LegacyGT.com

2014 Cluster in a 2011

I have looked and found no info on this, so i found one for $30 to give it a try. As I plugged it in it all works. The immobilizer wouldn't let the car start but that was obvious. But I took the car up to the dealer and they reprogrammed it to work, the mileage couldn't be changed but they gave me paperwork stating the mileage it was done at so there will not be any confusion if i sell it. There is 2 side effects to doing this i have noticed, may or may not be a fix for it either. But the airbag light is on, also the check engine light is on. The dealer ran the codes and found nothing, The dealer and I both think it is due to the different wheel and features of the newer model. The Lens on the cluster is scrached up, it was $30 so i expected it. But the lens can be changed from the original anyway. Here is pictures of it in the car. It is a 2.5i Limited

18083815_778101942347659_872349016_o.thumb.jpg.653c237205eaea8cea0df33699bcd803.jpg

18120449_778101985680988_1229828678_o.thumb.jpg.e6ee2a817b6a38ec80523d44dcf9718a.jpg

17917258_774974265993760_4330657413269259697_o.thumb.jpg.056c588956dd720ac28c5501a5ee774c.jpg

Edited by iDylanBowman

we were discussing this on the 5th gen Facebook group... someone thought that the new programming could possibly revert back, leaving you with an immobilized car. I was all on board for doing this, but that killed it. may or may not be true, but I'm not rolling the dice on getting stranded with a toddler in the car because I had to have a prettier gauge. :/

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I wonder what one of these would do if you swapped it into a car with a 6MT - would it recognize the gear settings, or would it flip out?

Lots of places can program the odometer

http://odo-pro.com

http://www.instrumentclusters.com/

etc.

no idea how good/bad they are - if you google, you find lots of them, though. I would think the immobilizer would be a separate thing from the mileage - programming one shouldn't impact the other...

I don't see why the Subaru dealer couldn't change the mileage. Guys with SH Foresters swap their clusters out all the time for the more attractive 2010-2013 clusters if they have a 2009, or to a Touring model cluster, and they have one of the head techs at the dealership plug it into the SSM, log into Subaru's dealer service website, and reprogram the mileage. Usually at the same time they do the immobilizer and mileage. But they need you to be there when you unplug the old cluster to swap to the new one to personally witness the mileage on it. Edited by GTEASER

looking at the wiring, it appears the MIL is handled completely internal to the combination meter for the new one, vs. in the ECM for the old ones - so to make the MIL go off, you probably have to sort that out. Same deal with the airbag light. On the old combination meter, the MIL is on pin 6 and the airbag light is on pin 12 (this is for the i10 connector (40 pin) on the back of the comination meter), but neither of those are connected on the new combination meters - so the signals are passed differently (the logic for the MIL appears to be in the combination meter instead of the ECU and the airbag control module talks to the combination meter via the CANBUS instead of directly, when comparing the new vs. old).

I wonder what one of these would do if you swapped it into a car with a 6MT - would it recognize the gear settings, or would it flip out?

Lots of places can program the odometer

http://odo-pro.com

http://www.instrumentclusters.com/

etc.

no idea how good/bad they are - if you google, you find lots of them, though. I would think the immobilizer would be a separate thing from the mileage - programming one shouldn't impact the other...

It won't recognize the gears on a manual. I helped someone on here get one in their manual. These clusters are designed for automatics only. We were able to trick it to show the gear we wanted but, it caused even more of a Christmas tree of warning lights do to the extra module needed for it. It's all pretty much done over can bus communication.

I highly doubt the transponder would ever revert back. It's stored in the cluster and I have not heard back from the guy who did it with any issues. I was gonna do it to mine but it will be an expensive conversion I don't want to dive into right now. At least to do it all the right way.

If I'm not mistaken, the wiring may already be there for them. You would have to buy the switch and I believe the rear shroud for the steering wheel. Then install them. There is no programming needed for them. If for some reason the wiring/plug is not there, then if I remember correctly you only need to run one or two wires up to the cluster. If you have to do that then I also believe you have to add wires to the pin locations for them. I only think you have to add them for the years that that cluster wasn't an option. Its been a while so for the older models you have to come up with a way to get the wiring through the steering wheel. Either an spare wire in the clock spring or change out the clock spring for the newer one.

