LegacyGT.com

Need some advice on my 08 Legacy GT!

Hey guys, the good weather is among us in the north east! So onto my dilemma, I'm going to start another job and will be able to afford some nice simple mods. Not trying to push it because I'm still on factory warranty but I was wondering what you guys have had good luck with and would recommend. Ill give you a list of what I have now.

Cobb lowering springs (stock struts)

K&N drop in filter

HIDs

Grille

Hella supertones

Tranny cooler

Cobb access port V2 stage 1 (5eat)

So any nice simple mods you guys could suggest would be awesome (or have parts for sale :D)

My second part of this post is if anyone can steer me toward some good preventative maintenance that may need attention at 36k? Anything from common failures to things that should get done.

Thank you guys and enjoy this nice weather

- Save up for new (better) struts/shocks as lowering springs of any type will shorten the life of OE struts/shocks.

- No real need for filter.

- HID's are the first mod I do to any non-HID car.

- Grill's are inexpensive, nice mods.

- A lot of people love their supertones. I don't use my horns enough to really care whether or not I have them.

- Tranny coolers are always nice as temp is the number one problem in transmissions

- Cobb AP's are easy to use and tune, there is also the option of open source. Read up on both and decide. Also, if you go AP, you will need the SUB-003 not the V2 (SUB-002).

Look's like you already have a lip and wheels so I won't suggest those. Tint is always nice if you don't have that done yet. If you want a bit of sound consider looking at the Nameless Performance muffler deletes or axle-back's. Also consider doing sways + endlinks and brackets for the rear or small things like the Grimmspeed MCB.

Just follow normal maintenance procedures for the most part. Make sure you are using a good oil, checking it regularly and maintaining good OCI's. Other than that you should be set.

Welcome to the forum.

It's 5 years old, may want to look into replaceing the battery before next winter. Change the diff fluids, Extra-S Mutol 300 or Amsoil Severgear 75w-90.

IMO horns, don't make it go faster or handle or stop better, waste of money.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thank you all for responding. When I get some time and more cash flow I'm def thinking some bc racing coilovers. They were suggested by EFI logics as the best bang for the buck. For now I think I'm ok on performance mods,might consider getting a nice intake but stock air box is good for up to 350hp or so I hear. More focused on maintaining it . I'm going to change the trans fluid, coolant , and possibly do the brake lines. I don't think I need to service the diff for a while. Also I've been reading about the infamous clunk and sluggish 5eat shifting. Flashing the ECU worked to an extent but its still there. Not sure if I can ever get it to fully go away but maybe you guys might know. Should have done my homework a little more :D regardless still a great car though. Can't wait to put on my bbs and newly painted grille (not Atlantic blue anymore :D)

Sways and endlinks would be next on my list.

Antifreeze flushing and brake fluid change I would recommend at 30k.

That sounds like a great idea, I know the stock sways are small as hell, lots of chassis roll. Good suggestion !

It's 5 years old, may want to look into replaceing the battery before next winter. Change the diff fluids, Extra-S Mutol 300 or Amsoil Severgear 75w-90.

IMO horns, don't make it go faster or handle or stop better, waste of money.

I got the Hellas as part of a package from my friends LGT he was selling (in my pics) I got a whole slew of parts for 700$ (accessport,springs/struts,headlights,fogs,grille,etc)so I made out pretty good. That aside, I replaced my battery a couple months ago because my stock one was shot from sitting most of the winter.Got an interstate megatron II for it. I'm def going to change the diff fluids in the future so thank you for the oil suggestion, most appreciated.

- Save up for new (better) struts/shocks as lowering springs of any type will shorten the life of OE struts/shocks.

- No real need for filter.

- HID's are the first mod I do to any non-HID car.

- Grill's are inexpensive, nice mods.

- A lot of people love their supertones. I don't use my horns enough to really care whether or not I have them.

