LegacyGT.com

Oil Change Question..

So I decided to put the LGT up on ramps and change out the oil and filter with Penzoil Platnium 5w-30. I picked up a Bosch Filter and I also ordered a Mfactory Magnetic drain plug. I go thru the normal steps of draining the engine oil and removing the filter. Nothing to crazy here. I filled the filter up with the new oil, lubed the gasket and installed it fine. A good one turn past hand tight.

Now this is where it gets fun. I go to install the new drain plug I got but the magnet is too big. It wont fit all the way into the pan. There is some sort of cross member in the pan that is blocking it. Well, I dont have any unused crush washers so I decide to just reuse the one that is currently on the stock plug. I put it on, tighten it down and figure Im done. Fill the car with the 4.5 quarts left in the bottle, check the levels and call it a night. I later took the car out on a spirited run around the block..maybe 15 minutes, just to see if I could "feel" the new oil.

The next morning I check under the car to see if there is any leakage and sure enough there seems to be a small puddle. There is no residue sitting on top of the garage floor but it seems like some of it dried into the floor. I took it to work this way and 8 hours later I checked the work parking lot and it was clean. Not a drip. I got home, put the car on ramps and tightened down the bolt till it was as tight as I could physically tighten it. (Im not He-Man.) Put a white rag under the car after that and called it a night.

This morning I woke up and the white rag is spotless. Any reason for concern? Could it have been left over residue from the original change? I really want to get a new crush washer now and replace the old one, but I also dont want to throw away 5 qts of oil..

Buy a bag of crush washers so you'll always ahve an extra. Unlike other washers which I have re-used on Mazda, Honda, Acura products, the Subaru has a "blister" on the surface which really does crush. I would never attempt to re-use these washers, and I'm sure that's planned by Subaru as well.

I think the pan has been damaged by the reused crush washer. Common occurence when you don't use JDM crush washers.

You're always full of good news. ;) Im going to order a Fumoto valve and a new oem crush washer from Subaruwrxparts.com. Unless I notice anymore seepage Im just going to wait till the next oil change to install the valve. If not atleast I'll get a nice synthetic flush for 20 bucks.

I highly doubt Im strong enuff to damage the oil drain pan.

So far so good...No leaks. Hopefully I'll get the Fumoto next week with an OEM crush washer and be done with that whole mess for awhile. I bought another 5 quarts of PP 5w-30 just incase I cant save whats in there and decide to do a flush..

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
any recommendation on how to replace the crush washer without losing the new oil?

you are going to think I'm crazy but we do this at work alot when a car as a leak at the drain plug.

What you will need:

a buddy

a shop vac

new drain plug and washer

wrench

How to do it: Take oil cap off, have buddy hold shop vac hose to fill tube

pull drain plug and put new one in. And no it will not suck the oil out the top and yes it keeps the oil from going out the drain hole. just make sure or buddy dose not move the hose before you have the new plug in.:munch:

• 3 weeks later...
you are going to think I'm crazy but we do this at work alot when a car as a leak at the drain plug.

What you will need:

a buddy

a shop vac

new drain plug and washer

wrench

How to do it: Take oil cap off, have buddy hold shop vac hose to fill tube

pull drain plug and put new one in. And no it will not suck the oil out the top and yes it keeps the oil from going out the drain hole. just make sure or buddy dose not move the hose before you have the new plug in.:munch:

done this before on a previous, works wonders

• 3 weeks later...

Re-using a crush washer a few times should be ok, but cranking on a bolt as hard as you can is likely to cause problems. That only gets about 33 ft-lbs., and the pan is probably AL, although it might have stronger threads.

Your Fumoto comes with a felt washer, which I used when I put mine on (and the other 4 or 5 I've done), no leaks so far. (And yes, they're great, I now put one on everything new-to-me at the first change.)

Andy

• 3 years later...
Was not aware you had to fill the filter before putting it on 😱

Just a good practice to make sure the oil gets into the engine asap. Fill slowly, pause and top up. I don't fill the filter entirely because if you tilt or tip it during installation the oil runs all over the outside and makes a mess.

Archived