LegacyGT.com

2009 WRX OEM setup on 2013 Legacy 6MT

That's why I suggested you just pick up some WRX take-off fronts.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right part # ordered from subaru online, but wrong part # arrived. I just got the correct one today. So, again, I hope to have some news after this weekend...this is getting tiresome.

Cheers,

Fredrik

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Bought a set of WRX Konis and RCE blacks. Will try to put them on next weekend. Now looking for donor strut bodies, but have a strong suspicion that my stock ones will work.

When are you putting yours on Fredrik?

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

• 3 years later...
Question: Based off the information in this thread, could it be safe to purchase 08-14 WRX coilovers and only modifications needed would be to enlarge the strut holes in the front?

based on the first page, if the coilover height can be set at zero, your fronts will be 1" lower than OE and the rears would not change.

Based on that, be careful which coilover you get. make sure the range is not -1 to -3 for example. that would mean you would be at least 2" lower in the front.

most coilovers have some + to - range.

Question: Based off the information in this thread, could it be safe to purchase 08-14 WRX coilovers and only modifications needed would be to enlarge the strut holes in the front?

The bolt pattern on the front lower strut mount is the same on our cars as it is for the WRX (5x100 hub), STi struts need modifying to fit because the holes are farther apart (5x114 hub).

Key point as stated is...get the WRX coilovers and NOT the STI ones.

• 1 month later...

Just want to be clear before I make any purchases. If I go with WRX Coilovers that have for example a 1" to 4" drop, My Legacy will be lowered 2" at maximum height? Also if I go this route I will have to enlarge the openings for the strut mount bolts?

Thanks,

Omar M

Just want to be clear before I make any purchases. If I go with WRX Coilovers that have for example a 1" to 4" drop, My Legacy will be lowered 2" at maximum height? Also if I go this route I will have to enlarge the openings for the strut mount bolts?

Thanks,

Omar M

since the question was asked, to put it to bed, yes your drop will be 1" more for whatever range you get. So a -1" to -4" will be -2" to -5".

Most coilovers have a slight positive ride height as maximum height. I dont know of any coilover that is a minimum 1" drop. You may find something like +0.5" to -3", for example.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the information provided. For those that try, succeed.

One question that is related to this post. From information I've gathered. Swapping 2009 WRX (non-STi) stock setup will lower my car 1" automatically. My question is, I've seen post that tell people to use Yellow Koni Strut and Insert for WRX on legacy. Does this mean they are getting automatic 1" drop front and rear as well?

Edited by GhiaAddict

Thanks for all the information provided. For those that try, succeed.

One question that is related to this post. From information I've gathered. Swapping 2009 WRX (non-STi) stock setup will lower my car 1" automatically. My question is, I've seen post that tell people to use Yellow Koni Strut and Insert for WRX on legacy. Does this mean they are getting automatic 1" drop front and rear as well?

Nope, as long as you use Legacy specific springs, either OEM or aftermarket, you will have the ride height that is advertised. But you can't use Swift springs with the Konis, for other reasons.

Other way around, the Koni's, because they are slightly shorter at full extension, always compress the springs by 1/2" over what our Legacy OEM struts do. The upside to the Koni's, is that they provide 1.25" of additional suspension compression (or bump travel) over our OEM struts. When I installed my H&R springs on the stock struts, the front would bottom out (big slam) on big bumps. Since I have installed the Koni's, I have never bottomed out even one time.

Look at the 2nd post in my Koni thread. It has the measurements of the struts with and without the Koni inserts. You'll understand then.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/koni-yellow-sport-shocks-2010-fitment-214426.html?t=214426&highlight=Koni+fitment

Edited by GTEASER

• 3 years later...

Reviving a super old thread...I know. But I have the chance to buy 2013 WRX springs and struts. They are already separated, so as long as I put my stock Legacy tophats on, they will bolt right in? How much of a drop would I see? 1" all around or just the front?

Thanks!