LegacyGT.com

Paddle Shifters on 05-07's???

Now I have been searching around and reading through all the post/topics I could find on the subject but has anyone on this Forum completed the task of replacing the button shifters with paddle shifters??? If this has not happened yet I think I will try and tackle this as soon as my car is back from the shop. I know that most people think of it as super rice but I think it fits well with the car. Whilst in the process I might as well do the steering wheel audio control mod too. I have read some info on the outback Forum but it is a little wierd sounding to me. If anyone has any advice or have any direction for me to go it would be much appreciated. As of right now my thought process will be going through the roof until I get the SCOOBIE back in my hands.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was also wondering the same thing. Paddle shifters would be awesome. I have the 05 ll bean outback with audio controls, it'd be sweet to add paddle shifters to it. Hopefully someone can help!

you would have to see if 08-09 hardware can fit 05-07 steering columns. you would need 08-09 steering wheel, airbag, and paddle shifters and wire it in to your existing clock spring.

Actually from looking around all you need is the part the Combo switch's attach to, Paddle Shifters and some electrical knowledge. The 05-09 Steering wheel and airbag are the same. Like I said once the car is back I am going to try this out and get as much info out there for others to use.

No, the 08-09 wheel and airbag is different. Search, you will see.

Wow that is very weird. For the 05-06 in a parts Diagram the wheel is like a 4 spoke style. Strange because my Wheel that I have is a 3 spoke momo? Like the one shown in a 08-09 parts diagram. I must look into this more something or someone is wrong.

Well thank you for that insight. I have been trying to find good pictures of both and now I have them. Yes the steering wheels are different but I don't think that they play a major role in the paddle shifters since it rest's behind the wheel. If it does come down to it needing an 08 wheel I will find one since my 05 has seen better days anyway. Like I said once I get my car back from the shop I will put some time into this. Also I figured that since I am going this route I might as well Wire up some radio controls on the wheel to.

paddles are held in with 5 self taping screws, only 4 out of the 5 work attaching to 05-07 clock spring without getting a 08+ clock spring. the paddles are attached to the clock spring... well thats what i remembered when i read someone doing it

cant find that diy now but here are some ref materials. no one tried it in these ref

linky

linky

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

paddles are held in with 5 self taping screws, only 4 out of the 5 work attaching to 05-07 clock spring without getting a 08+ clock spring. the paddles are attached to the clock spring... well thats what i remembered when i read someone doing it

cant find that diy now but here are some ref materials. no one tried it in these ref

linky

linky

Yep witch is why I would like to go for it. After looking at everything closely this is going to be a long and expensive process.

What my plan is:

08 Steering Wheel

08 Steering Wheel Controls(audio/cruise to replace the shifters)

08 Combo Switch should come with clock spring

08 Air Bag

08 Paddle shifters with screw

08 P-204UH Radio

Cost if went through Stealership or Stealership websites is easily over $1500.

As of right now I have my eye out for some cheaper parts on ebay. This will take some time if I go the Ebay route for some parts rarely if ever show up on there.

Yep I have looked into that as well. All in all it is a cheaper option but I am all about trying to keep the car having an OEM look to it. I am very strange when it comes to modding my car. If I can upgrade a part with a newer OEM unit I will.

Ok so as I was looking around for the 08 Wheel with radio/cruise controls, Paddle shifters, Clockspring, Combo switches and connection to hold the paddle shifters. All new from the dealer is around $850 with shipping. The only major thing left would be the air bag witch is another $600 through the dealer.

With a lil time and possibly some small donations i could make a harness that taps into trans runs into column. has a box with buttons and fab an aluminum paddle set that works with everything..

gotga love engineering/manufacturing.

then again that seems like work. but prolly cheaper than oem or aftermarket.

p.s. Our stock column most likely isnt wired for shifting. just a heads up

I love everyone's input on this. It's making me think more into this project then I originally did. Now that the spline question comes into play I don't think it will be a problem for the fact I know several people have done an 09 STI wheel swap into their older Legacy's and STI's. I am going to start purchasing some things from Ebay since they will be cheaper then the Stealership route. So by the time I get my car back I will be able to put it all in. As for the wiring issue. I found out how our 05 wheel controls are wired up so at that point I have the choice in creating an OEM style harness or just tapping in to the harness. The great thing about Subaru's is most parts a interchangeable. I will keep everyone updated on my journey and eventually provide a DIY so people can do it. BTW someone has done this a while ago on an 05 OBXT and it looked awesome. It's just a matter of time before I get it to everyone here.

Archived