LegacyGT.com

what trans will fit 96 awd legacy with 2.2 auto

you can use a 95 - 98, maybe 99, auto trans from a legacy with a 2.2L engine or 96 - 98, maybe 99, from an impreza with either a 2.2L or 1.8L engine.

your trans has a 4.11 final drive ratio as do the ones listed above.

to double check, read the trans code number on the bell housing at the starter. all AWD auto trans from the 90s are the same basic trans, TZ102Zxxxx. you have a TZ102ZABAA. you can use any trans from the late 90s that starts with TZ102Z and has a letter in the ''red A'' position. if it has a '2' in that position it will be from a 2.5L car and have a different final drive ratio.

confused? just find an auto trans from a 2.2L car from the late 90s. check the code number and then ask.

because the code numbers changed most every year, when you search for a trans at www.car-part.com, you will have to search most years and models separately. once you find one, when you call the yard to buy it, ask for the year and model you have already found. do not mention your actual year and model or they will tell you it will not fit. they may not warranty the part.

not a bad deal if you are willing to do the extra work.

you may notice a slight difference in fuel economy, fewer MPG. you will have a lower final drive ratio and this will make your car slightly more powerful or quicker. the GT has this setup with 205/55/16 tires (a hair bigger then stock lego L tires).

if you swap in outback tires, (you will need the outback struts to get enough clearance for the tires) you will almost restore the car to it's original power setup.

or you may not notice any difference at all.

• 2 weeks later...
Been searching for a tranny to fit My 96 awd legacy with 2.2. Found one But not 100% sure if Its a good direct replacement. Code is tz102zaaa. And it looks like from What u said on my thread that it will. just double checking any input would be great

most likely, it means you either wrote it down wrong or you typed it wrong, or i guess it could have been damaged or scraped off of the bell housing.

but as long as the part you typed is accurate, it will fit. the last letter would only point to the modle of the car it was in, not the final drive ratio.

what car is it coming out of?

it's probably a typo. they all have 4 characters after the 2nd Z. legacys w/ 2.2L engines have 4 letters, outbacks and GTs (LSi) have the number 2 and three letters.

and there is not one that ends in ...aaaB or aaaC, nor is there one that ends in ...2aaa. so it will fit.

if the price is right i'd get it.

how many miles, how much money? any warranty?

• 5 weeks later...

I have a 2.2L as well looking for a replacement transmission.

Found a junkyard that has a JDM Legacy automatic transmission with a 4.11 gear ratio with around 45,000 miles for $400. Do the JDM auto transmissions differ at all from the USDM auto transmissions? This seems like my best bet especially with such low mileage. They say its from a 1996 Legacy.

Would a transmission code of "TZ1A4ZSAAA-WA" work on a 2.2L?

in the usa, (and i assume world wide)

a trans with TZ1A4Z..... is a phase 2 trans (99 and up) and will not work.

in the usa, (and i assume world wide)

a trans with TZ1A4Z..... is a phase 2 trans (99 and up) and will not work.

Ah okay, thanks!

I'd just buy a 95 US auto transmission but I'm trying to find one with around 100k miles or less since I'm having to pay the labor to get it swapped.. wouldn't make sense to put in another transmission that would blow up quickly, ya know? People are saying 99 and below auto transmissions work... can we put 2.5L 1999 or below auto transmissions onto our 2.2L?

Ah okay, thanks!

I'd just buy a 95 US auto transmission but I'm trying to find one with around 100k miles or less since I'm having to pay the labor to get it swapped.. wouldn't make sense to put in another transmission that would blow up quickly, ya know? People are saying 99 and below auto transmissions work... can we put 2.5L 1999 or below auto transmissions onto our 2.2L?

most of the info you want is in the first page of this thread,

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/trans-fit-96-awd-legacy-2-2-auto-158274.html

Archived