LegacyGT.com

What classifies your car in Stages?

So weird question my brother and I were discussing this and I was wondering what makes the car stage 1 stage 2 etc...., I was thinking not only the HP mods. but, suspension, brakes and ECU. just wondering. So what would a older LGT 2.5i N/A with some stuff done be classified as. And if you need a idea, I have sways, exhaust, intake, cams., front and rear slotted/drilled rotors and brake pads and soon headers, and a chip. But wish I had a turbo, dangit.

I'd say you are pretty much Stg 2 when the headers come in since you have replaced the cams and have some form of a chip coming in (either a PP6 im guessing, or are you waiting for the Accessport for the 2.5NA ;))

I know its much harder to say Stg's for NA cars, but here's my best shot at it, minus suspension mods

Stg 1: Headers, Intake

Stg 2: Cams, Lightened pulleys, chipped, full exhaust

Stg 3: New heads and internals (yeah there are kits out there, they are just insanely expensive)

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

I just started hearing stages when I got into turbo cars. I never heard of stages in non turbos. Because how would that apply to my '64 Grand Prix? I have 3 carbs (tri-power), custom cam,etc.... what stage would that be? I think it only goes for turbos or supercharges that came from the factory . If you say to someone my (srt-4,wrx,evo,etc..) is at stage 1 they know you did the ecu.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Stages were done based on a commercial stand point for vendors and shops to make packages in "stages" for the consumer to buy them and upgrade as they go along..

usually for a modern turbo car, the breakdown that shops and vendors goes:

stage 1:

engine management reflash

intake filter

stage 2:

(includes stage 1)

turboback exhaust

any other additional exhaust work

stage 3:

(includes stage 1 and 2)

fuel injectors

fuel pump

fuel rails

upgraded front or top mount intercooler

stage 4:

(includes stage 1, 2, and 3)

new turbo

of course, the engine management gets updated to all the new add-ons..

Keefe

Stages were done based on a commercial stand point for vendors and shops to make packages in "stages" for the consumer to buy them and upgrade as they go along..

usually for a modern turbo car, the breakdown that shops and vendors goes:

stage 1:

engine management reflash

intake filter

stage 2:

(includes stage 1)

turboback exhaust

any other additional exhaust work

stage 3:

(includes stage 1 and 2)

fuel injectors

fuel pump

fuel rails

upgraded front or top mount intercooler

stage 4:

(includes stage 1, 2, and 3)

new turbo

of course, the engine management gets updated to all the new add-ons..

Yup, it's moreso a marketing thing to make buyers buy a "package" instead of picking and choosing the parts that they want/need for the car to suit their application. There's good and bad things to be said about the stage approach, but that's for another discussion.

So basically, you could take the stages approach, but it doesn't mean your car is garbage if you don't.

Oh yeah, my car, if you try to put it into stages...would be everywhere from a "stage 1" to "stage 3"...how vague is that? :lol:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1526&highlight=%22stage%22

^ Search, please. :)

Like many have said already, although such language has become "convention" in our community, it's really very arbitrary, and, especially when you start speaking to vendors/tuners, it becomes highly variable.

For example, look at the "Stage I" convention by which Cobb TUning sets their off-the-shelf AccessPORT maps. Now go over to the PDXTuning website, and look at what they mean by "Stage I."

Pretty different, no?

So, although you can easily speak of "Stage X" with another Scooby enthusiast, and pretty much know that you'll be at least in the same ballpark, it still will do you well to discuss *exactly* what mods are present, especially if you're going to be pursuing certain specific upgrades, sales/trades, etc.

Similarly, remember that what is "Stage I" for us, as Scooby owners, may be something totally different to owners of other automobiles. To the SRT-4 guys, "Staging" means yet another set of mods.

Just know that such language is simple convention, and is highly variable. ;)

Oh, and yes, "Staging" exists for brakes as well as suspension upgrades, too. Again, I encourage you to search around a bit, and you'll find some good posts on both of these issues.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I had an Eclipse RS and on that community you weren't stage 1 until you had a turbo kit w/o I/C. Once you went with IC, injectors and CBE you were stage 2. Inever heard of stages without going turbo.

