LegacyGT.com

Why are 2008's producing less power than previous years ?

Chubien

Why do newer Legacy models produce less power that earlier years ? It appears that the 2005-2006 models made more power stock and made MUCH more power once tuned to stage 1 or 2 compared to 2008's ?

On the Cobb website a 2005 stage 1 makes same or more power that a 2008 stage 2 ... how come we get so little gains staging the 2008's ?

When everything is said and done, my bet will be that the 2007+ cars will make slightly more power.

The ecu changed in 2007 on all the cars. I know that many of the 2007 STi tuners were having trouble with it for a long time. There were a lot of surprises like new timing tables that were switched under certain conditions. My guess is that no one wants to be the first to blow up a 2008 stage 2 LGT engine.

It's already been shown on other threads here that the stock 07+ LGT's are making only a little less than what the 05-06 stage 1 cars do. The dyno graphs on Cobb's site for the 05-06 cars were performed on a different dyno than the dyno graphs for the 07-08 cars. The new dyno graphs were run at an altitude of 4500 ft., so the numbers will look low. See this post from Trey@Cobb: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1574477&postcount=615. Like Trey said, the dyno graphs they get after doing their testing at sea level will probably have much better numbers. The important thing when reading dyno graphs is not the numbers however. What's important is the gains seen over the stock graph.

Technically, these are two different dynos...the exact same models, but actually different dynos. :) We try to keep all AccessPORT calibration testing to our Mustang AWD Chassis Dynamometer that is at our main facility, but some times we have to go to our other facility at the Miller Motorsports Park for testing. This dyno is the exact same model #, but it features less sensor inputs.

I need to see the cars run on the same EXACT dyno before i believe it. I do know that the 07+ make alittle more powere do to refined maps, revised turbo, and 1 less cat in the exhaust, but 07+ stock being the same as a 05-06 stage 1, I dont think that is quite accurate.

I need to see the cars run on the same EXACT dyno before i believe it. I do know that the 07+ make alittle more powere do to refined maps, revised turbo, and 1 less cat in the exhaust, but 07+ stock being the same as a 05-06 stage 1, I dont think that is quite accurate.

Fair enough, but there are plenty of tuners on here (including boostjunkie) who claim otherwise.

Stock 07-08 cars make almost what a stage 1 05-06 does.

That is if you think 15-20 whp is a small difference, which it isn't IMO.

2008 GT Stock Power:

The peak power values for this vehicle were recorded at 219 lb. ft. torque and 208 WHP on a totally stock vehicle. These values were measured at the wheels on our load-based Mustang AWD Chassis Dynamometer.

The Cobb Stage 1 is putting down 223 whp. That is a difference of 15 whp if my math is right. ;)

I think you might have confused the whp with the torque.

Fair enough, but there are plenty of tuners on here (including boostjunkie) who claim otherwise.

Boostjunkie has tuned a few cars but is not a tuner

Sorry Paul :p

But I do agree that 07-08 are making close to stg 1 05-06 LGT's whp. Probally the big reason most 07-08 owners aren't noticing much change (powerwise) from the AP's stage 1 mapping.

I have an 07 catless LGT UP uninstalled, and I'll be getting the AP v2 as soon as the prices, used, drop in light of the new AP release..

Running a catless UP, 93 oct ., stg 1; I was expecting about +15whp over stock on my 05 LGT..

Not gonna happen?

I have an 07 catless LGT UP uninstalled, and I'll be getting the AP v2 as soon as the prices, used, drop in light of the new AP release..

Running a catless UP, 93 oct ., stg 1; I was expecting about +15whp over stock on my 05 LGT..

Not gonna happen?

Prices won't drop anymore than they are now. The "new" AP is the same as the other APv2's but are programed for CAN ECU based vehicles with a CAN bus cord.

which are? catless UP and highflow cat downpipe and a reflash. very reliable and totally practical. the LGT shoulda came stage 2 from the factory.

What's practical is subjective, & stg 1 is more reliable then stg 2, because it's closer to stock IMO..

I guess my power estimate is close, otherwise someone may have commented on it, other then everything else I've said.. Imagine that..:rolleyes:

my 08 spec b makes a lot more power than my 05 lgt. 08 spec b dyno'd 219whp/244tq and my 05 lgt dyno'd 185whp/210tq on the exact same dyno. the 05 lgt got a stage 2 and custom dyno tune, made 238/248. I expect my 08 to dyno 270/290 (stg2 + dyno tune), but we'll see once the protuner software is released.

Archived