wanted a specific size hole for using different types of hardware I should be able to "drill them to order".

If I'm doing something against the forum rules here or if SeeeeYa doesn't want me doing this since it's his design, just let me know. Otherwise, tell me if you're interested in a kit.

I am without internet so I will be brief.

If you could do this it would be with my total blessings. From the beginning it was my intention to provide our community with an option too long denied. Nastysock tried to bury it and failed. Legacygt.com has been the nurturing nest, it would be great to see this finally take flight.

I took my BP'd TMIC off this weekend, took the threaded rods off, cuts the ends off, cut notches in the ends, and used SS zip ties. Looks better, and doesn't interfere with the BPV hose anymore....

If you are going to have a machine ship make some, make'em with notches for SS zip ties.

Best solution so far IMO.

SOURCE/spec said zipties please.

• Moderators

Here's the list so far:

1. scoobyscoodle (kit #2)
  2. 96r50
  3. .:Catalyst:. (kit #2)
  4. ttnio
  5. Lucid (kit #2)
  6. BoozeRS05 (kit #2)

Only interested if kit #2 is produced:

1. hadvw

If I can get 10 or so people to commit to buying a kit I should be able to pull the trigger on getting the kits made. It's a not-so-insignificant investment including the aluminum, the mill work, and the zip ties since folks seem to want those. Once the interest is there, I'll ask for deposits and pay the man to get it done.

I will plan to sell two types of kits:

• Kit #1: will include all of the required aluminum pieces for the kit, drilled to the original specs for using threaded rod or to another hole diameter if requested (I will drill the kits "to order"). You will need to buy your own mounting hardware (bolts, nuts, threaded rod, etc.)
  • Kit #2: will include all of the required aluminum pieces for the kit, plus 2 stainless zip ties to use in lieu of any other sort of mounting hardware (bolts, threaded rod, etc). Pieces in this kit will be "notched" to hold the zip ties; they will not be drilled unless specifically requested. This kit should have everything you need to "bullet proof" your stock TMIC.

Initial price for Kit #1 will be $57 shipped. Kit #2 will be $77 shipped (to cover the cost of zip ties as well as the additional work of "notching" the pieces). Please let me know what type of kit you would like if you express interest. I do not have a method for notching the pieces to accept zip ties yet. I will explore options to find a suitable method that provides a good result. If I cannot find a satisfactory method I'll let everyone know.

Right now I have to reserve the right to make some changes to the kits if necessary (i.e. if not that many people seem to be interested in zip ties I may not purchase / provide them).

If your name has been mistakenly added to the interest list above please let me know.

Edited by BarManBean