- Tranny coolers are always nice as temp is the number one problem in transmissions

- Cobb AP's are easy to use and tune, there is also the option of open source. Read up on both and decide. Also, if you go AP, you will need the SUB-003 not the V2 (SUB-002).

Look's like you already have a lip and wheels so I won't suggest those. Tint is always nice if you don't have that done yet. If you want a bit of sound consider looking at the Nameless Performance muffler deletes or axle-back's. Also consider doing sways + endlinks and brackets for the rear or small things like the Grimmspeed MCB.

Just follow normal maintenance procedures for the most part. Make sure you are using a good oil, checking it regularly and maintaining good OCI's. Other than that you should be set.

Welcome to the forum.

I've been maintaining this car very anally because I know how subys are . I almost feel like they use a bit of oil but like I said I check it after every drive. Tint is ticket central where I live although I've been very tempted to anyway since I don't daily drive it(and it would look gorgeous with my black 2 tone theme I have). I was considering a mangaflow catback because it seems like a stock look and has a nice rumble not too loud. But for now I'm keeping it quiet. I'm positive that I'm going to upgrade the suspension further like you said. Any idea on the cost for the sways and endlinks? What is a grimspeed mcb? Thank you for your advice. Love this forum

I recently did the Kartboy rear diff outrigger bushings and transmission cross-member bushings. The cost was minimal and I noticed a worthwhile difference. A little more cabin noise but I kind of like the sound. going to do my rear diff mount inserts next along with a tranny mount. About time to replace my struts too.

• 2 weeks later...
I recently did the Kartboy rear diff outrigger bushings and transmission cross-member bushings. The cost was minimal and I noticed a worthwhile difference. A little more cabin noise but I kind of like the sound. going to do my rear diff mount inserts next along with a tranny mount. About time to replace my struts too.

I will most certainly look into that. If you don't mind me asking , what is the benefit of doing those mods ? Have yet to hear about that

I will most certainly look into that. If you don't mind me asking , what is the benefit of doing those mods ? Have yet to hear about that

Basically it stiffens up your mounts so you lose less energy through the drivetrain and put more power to the wheels. If you are looking to do it I would pair them with the STI tranny mount. That's like 86 bucks and if you do all three it will make a substantial difference.

I'd go stage 1, better map all around. Save for stage 2, up and down pipe.

HID's are nice. The rest is a waste IMHO.

The BEST bang for the buck is the master cyl brace by Grimmspeed. Night and day difference in pedal feel.

What he means is that there's less brake pedal travel until the brakes actually bite. Basically, with the Grimmspeed brace, once you hit the brake pedal, you'll be stopping instantly instead of having to push it in about two inches until you start stopping.

I hope that makes sense. :)

• 2 weeks later...
one does not simply just buy Cobb springs

I got them as a package deal when my buddy sold his 08 LGT (in my photos ) and sold me all his aftermarket stuff. I made out pretty good. Saving up for some BC coilovers and some more worth while mods. Warranty is still in effect for another 2 years so for now just going to run basic bolt ons, stage 1 ap tune, and beefing up the suspension like others have mentioned. I miss driving it haha it just sits in my driveway :p

Basically it stiffens up your mounts so you lose less energy through the drivetrain and put more power to the wheels. If you are looking to do it I would pair them with the STI tranny mount. That's like 86 bucks and if you do all three it will make a substantial difference.

Appreciate your elaboration , sounds like a no brainer at that cost. Another thing I noticed with this car in particular compared to my wrx is there's so many damn heat shields they rattle like crazy. Tempted to dive in and replace them haha

What he means is that there's less brake pedal travel until the brakes actually bite. Basically, with the Grimmspeed brace, once you hit the brake pedal, you'll be stopping instantly instead of having to push it in about two inches until you start stopping.

I hope that makes sense. :)

Thank you it most certainly does. These brakes stop nice for a heavy car ! Once my life calms down a bit I will begin to spoil it with some nice add ons. Also any recommendations / gains on a bigger top mount inter cooler ?

Archived