LegacyGT.com

New to Subaru's what can I do with what I got????

I have a 92 Subaru legacy 4cl turbo with 180,000 miles. I’m in no way an automotive expert but I have a couple of friends with car knowledge but not with my specific car. I am wondering how I might get the most power out of my engine. Does anyone know the capabilities of this motor as far as how much boost I can push into it Stock with no modification. For example: a bigger turbo/ exhaust/ up the boost and tuning. Basically what I’m wonder if my engine can handle these upgrades. Or if there is even a point in trying… or if I should do an overhaul. So basically, three questions

Can I turn up the boost stock (and be happy with the power output) without having the motor explode?

Do I need bigger turbo/exhaust n all that jazz?

Will the motor even hold?

The EJ22T (The motor you have) is a pretty stout motor.

People put on WRX Top mounts, 440cc injectors, TD04 (WRX turbo), Master Boost Controller and a full exhaust and make 170-200WHP. Which is pretty fun.

I was under the impression these engines were extremely tough? I was planning on doing performance mods on my '92. We were planning on rebuilding it & then strapping on some fun toys. (sounds so dirty, lol)

I hear 02-04 WRX's are good donors for upgrades. :)

They are...but any engine that has almost 200,000 miles on it isnt a good candidate for upgrades in my opinion. If you went through and replaced all of the seals, the oil pump, water pump...well...most things, then it'd be a different story. I'm just cautious about beating on an old engine.

Don't turn up the stock boost without any upgrades. It's set that way for a reason.

The cheapest, less lethal upgrades to the engine would be a TD04 swap w/ Intercooler, Manual boost controller, boost gauge, turbo back exhaust. You can get all this stuff used and whatnot on NASIOC or craigslist.

Most time consuming would be turbo swap. You have to custom make all the tubing to fit the Intercooler to the turbo, make sure it's all air tight, everything aligns properly. All while making sure you don't break anything brittle on a 20 year old engine bay.

Also bbs.legacycentral.org has a ton of info regarding swaps, anything 1st gen. related as far as specific parts needs.

Archived