I don't see why the Subaru dealer couldn't change the mileage. Guys with SH Foresters swap their clusters out all the time for the more attractive 2010-2013 clusters if they have a 2009, or to a Touring model cluster, and they have one of the head techs at the dealership plug it into the SSM, log into Subaru's dealer service website, and reprogram the mileage. Usually at the same time they do the immobilizer and mileage. But they need you to be there when you unplug the old cluster to swap to the new one to personally witness the mileage on it.

There was something about these clusters that made it so they can't change them with their tool. Even most places that do the mileage programming couldn't do it. The guy on here that had it done had to search for a bit to find a place he could ship it to. I think they open up the cluster to get at the chip that stores it and they flash it with the new mileage.

How would the temp gauge be displaying temp if the car wiring has that as an MPG gauge?

The mpg and temp gauges are both analog signals. The wiring at the plug is the same for them regardless of how the gauge cluster is laid out. The new cluster just has a digital representation of the mpg and an actual gauge for the temp instead of the red and blue lights for high and low temp. The signal is still the same.

the temp gauge works. the mileage can be changed and no the it did not revert back. i was the one that did it on facebook, you guys just took the light being on as something but it just happened to blink when i took the picture. it works as intended with all the features. just have two warning lights on. im still working on ways to see if i can fix the lights

the temp gauge works. the mileage can be changed and no the it did not revert back. i was the one that did it on facebook, you guys just took the light being on as something but it just happened to blink when i took the picture. it works as intended with all the features. just have two warning lights on. im still working on ways to see if i can fix the lights

Did the dealer do the mileage for you?

also at this point im thinking on buying a 2014 wheel to see if the airbag and wheel controls are causing these lights. after having my car at the dealer multiple times they also think this may be the cause.

This won't fix the issue. The switch goes straight to the cluster and is just for menu access and features. It in all actuality it electrically disconnected until you push the buttons. The airbag is info that is being sent via CAN bus. I don't remember if he had an airbag light issue or not. But changing the airbag won't fix it unless you actually have a problem with the airbag. The dealer absolutely can't program the mileage on this cluster. Even if you have one fail and order it brand new, they just put a sticker in the door noting the mileage differance.

So this is interesting - for the 2012, the MIL logic is handled in the gauge cluster the same way it is in the new cluster (it was handled in the ECM for 2010 and 2011, but in 2012, it changed (with the exception of the C6 market, which is not USDM). The airbag light is still controlled by the airbag control module for the 2012. The MIL is one light I would not want to give up the functionality of with a swap.

For the 2013 and 2014, it looks like you should be able to swap in the meter with the display and everything will work properly, as they have both the airbag and MIL handled internal to the combination meter with everything passed on the canbus. Makes sense since 13 was when the fancy meter showed up in the 2.5i/3.6R limited models.

Ok - so for the airbag light, not sure there is an easy way to get that to work - it looks like the airbag control module is different for the 2010-2012 and the 2013/2014 - from the service manual, the difference is that the signal out on pin 11 from the control module goes to the combination meter for the airbag light, while on the 13/14, pins 13 and 22 are a twisted pair going to the canbus, and nothing is on pin 11.... parts.subaru.com shows a different part, suggesting that may be correct.

don't think the airbag light is going to function without some potentially expensive experimentation... maybe you could try switching the airbag module and running the leads... personally, I wouldn't want to play with the explosively driven airbag aimed at my face when I drive...

• 2 weeks later...
I just test fitted mine to my 2014 and it was a very simple plug and play. at first the Subaru Dealer was not wanting to program it but once I told them I already test fitted it and they were like OK we'll do it. IMHO best upgrade you can do for cluster. I am skipping the menu keys as they are pretty much not needed in my case.

• 3 months later...
the MIL and a number of lights are handled on the canbus for the 13-14, but they are not on the 10-12. The 2010 doesn't pass the information that the new cluster wants on the canbus for those, so they won't work properly unless that can be sorted out.

the MIL and a number of lights are handled on the canbus for the 13-14, but they are not on the 10-12. The 2010 doesn't pass the information that the new cluster wants on the canbus for those, so they won't work properly unless that can be sorted out.

But his cluster isn't showing the same message that mine was? Do I need a cluster from a non eye sight Subaru?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk