LegacyGT.com

New Tire: Continental PureContact Anyone tried them?

HansGT

I was looking for a set of new tires for my OBXT to replace the Michelins Primacy MXV4 that I have. I purchased the car used with 48k and I don't know when the tires were put on, but the car now has 70K on it. The Michelins were starting to loose grip on wet surfaces and my confidence was starting to slip.

I did not want to spend more than $170 per tire so the Michelin Pilots were out, the Goodyear Assurance and other high end tires. I was also looking for a tire I could run all year. After reading the tire thread on this site and the Tire Rack surveys I got the list down to three. The General Altimax (440 A A), the Continental DWS (540 AA) and the BF Goodrich T/A (560 A A) were on my final list. Than I saw on Tire Rack that Continental had a new tire the PureContact, the tread looks like the Michelins Primacy MXV4 but the center tread is a little more agressive. The rating being 700 A A I figure I should get a lot of miles out of it. On the side walls it's marked M&S and the price was less than a dollar more than the Continental DWS's.

The final price per tire was $164 and that includes the road hazard. With my lowered OBXT the tires fill the wheels. It suppose to be a dry week here in the NE, no rain until Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

I will up date the review once I put some miles on them. I had them put on this morining so I have not had a chance to really drive them. The noise level will be interesting, having had the DWS on my Mazda and my wife's 3.0R. I drive a lot of two lane road with varying surfaces so the DWS's and the Goodyear GT's would transmit the road noise more than the Michelins did.

Nelson

When I purchased the OBXT those are the tires that came with it. The OBXT had 48K on it, so I guess the tires had to have at least 25K miles on them. From what I can tell everyone dumped the original Bridgestone tires, so maybe they got 20 to 25K miles out of them. So the Michelins lasted about 45K miles. They were wearing pretty good, the wear bars showing, so maybe another 5K miles. But the Michelins were no longer safe, on a damp road you could feel them slipping. They did not do well in the little bit of snow that we had last year.

I would say any new tire purchased before the winter will due well, its the following years that really make the diffrence. Also just from my own experience certain cars eat tires and some tires do better on certain cars. My wife's first Legacy GT had Contis and they wore like iron, we only had to purchase one set of tire in the ten years 108K miles she had on the car. My Mazda Speed6 went through tires every 20K miles, I put four sets plus the original set during the 5 year 100K miles I put on that car.

I think of tires as an item that you can do all the research and read all the post you can get your hand on and still it's an expensive crap shoot. Your driving style maybe diffrent from mine, how often do you check the air in your tires, do you rotate them, do get wheel alignments? All these things I think make a diffrence.

Nelson

My 2 cents...

I just had to put new shoes on my wagon which sees more soccer fields and grocery lots then track time. I was on 225/45/17 Eagle GT. Mostly like the grip but they were noisy. Discount tires local shop pointed towards the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus in the same size as before. I'm very happy with these tires. A little more isolated from feeling the road but the grip is there, just have to trust it. The smoothness and quietness is soooo much better. I run Bilstein HDs with Ion springs and really like the ride with these tires.

Hope that helps...

Cheers,

Mike

After a great deal of research and pricing, I'm going for the Cooper ZEONs RS3-As on newly acquired Subaru 17" limited wheels ( I have a 2010 Premium with 16" wheels). Tire Rack doesn't rate ot have them avaialble. Consumer reports' has highly rated them as a UHP all season tire. The reviews posted at Consumers Reports site seem to post rave reviews. I'm tempted with Cooper CS4 Touring too, but the ZEONs are classified as UHP. Anyone here have experience with the Coopers?

The tire size I'm going to: 225/50/17 from 205/60/16s.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen any reviews yet from buyers of this tire. But Consumer Reports gave both the H speed rated version and the V speed rated version high marks in their 2012 tire tests.

"........In the performance all-season H speed rated category, the Michelin Primacy MXV4 took the top spot, with the Continental PureContact close behind............ The Continental was impressive in CR’s wet-braking test and has a good balance of all weather performance and tread life.”

Another Continental PureContact model led the performance all-season V speed rated group, followed closely by the Pirelli P7 Cinturato All Season........."

http://www.autosphere.ca/tirenews/2012/09/21/michelin-continental-top-all-season-winter-tire-tests/

• 2 months later...

As you probably surmised, the Continental PureContact is a new model without much feedback.

I was originally searching for the YK280 tire, also out much feedback and because there is no direct comparison to a competitor's tire like the Continental Extreme Contact DWS and the Michelin Sport A/S.

Discount Tire pointed me to the Yokohama YK280 and Continental when I went in looking to buy a a Michelin.

I am glad that I found the report on the Yokohama tire because the test results are pretty lousy, especially in the wet handling and hydroplaning areas which are probably the most important - at least to me!

