LegacyGT.com

Brake recommendations

I know there are a lot of threads out there but I'm hoping someone could point me to a vendor or store that can get me the best deal. Brake pads need changing and I've been more or less happy with OEM performance. Took a look at the stop techs on amazon for about 110 shipped and was wondering if they would be better in the long run than say going to stock pads.

Also, how do you guys feel about getting brakes done at a local meineke for example. My go to shop is asking a lot for changing the pads and I'd like to look elsewhere. Thanks for the help :)

You can buy your brake parts from someone like Mike at AZPinstalls.com, He's on this forum. then have any repair shop install them.

Hawk ceramic pads and nice rotor's. You don't want stock pads, most of us have issues with them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/StopTech-309-07700-Street-Performance-Brake/dp/B003K2IFQG/ref=au_pf_ss_4?ie=UTF8&Make=Subaru%7C13&Model=Legacy%7C64&Year=2005%7C2005&carId=001&n=15684181&s=automotive]StopTech 309.07700 Street Performance Rear Brake Pad : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/StopTech-309-10780-Street-Performance-Front/dp/B003K2ESGW/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_text_y]StopTech 309.10780 Street Performance Front Brake Pad : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Thinking those two, thoughts? I was thinking of taking it to meineke or like a jiffy lube

Yes I run those pads and they are nice. Create quite a good amount of dust tho. What's the condition on the rotors? They may need to be re surfaced. Look into the "bed in" procedure if you've never put on new pads before. And I would avoid all things jiffy lube. Nothing good will come of it.
torque impresses girrls, hp impresses flat-bills

Hawk ceramic pads, very low dusting, good braking. Order them from Mike at AZPinstalls.com

There are also some members from area, check the local forums, may be one of them can tell you where to go...to have them installed.

I would not go to jiffy lube to have brakes installed. Think about what they do there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Also if your going to reuse your oem rotors, have them surfaced like they surface flywheels.

It gives the rotors a better surface for the pads to bite into.

When they turn a rotor it makes small grooves. The pads only hit the top of the grooves.

Normally we suggest and install Hawk HPS pads as a general replacement for our personal and customer cars. They are a great daily pad and also not bad for light track duty. They are also fairly low dusting and noise free. We also carry the Stoptechs as a slightly cheaper option.

-Adam F

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Azp u have a pm.

Thanks for all the input guys, I think I'll be taking it to my normal shop and just eating the cost of it. I think my rotors do need resurfacing partly due to the vibrations I'm feeling during hard breaking in the steering wheel. Any other recommendations apart from stop tech and hps?

The HPS's on my 09 dust a lot more then the Ceramic's. I don't drive the Spec near as much as I do the wagon. To me the HPS's dust a lot more.

OP what your discribing is caused by the cheap pads not shedding the dust. The dust build's up on the rotor and causes the wheel to shimmy under braking.

It's been covered here for years.

The easy fix is Hawk or better pads.

Other recomendation, buy from the guy's here. You help them out, and you know what your getting.

Then have a good shop install them and ask them if they can have rotors surfaced not just turned.

The HPS's on my 09 dust a lot more then the Ceramic's. I don't drive the Spec near as much as I do the wagon. To me the HPS's dust a lot more.

OP what your discribing is caused by the cheap pads not shedding the dust. The dust build's up on the rotor and causes the wheel to shimmy under braking.

It's been covered here for years.

The easy fix is Hawk or better pads.

Other recomendation, buy from the guy's here. You help them out, and you know what your getting.

Then have a good shop install them and ask them if they can have rotors surfaced not just turned.

We actually don't even bother turning or resurfacing rotors. By the time you pay the labor to remove the rotors and have them resurfaced, you are getting into the replacement rotor territory. Additionally by resurfacing/turning you are removing material which is vital to the ability of the brakes to do their job as heat sinks.

-mike

Archived