LegacyGT.com

Cruise control light blinking?

02BlkRex

Anyone ever have the cruise control light in the instrument cluster continuously blink after starting the car?

This has happened to me several times so far. I RTFM and it seems that if you do something with the cruise control lever while starting the car, it disables cruise control and you get the blinking light.

My question is why would you ever need to disable cruise control? If you don't want to use cruise control, don't turn it on. Sometimes my wheel is turned with the cruise control stalk pointed down and I guess I hit it with my knee as I'm starting the car. Turning the car off and then back on while not touching the stalk re-enables the cruise control. Weird and annoying feature if you ask me.

Is the check engine light also lit? I have never seen just that light blink.

Nope, just the cruise control light. The manual says it does that when disabled and tells you how to disable it. I just don't get why you'd ever disable cruise control. Am I missing something? It's kinda a pain since my knee hits it from time to time so I have to deal with the blinking light all 10 minutes of my drive to work. :spin:

• 2 years later...
Slight thread resurrection. I just had the Cruise Control Light Blink with no CEL light. Cruise didn't work obviously. Shut the car off, turned it back on, no blinky Cruise light. Car runs fine. Getting a bit concerned. Had the lights on my radio/air con blink off then on for a small bit on a long trip back from Austin, TX to Chicago around the Dallas area. Never did it again. It also did change the temps on it's own by a few degrees on the dual zone climate control. Hmmm? Car did sit in a garage for two months.

• 4 weeks later...

Resurrecting this.... My cruise light flashes (with no CEL) if I go up steep inclines, or full throttle the car a lot. I have an exhaust leak somewhere and it smells awful when the cruise light starts blinking. I really wish the CEL would trip, but it never does.

Also, my cruise decides to shut off intermittently on it's own. I can't even use it anymore, it turns off randomly. I'm thinking it might be related to emissions somehow?

• 4 months later...
today my cruise control light started blinking but the CEL is also on, anyone give me some guidance..i think it happend after i accelerated out of my development and hit a patch of snow so the car had to grip hard and the engine stutered a bit :(

I started to see this when I has having AFR oscillations (due to me changing location of front O2) and I would sometimes get a CEL.

You can have temporary DTCs (trouble codes) and memorized DTCs.

AFAIK if it is a temporary one, just the cruise control light will flash, /if/when it becomes a memorized one, both the CEl and cruise control light will flash.

If you want to see what it is use LV (Learning View............. search if you don't know what that is) and check the ECU when the car is still running, don't turn it off, as you will likely lose the code.

• 1 year later...

Resurected again, I had this happen the other night when I nailed 2nd gear WOT the shifted. No codes were present. Restart and it was fine. I wonder if it was an over boost that my fuel cut defender blocked?

I started to see this when I has having AFR oscillations (due to me changing location of front O2) and I would sometimes get a CEL.

You can have temporary DTCs (trouble codes) and memorized DTCs.

AFAIK if it is a temporary one, just the cruise control light will flash, /if/when it becomes a memorized one, both the CEl and cruise control light will flash.

If you want to see what it is use LV (Learning View............. search if you don't know what that is) and check the ECU when the car is still running, don't turn it off, as you will likely lose the code.

• 3 years later...
I had this issue about a year ago it ended up being a cracked valve, my luck of course when they got to the cracked valve it was actually a crack in the small block, Subaru looked out for me and they replaced the small block, valves, and gaskets for 500

• 2 months later...

I had this blinking cruise control 2 nights ago, first time ever. No CEL, not even temporary blinking. Very humid and hot outside. Happened under duh...cruise conditions at about 60 mph - not much load. It seemed that the car whined a bit momentarily but continued to drive fine. After a restart, it worked fine. It worked fine today, and I did test it at sustained high speeds.

Over the past half a year, I did have some problems with the Air Fuel Sensors, and I did replace the front one, due to oscillations in driving feel, while on cruise control, discussed elsewhere on this site.

• 1 year later...
re-re-resurrect. I just purchased an 06 spec B. Stock turbo, full catless TBE, Grimspeed intercooler and AVOS. Tuned by Dave at Cryotune(open source). When the cruise control is turned on, it works for a while, but the throttle fluctuates up and down. After a few minutes the cruise turns itself off, just the cruise light flashes, and cruise no longer responds. This resets itself when car is turned off. I have a DIN interface that runs the Torque app linked to the OBD11, and it shows no codes when I scan when cruise light is flashing. Any ideas? I have a 1 hour commute to work so this is frustrating.

I'm having a similar problem. Just got the car (05 LGT base) just of a fresh tune. cruise was broken when I got it. I've found threads about the cruise shutting of at random times. But mine just makes the throttle real bouncy then turns off in less then a minute and starts flashing. I can unhook the batterY to reset everything but it will do the same thing,work for 30 seconds or so and then go out again.

The brake lights work so that sensor is fine. I pretty sure the clutch sensor is good too (might swap it with an extra I have around just to check though). And today I swapped the control module on the steering wheel. Same deal worked for a minute then stopped working again.

Read the threads about the neutral sensors but I didn't read anybody say that it disabled the cruise control just turned it of. Anybody else got any new info on this?

Thanks for sharing. I've read up on the neutral switch issue, but it doesn't fit this issue, as you said. I'm thinking maybe wheel speed sensor issue, going to check mine out when I do my clutch soon, when car is on stands. I would think that would throw a CEL though. Let me know if you find anything out please. I'll keep you posted.

• 1 month later...
So finally got around to getting my car scanned for codes. Nothing just like legup reported And talked to a friend who works on subarus he says that a damaged or loose wheel speed sensor would set the ABS light. So at this point I'm at a lose. Damn electrical gremlins! I'm starting to wonder if the ribbon cable in the steering wheel might have a intermittent connection between the CC unit on the wheel and the PCM but Thats just a theory Don't even know if that's possible let alone causing the problem. On the other hand this could be a extreme case of the neutral switch problem. Ours being so bad that cc don't work at all. But again really just shooting in the dark. Computers are great when they work!

• 4 weeks later...
Funny, my 05 Legacy gt has a very similar problem. Cruise has never worked since I've owned the car, and I've tested many things. The cruise light just blinks on the highway, it never engages. I think i've narrowed it down to a bad neutral sensor in the transmission.

Funny, my 05 Legacy gt has a very similar problem. Cruise has never worked since I've owned the car, and I've tested many things. The cruise light just blinks on the highway, it never engages. I think i've narrowed it down to a bad neutral sensor in the transmission.

If that fixes it please post it up. Might save me a lot of trouble shooting. I'd appreciate it.

I have this issue. I just replaced my clutch, and did the washer mod to the neutral switch while I had it exposed. Unfortunately I won't be home until after Thanksgiving, but I will test it then and post back the results.

• 4 months later...
Late winter update. Moving to Kentucky in early April. The 6 hour drive down there got me thinking about the cc again. Decided to chase the "really bad case of the neutral switch problem" route first. Swapped the sensor last week with one I knew worked left the stock washer in place. No good. Today replaced the washer with one that was about 5/8 the thickness of the stock washer. No good ether. Both sensors had minor wear on the tips so there were hitting something at some point anyway. If any body managed to fix this issue please post it up. You'd save me digging into the wiring diagrams.

Sorry, no good news to report here. Test neutral switch and did washer mod, also did not fix. Please post if you find issue, it's a very annoying problem.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

Archived