LegacyGT.com

Boost gauge idea

smokinduc

Maybe this has been brought up before but....

Wouldn't it be nice if someone was able to convert the silly vacuum MPG dash gauge on the LGT into a boost gauge? I think it would be quite easy. The manufacturer could also develop a stick on overlay with boost markings. That would be easier and cheaper than a complete new dash face

Maybe this has been brought up before but....

Wouldn't it be nice if someone was able to convert the silly vacuum MPG dash gauge on the LGT into a boost gauge? I think it would be quite easy. The manufacturer could also develop a stick on overlay with boost markings. That would be easier and cheaper than a complete new dash face

I'm actually working on this very idea. However, it is in the very early stages as I am still gathering materials.

Shouldn't matter, it's an electronic signal that determines the gauge read-out. All you need is a device that converts the vacuum pressure into an electronic value, then you need to know what the voltage range is for the gauge (and it's pins into the cluster) and weather or not it's linear or not (if its not you may have a bit of extra work on your hands depending). From there you just whip up a SSC (Signal Conditioning Circuit). It's very possible and potentially easy assuming the gauge itself doesn't operate off some wacky input.

All you need is a device that converts the vacuum pressure into an electronic value, then you need to know what the voltage range is for the gauge (and it's pins into the cluster) and weather or not it's linear or not (if its not you may have a bit of extra work on your hands depending). From there you just whip up a SSC (Signal Conditioning Circuit). It's very possible and potentially easy assuming the gauge itself doesn't operate off some wacky input.

You could do it more simply than this, even. Just remove the mpg gauge guts, take the guts out of a 1/4 turn boost gauge, and replace the former with the later. Done.

Ben

• 2 months later...

Archived