LegacyGT.com

Cloudy Headlights After LED Mod

absolutsnwbrdr

Ok so I finally decided to bake my headlights because I noticed that they were a little cloudy and it wouldnt go away. I assumed it was condensation, but its not. While they were open, I was going to clean them and remove the LED strips that had failed over the winter.

Well to my confusion and dismay, whatever happened to them is a mystery to me...

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs003.snc1/2782_522858126682_72100768_30992700_8266583_n.jpg

I have NO IDEA why this happened, but I blame the LED strips. Its not a film, its almost like the clear lense has deteriorated on the inside, causing the cloudy effect. Not pleased.

Any ideas?

I'm afraid I already know the answer to my next question, but I thought I'd ask anyway... Is there anyway to purchase the clear headlight lense seperately from the entire housing? :icon_neut

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How long have they been cloudy like that? Did it show up soon after putting in the LED strips? What did you use to hold the LED strips in place? If you used some type of glue or adhesive, it could have released a solvent that is harmful to the plastic the lenses are made out of.

saw this once before. did you paint something? Someone suggested it could have been a cleaner or a paint that was inside the light. Some other people said it was improper sealing.

The guy wound up just buying ebay lights. I dont remember his nick. :(

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

wow man I'm sorry that happenned, it almost looks like the LEDs got really hot and burned the lens although that seems impossible. If you have luck enough to find a site that just sells the lense I'd be interested too, mine are pretty beat up.

I think i was the third person to try the mod, so I've had them for a little while. Slowly the LED's started failing, and I finally got a chance to dig into the project.

I'm not really sure when I noticed the cloudiness. They were fine for months, but then i started noticing what I thought was condensation... wrong :(

I used a small amount of epoxy to secure them... maybe thats what caused it? It was supposed to be safe for plastics, but who knows. Now I think I'm SOL.

this happened to the very top of my lights right where the outer plastic piece curves, just on the top. it thought that it happened in the oven. Not sure, i bought eyelids to cover it up. :iam:

i really think it has something to do with cheap materials in the led strips... just look at the damage left behind... you can pick out each led.... maybe the material started to deteriorate and left off a gas of some sort which slowly ate away at other parts of the lense

hopefully removing the strips and cleaning the entire headlight will prevent any further damage until i can find reasonably priced replacements. Its not the end of the world... just sucks.

I miss the functioning led strips :(

... and nice clear headlights :( :(

I used a small amount of epoxy to secure them... maybe thats what caused it? It was supposed to be safe for plastics, but who knows.

That's it. It's safe for plastics as in it doesn't have a reaction with them and turn them into a puddle of goo. But as the epoxy dries it outgasses and that is what is causing the cloudiness.

It's ok to use epoxy in there, but you have to let it FULLY cure before sealing back up. anywhere from 24-72 hours

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

haha sorry about the quick/short responses and flooding... a headlight was in the oven and needed to be put back together

as for the epoxy drying... i let it dry...

they were fine for months

its not like i did the leds yesterday... it was back in the fall... headlights started getting cloudy maybe a month ago.

it sucks....

i guess just use my experience as a lesson and keep an eye on your headlights. if it looks like you MIGHT have condensation or even a HINT of clouding... pull the lights, bake them, and don't do whatever it was that i did

:redface:

so... anyone wanna swap headlights? :rolleyes:

:lol:

live and learn.

everyone says that.

I scraped the oem out and put new in. ... mainly because I got dog hair in the original stuff. :lol:

thats what I get for clearing them on the floor I guess.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Archived