LegacyGT.com

iON Springs rear shims.?? to raising rear end..

Selds

Hey Hey, Anyone have any experience shimming rear iON spirings to raise the ride height just slightly. I only want to do this for looks I'm not concerened if it changes the ride quality since the iON's ride soooo smoooth already! Is there any other way to raise the rear only slightly?

Thanks

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rear is lowered less then the fronts. With the IONs the car sits level, but does not look level because the rear wheel arches are cut lower then the fronts.

I have had my ION springs on for a few months now, very happy with them, even in winter they work very well (just need better dampers now).

But, I am going to shim my rear as well. Just does not quite look right to me. I am going to cut the rubber from a tread of a used tire and use this in the top hats of the rear suspension. I suspect I will raise it about 5mm. Just enough to look right. I have spoken with Jack about this, and he agrees it will likely work. He advises not go more then 5 mm though.

I will be doing this when I get my new dampers, which I do not have yet, because there are not too many options out there.

I doubled the rear spring seats. Looks exactly how I wanted it to. No more silly subaru stance(down in back and up in front). When I fill the trunk and have people in the back seat then the suspension looks like it would if i didnt have the extra lift.

I doubled the rear spring seats. Looks exactly how I wanted it to. No more silly subaru stance(down in back and up in front). When I fill the trunk and have people in the back seat then the suspension looks like it would if i didnt have the extra lift.

The lower spring seat, I presume? I don't have the car nearby to look at, and I don't remember from the install: It comes off the shock? It's available as a separate part from Subaru? Do you know a part #?

That would be the perfect solution. I don't like the "droopy butt" look either.

-Paul

Its the upper rubber seat. The lower one is obviously welded to the shock and isnt that thick anyway.

I dont have a camera so I cant take any pics. If anyone in the DC area wants to take some pics I'd be happy to meet up. But if you want a good example of how my car looks, think C55. All I need now are nicer wheels and a merc decklid spoiler hehe

Thanks for the info, sgt!:)

I would guess that the change in ride quality (if any) isn't noticeable!?

My local Subaru dealer told me $17 for the rubber seat (or sheet?). But I needed to special order them, which takes 3, 4 days!:( (I was going to install the iON springs tomorrow)

Anyway, would the rubber seat be more than 5mm high (per Jack's suggestion)? Any higher might cause long-term problems?

My local Subaru dealer told me $17 for the rubber seat (or sheet?). But I needed to special order them, which takes 3, 4 days!:( (I was going to install the iON springs tomorrow)

Hah, yeah I was planning on an install possibly this weekend. I have a feeling my dealer is going to tell me the same thing. Luckily I have about 5 Subaru dealers within driving distance. Better odds anyway...

ignore him, he'll go away.

This is a really great thread mainly involving a bunch of new members.

As a member who had ordered his iON springs several months ago (GB #2?)

and haven't put them on yet... I too have worried about the dumped-bum stance on my wagon once I install the springs.

This thread (and some possible calls to Jack will help me get the 'PINK'-balanced stance with the iON- quality ride that I want.

Archived