LegacyGT.com

Anyone seen rotors like this?

ryspec06

Anyone know what can make a rotor look like a record player?

638676004_rotor2.thumb.jpg.05a6bad9eadba7df0aecb3279ab6d635.jpg

I have an hour drive home so you can understand my concern when I started to hear a roar then a vibration in the steering wheel. It got so bad that I could swear that a tire had blown and was coming off the rim. I pulled over to a safe spot but couldn't find anything wrong. Full pressure in the tires and they appeared fine. So I limped it home and immediately put the front end in the air. I checked all the linkage, bushings, and drive shafts and everything is tight. Then I noticed the rotor on the drivers side. It has deep grooves and what looks like hot spots of discoloration. The pads and calipers came off effortlessly so I don't think anything was binding up. These are stock rotors with stoptech pads. I'm not sure where to go from here. Has anyone else had similar issues? :confused:

Looks like really bad glazing to me. I'd find a shop to do a very light resurface if the thickness is good (otherwise replace them) and bed your pads in again (if there is still life on them).
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

I would not reuse the pads. With grooving like that, the pads are very likely grooved themselves already and will transfer those grooves back onto a new/resurfaced rotor.

I would just get a new set of rotors and pads and check the caliper pistons prior to going out to rebed everything.

I would not reuse the pads. With grooving like that, the pads are very likely grooved themselves already and will transfer those grooves back onto a new/resurfaced rotor.

I would just get a new set of rotors and pads and check the caliper pistons prior to going out to rebed everything.

I figured I would replace both pads and rotors. I don't want to take a chance that I would ruin the rotors with the old pads and this gives me an excuse to tell my wife I need to upgrade the rotors with slotted. The strange thing is that when I pulled the calipers apart they came off so easily. Could a clog in the brake line or a malfunction in the traction controls do this?

Archived