LegacyGT.com

DIY Legacy GT Mirror Install

waht i remeber from replaing my drvr side mirror onmy lgt

1.remove plate behind door opener handle

2. remove screw from behind door opener handle

3.remove cover on door closing handle(tape covered screwdriver on bottom of handle and pry out pops right off)

4 remove 2 screws from door closiong handle one on top and on bottom

5. using gental pulling pressure start at bottome left corner and pull door cover off. there popit around the permiter. there metal so no worries on breaking them.(like i did with my dodge carger r/t)

6. remove door opener cable and power wondow/lock cable

7. remove littel triangle cover to gain access to 3 mirror srews

8. remove screws mirror comes right off

after that you are on your own to wirer mirror

sorry no pics. but took me litterly 15 min to take it all off, change mirror and put back to gether

dont mind my spelling. im not an english major

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK....Tonight I did the full swap and everything is working great!!

Here are the steps on how to swap out mirrors and wiring. I did not take pictures because it's pretty self explanatory.

1. First Follow the steps listed above to remove the door panel.

2. Unhook everything and set the panel aside, you do not need it until the end.

3. Unclip the harness for the mirror and unscrew the 3 screws holding the stock mirror. Remove Mirror.

4. Screw in new mirror, you will notice the plugs are different sizes....this is where the GT wiring harness comes in.

5. Remove the kick panel along the inside of the car, it's really easy to remove...just pull it up. In the corner, where your feet would go, remove the small plastic trim to expose the door harness.

6. Unclip the harness. It will come down slighty to give you room to unplug it.

7. Remove the 2 screws holding in the tweeter and unhook it. Now the messy part, peel the plastic sheet back on the door. I recommend using a razor blade to keep the gum from stretching out. Pull down 3/4 of the way, it is not necessary to remove the whole sheet.

8. Next you will have to use some force and pop the rubber grommets out away from the car. I used a screwdriver to get it started. There will be 2 grommets. The first is at the bottom of the door and the other one is toward the top where the wire goes in.

9. Now you have to unclip all of the old mounts for the old wire. You could just yank them out, but if you are careful, you can salvage the wiring.

10. Remove the wire and throw it aside.

11. Next is installing the new wire. Make sure you have the right wire before hooking it up. The driver side will have a larger plug that connects to the door and the passenger wire has 2 plugs to hook it up to the door.

12. Installation is the reverse of removing the original wire. Clip in the wires to the door just like the old one. Plug in all of the connectors.

13. Make sure the door grommets are popped back in, the top one is more tricky than the bottom, but after you play around with it it will go in. The bottom one just pops in place.

14. Attach the plastic back to the door. Remember to leave the wires that need to connect to the door outside before you seal it back up.

15. Now, grab the door panel and start hooking it back up. Notice the wiring harness for the GT mirror now fits the new wire.

16. Screw the panel back on and one more step....Hooking it up!!

17. Plug in the new harness to the car and put the kick panel back on.

18. Turn on your 4 ways and check it out!!!!

http://www.ryanlucas.net/images/mirrors022.jpg

I bought everything new. I got the mirrors from SubaruPartsForYou.com and paid $385. I got the wiring from SubaruParts.com for $160. So overall I paid $545. If you are looking for used mirrors, good luck. I looked for a while with no luck.

Here are the 2.5GT door cord part numbers:

Drivers Front Door: 81820AG17A - Approx. $70.00

Passenger Front Door: 81821AG13A - Approx. $65.00

and the mirror numbers (These are for Atlantic Blue Pearl Mirrors-ABE, make sure you order your correct color):

Drivers: 91031AG07ABE - Approx. $200.00

Passenger: 91031AG06ABE - Approx. $200.00

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'd go and cross reference the part numbers for the harnesses off a 05 and your 08 an then do the same for the wire diagrams for both as well; I'm sure they're all the same. Quickest way to check if the mirrors from the 05 will fit is to pop the plastic cover off and measure the distance between the 3 bolts that hold the mirror in, third bolt is covered by a plastic grommet thingy.

I just kept it simple and lucked out on finding a set of 07 mirrors with door harnesses so it was an easy swap. Hardest part was probably pulling all the wiring and trying not to break any of the clips. Good luck!

To bring this back from the dead, would i be able to swap 05 gt mirrors onto a 2008 2.5i, using just the mirrors and harnesses?

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
Trying to install 2005 gt mirrors into a 2.5i. If I get the gt door harnesses will I still need to run a wire to the turn signals? or is the harness the door harness connects to in the car pre wired?

I'm trying to do the same thing. I bought LGT harnesses for just the mirrors. My original harnesses had 6 wires, the gt harnesses have 8 wires. Now with heating and power mirrors on each side, I'm stuck with two extra wires for the turn signals which I don't know how to wire. Let me know how things work out for you.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would share my experiences with this swap. To start, I have a 2005 2.5i w/heated & power mirrors. I purchased signal mirrors from a member off a 2005 LGT. These mirrors came with blueish covers so I purchased white covers from Libertyautosubaruparts.com. This was the cheapest place I could find online to order from and shipping was very fast. ( came in 4 days)

Next, I purchased front drivers and passengers side complete door harnesses from a member off a 2005 OBXT. ( which came with signal mirrors) I used the above info for the swap but thought I should add a couple photos to help illustrate the swap.

In the first picture (top left) there is a panel that needs to be removed to access the interior plug for the door harness (same both sides)

#2 - remove interior plug and pull out through the white plastic tube from the back side, pop the weather seal off the plastic retainer to show the 3 clips and depress with a flat head to remove. Next, undue the weather seal inside the door and pull entire assembly through. Un-clip all harnesses and set aside.

#3 - Original mirror harness left, new signal mirror harness right. Notice the additional width to accommodate the blinker signal wires.

#4 - Original black mirror.

#5 - 3 8mm or phillips bolts that need to be removed to disconnect mirror. The lower left bolt is hidden under a plastic cover.

#6 - Finished product in 100% working condition. No need to run wires to the front blinkers or any of that. These door harnesses where plug and play! Mirrors heat, adjust and blink with hazards, turn signals and lock/unlock.

mirror2.thumb.jpg.814fe3172b32ea630fe17b0258aa839a.jpg

mirro1.thumb.jpg.5470ed0c4ac390dba504693fc2394650.jpg

mirror3.thumb.jpg.5127f4026d165cc42059800a6570f3d5.jpg

mirror4.thumb.jpg.67b0de056cdb35f400d4ca6eefbc7900.jpg

mirror5.thumb.jpg.1045eb0ef5d2aeffa0f7b6644cec5e52.jpg

mirror6.thumb.jpg.102739fe09d52516db114979ca241c2f.jpg

If you get the correct harnesses, there is no need to wire from your turn signals. It will all be in the GT harness. It's just plug and play!

Except for this response, I couldn't find anything definite about this swap either, anywhere.

I would just try and make sure the donor parts come from a similar year as I am unsure of compatibility from different years. I would also test the new harness and mirror before tearing into the door.

Archived