Why bother boosting the stock lump? Wouldn't it make more sense to just a 4G63 and call it a day?

• 2 weeks later...
Why bother boosting the stock lump? Wouldn't it make more sense to just a 4G63 and call it a day?

Is your LGT bone stock? If not, why bother? Just buy an F1 Mc Laren and call it a day...:rolleyes:. Oh yeah, forgot about cost there for a second. New base Eclipse RS + full Stage II = $18,000. (apprx 260 whp); New base GSX/ GST= $25,000 (180ish whp)

Guest subiecity
So weird question my brother and I were discussing this and I was wondering what makes the car stage 1 stage 2 etc...., I was thinking not only the HP mods. but, suspension, brakes and ECU. just wondering. So what would a older LGT 2.5i N/A with some stuff done be classified as. And if you need a idea, I have sways, exhaust, intake, cams., front and rear slotted/drilled rotors and brake pads and soon headers, and a chip. But wish I had a turbo, dangit.

cbroo your legacy ...wat the whp on it...do u kno....just curios cuz im headed down the same road u are

cbroo your legacy ...wat the whp on it...do u kno....just curios cuz im headed down the same road u are

I dyno'd it bout a month ago and it said round 186whp, that was before the headers and the flash, and with no intake, so I'm thinking now probably 190whp if I'm lucky, now just need a minor tune and hopefully it might be more when I visit the dyno

Guest subiecity
thats not too bad for a N/A car would u happen to kno the stock WHP i kno they say its 176 hp but is that crank HP or WHP...im just tryin to compare and see how much we can truly get outta this car

thats not too bad for a N/A car would u happen to kno the stock WHP i kno they say its 176 hp but is that crank HP or WHP...im just tryin to compare and see how much we can truly get outta this car

I believe it's 168 whp, thats what the head parts guy told me at subaru dealership by my house, but it could be higher, I was thinking it's at 176 whp, but you need to a total rehual to bump your whp to at least 200, headers, exhaust (a full, but I have a two cat system with one of them a high flow), cam shaft, intake (Optional, sounds cool but I dont think it really helps), and a chip will do the trick. I've reflashed my computer before and saw a significent increase in my low end pick up but after 500 miles of driving it went away. I'm hopefully getting into the dyno in a few weeks, and gonna try a reflash and hopefully the headers will be on by then so I will keep you posted, I figure the headers will put over the 190 whp mark, I hope!

I believe it's 168 whp, thats what the head parts guy told me at subaru dealership by my house, but it could be higher, I was thinking it's at 176 whp, but you need to a total rehual to bump your whp to at least 200, headers, exhaust (a full, but I have a two cat system with one of them a high flow), cam shaft, intake (Optional, sounds cool but I dont think it really helps), and a chip will do the trick. I've reflashed my computer before and saw a significent increase in my low end pick up but after 500 miles of driving it went away. I'm hopefully getting into the dyno in a few weeks, and gonna try a reflash and hopefully the headers will be on by then so I will keep you posted, I figure the headers will put over the 190 whp mark, I hope!

IIRC 168 is the flywheel power on the '05 year model, and it was bumped up to 175 for '06. Most would agree that 20-25% is a good estimate for AWD drivetrain loss. So if we give Subaru the benefit of the doubt and go with 20%, then whp would be 134 and 140 respectively. Hitting 200 at the wheels would take a 49% (05) or 42% (06) increase in power. That's pretty extreme.

Also, dynos vary pretty widely, and should only be used to measure a delta in power. It's really too bad you didn't get a stock dyno first. Maybe someone else has. What year is your car, and is it auto or 5spd?

Lastly, did you get some kind of engine management software or reflash, and if so, you NEED to let us all know how and from whom!! We're dying here! Great job on your car. It looks great, and I'm sure it's a lot more fun to drive now! Keep us posted on future upgrades.

Cheers,

John

Archived