By contrast, the test results on the Continental PureContact were dramatically better!

Since then, I was researching the Continental and found these test results that tirerack.com

They tested the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus, Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology, Michelin Primacy MXV4 and the Yokohama AVID Ascend (H- or V-Speed Rated).

When I click on the link for See Ratings for all models the Yokohama tire is omitted from that list BUT it shows that the Continental and in the V rated category is at the top of the list and excels in wet braking and handling!

In the H rating, the Continental tire was second only to the Michelin Primacy MXV4 - but I haven't read the greatest things from reviewers about this tire...

So for those of you looking for information on the Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology or the Yokohama YK 580, I hope this is of great help to you!

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/tires-auto-parts/tires/performance-all-season-tire-ratings/ratings-overview.htm

As soon as I figure out how to upload an image, I will upload screenshots but if you have a consumers reports subscription, you can go to the link above.

It seems like I have to upload the image to a server first?? Can't pull it off of my computer...

Continental PureContact Anyone tried them? http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/misc/navbits_finallink.gif Reply to Thread

• 8 months later...

^^^^^bump

Anyone jump on these yet? Thinking about throwing these on my 2011 Legacy 2.5i - OEM tires are down to the 2nd rubber and about to hit the steel shortly.

Thinking about picking up the ContinentalPureContact with EcoPlus Technology in a 205/60-16.

Remember don't confuse this tire with the ProContact (this is PureContact and pretty stupid to name these so close together).

^^^^^bump

Anyone jump on these yet? Thinking about throwing these on my 2011 Legacy 2.5i - OEM tires are down to the 2nd rubber and about to hit the steel shortly.

Thinking about picking up the ContinentalPureContact with EcoPlus Technology in a 205/60-16.

Remember don't confuse this tire with the ProContact (this is PureContact and pretty stupid to name these so close together).

Yes, the names are confusing. I have the ProContact on another car and they have astounding grip and are very quiet but I ended up going with another set since there were so affordable and can't fine much still about the PureContact.

The last time I settled for Hankook tires; the biggest mistake ever because of the incredible noise! The sound like snow tires and wore to the tread wear bars in 1/3 of the warrantied life - but I did get well over $100 on each pair towards these new tires.

I wish I had seen these when I bought the Hankook; only a mere few dollars more!.

The tire Rack video shows that these are outstanding and BETTER than the Michelin Defender, which is widely advertised at having such short stopping distances - NOT TRUE! These tires stop MUCH shorter in the wet!!

The Michelins slide in the corners in the wet vs the others!

I will find the video and post it but my wife had to have them for a close to 1000 miles trip to Connecticut and the were great and have never slid even once or hydroplaned at all in the rain! BUY THESE!

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1730&pictureid=8706

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1730&pictureid=8707

Hi!

That is a Bad assumption because there have MORE grip and HIGHER fuel mileage!

I bought the PROContact

Yes from what I'm reading this is the currently the best all season tire for me in the Northeast (Westchester NY suburbs where LatentWagen is as well).

Can you elaborate a little more on your experience with the tires i.e. snow, rain, hail etc.

Also what size did you get? I'm looking at stock 205/60-16 and going to the 92V rather than the 92H (same price)

I purchased these tires last September I thought they would be better than Goodyear Triple trd, but they are not. I had 70K on my XT when I purchased them, at 80K I notice a cut in the tire and took them into the dealer to see if the hazard warranty would cover them. No, the tire had already worn beyond the limit of the warranty. I only had 12K miles, this tire will not last 70K as was stated, the first 2/32 had already gone by. I rotate my tires every other oil change and check the air pressure at least once a month.

At the present mileage 87K they are starting to get loud, which is strange as they don't have a tread pattern that is that open like the Goodyear GT's.

The telling sign is that their price has come down from last year, I guess they are not doing as well with these. DWS's on my wife's 3.0R are holding up well, but not these PureContacts.

It also might be the weight of the XT or the awd that keeps tires like these from performing well.

Nelson

Hi!

That is a Bad assumption because there have MORE grip and HIGHER fuel mileage!

I bought the PROContact

I know tires are getting better but when I shop for tires I look for grip in wet/dry not how much better my mpg's will be.

If you are getting better gas mileage i assume you are getting a softer/thinner side wall so they flop over in corners like DWS's do and less friction on the contact patch reducing grip.

^^^^^bump

I got confused, coming back to this thread, several months after originally posting.

I did buy the PROContact because they are very affordable; $8 LESS than the PureContact.

My wife went close to 1000 miles on a trip TO Connecticut and the were great and have never slid even once or hydroplaned at all in the rain!

No snow to report on YET.

Handling is superb on the twisties here in the mountains of NC.

NO ISSUE AT ALL with wet roads; my wife's main requirement for a tire and we had had DOUBLE the normal rain fall this year!

Archived