LegacyGT.com

New Leggy owner- transition to synthetic w/ high mileage?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just got a legacy with 105k and threw some synthetic in her, after she's been on dino. I hope she doesn't leak, but so far so good. I don't think there should be any problems, and I always heard the transition would be a good idea.

Awesome, well be sure to report back and update! Congrats on your new ride

Thanks and I'll keep you posted. Don't know why anyone wouldn't use synthetic from the start! Seems like a sin not to...

I know right? The previous owner of mine took it to the dealer for every service, and apparently they recommended him not to use synthetic apparently. Bah!

I'd be more worried about oil consumsion then which kind of oil.

I use dino oil in my 05 since it was new. I check it twice a week and top it off as needed.

Don't change the oil and forget it for 3000 miles. It will be to late.

There's also a method to checking the oil.

I've learned to pull the dip stick and 2" after I park the car at work. 8 hours late come out and check the oil.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

i've always heard switching will cause it to leak. Just picked up an 05 non turbo with 113k. Haven't done my first oil change yet but was wondering if i should do synthetic. Has anyone had a bad experience? I'd like to get 5000 miles out of an oil change just because of the hassle of doing it so much when i commute 40 miles a day.

Don't do 5000 oil changes unless your using something like Amsoil.

Learn to check your oil and top it off as needed.

My 09 Spec B has Amsoil and I will do another oil analyse at 7000 miles. The oil has about 6100 miles on it now. Car has 32,000+ miles.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I would stick to dino. I've used both on my 05 and when I switched to dino, I noticed less oil consumption. I've rebuilt my motor and have stayed with dino after being on synthetic for 50k.
____Spending funds in mass quantities! I keep telling myself it's just a hobby?

I'd be more worried about oil consumsion then which kind of oil.

I use dino oil in my 05 since it was new. I check it twice a week and top it off as needed.

Don't change the oil and forget it for 3000 miles. It will be to late.

There's also a method to checking the oil.

I've learned to pull the dip stick and 2" after I park the car at work. 8 hours late come out and check the oil.

What Max said.

Synthetic tends to be a thinner oil from the start. Over time things may wear in the motor and after a late life switch you might get oil leaks. There is also concern that oil deposits will get eaten away with synthetic and causing leaks.

Now, when it comes to oil changes/oil comsumption, you NEED to check it. Subarus are known to eat oil as time goes on and if you wait for the 3k mark you are more likely to cook something. I check my oil every few days as I know on average how my car runs. Every car is different and depending on the oil you use, how you drive the car, where you drive it and the condition of the parts will give you different results. The condition of the oil is another huge thing. Oil should be clear to see through, and smooth to the touch. If you cant see through it and it feels gritty you've waited to long.

So the short answer is you wont destroy a motor by using synthetic late in life. Do it for an oil change and see what happens. If eats more than before, either switch to a heavier weight or go back to dino. The most important thing is change and dont be stingy and try and hold out to save a few pennies. If the oil is looking crappy change it.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Don't do 5000 oil changes unless your using something like Amsoil.

Learn to check your oil and top it off as needed.

My 09 Spec B has Amsoil and I will do another oil analyse at 7000 miles. The oil has about 6100 miles on it now. Car has 32,000+ miles.

Wow, "learn to check your oil". I'm new to Subaru, not new to life.

Would you not trust mobil1 to last 5k? Coming from a s2000, and their forum, i've never heard or experienced anything bad with mobil1. Do the subaru engines handle oil that differently?

Would you not trust mobil1 to last 5k? Coming from a s2000, and their forum, i've never heard or experienced anything bad with mobil1. Do the subaru engines handle oil that differently?

Just a guess.

Subaru folks seem to blame oil for their motors woes instead of the car maker & sometimes the person looking at them in the mirror. Mobil 1 is most popular synthetic so most likely in the most cars and when one has problems folks jump on the band wagon its the oil. The only real way to tell is a used oil analysis but seems extreme to me.

Just a guess.

Subaru folks seem to blame oil for their motors woes instead of the car maker & sometimes the person looking at them in the mirror. Mobil 1 is most popular synthetic so most likely in the most cars and when one has problems folks jump on the band wagon its the oil. The only real way to tell is a used oil analysis but seems extreme to me.

Different oil for different cars. Different engines have different tolerances and react to different oils differently. It's not just the oil that makes a difference, it's the viscosity. I used to use Mobil 1 15w50. Now I'm pretty sure I'm one of a very few Subaru owners who use an oil of this weight, but it worked very well for me. The thicker weight of the oil always made my engine run smoother. Now I use dino. I see no sense in paying extra for the synthetic when Rotella t5 (dino) 10w40 does the same job for me for half the price. To each his own.

____Spending funds in mass quantities! I keep telling myself it's just a hobby?

Over the years (10+) we've been working on Subies and have seen 100s and 100s. The Mobil 1 does not work well on Subies in the 5w30 and 5w40 weights. Generally it's consumed much quicker (at the rate of 1Q per 1k miles) compared the the Motul, Redline, Amsoil and Rotella T6 engine oils.

Not sure why this is the case for Mobil 1 on Subies but that's what we've seen over the years.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

I just switched to synthetic at my last change, my car has 80k on it. In the past it has leaked none and burned very little oil between changes. I rarely had to top it off and if I did it was like 1/4 of a quart. I was religious about 3000 mile interval changes.

I checked my oil two days ago. 1.5 quarts low. No signs of any leaks. I will probably be switching back to dino oil....and subscribing to this thread.

I just sprung an oil leak. Looked under her today and bam! trouble. Called subaru dealership and told them I recently just switched from dino to synthetic and he said it shouldn't make a difference. We'll see what they say on Friday. Until then, FML.

Wow, already? What weight dino oil was it using previously? What weight synthetic did you switch to and brand? Sorry to hear man

Over the years (10+) we've been working on Subies and have seen 100s and 100s. The Mobil 1 does not work well on Subies in the 5w30 and 5w40 weights. Generally it's consumed much quicker (at the rate of 1Q per 1k miles) compared the the Motul, Redline, Amsoil and Rotella T6 engine oils.

Not sure why this is the case for Mobil 1 on Subies but that's what we've seen over the years.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

I have occasionally(winter) used Mobil 1 in my previous 2004 WRX and wife's current 2005 LGT and have found no difference in consumption over 4k miles vs regular oil. Eg no consumption.

That is just my case. I am lucky as my wife has never lifted the hood of her LGT wagon and won't. She does not even pump gas as she visits some off brand full service station.

Wait. You guys change your oil?

I thought it was a lifetime fluid?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Just a guess.

there are oil analysis posts around the forum that shows 5w-30 mobil 1 wears much faster than other, store-bought brands and end up "thinner" quicker, potentially leaing your main and rod bearings at risk, also this can account for the unusually high consumption people experience with mobil 1 5w-30

Archived