LegacyGT.com

2006 spec-b going to test-drive

humm

Hi guys I am new to the forum and have some questions about a car I am looking at friday.

Here is the car:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=289484583&dealer_id=597404&car_year=2006&doors=&systime=&model=LEGACY&search_lang=en&start_year=2005&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=used&distance=200&min_price=&rdm=1290620786145&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&sownerid=1150898&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=newsortbyprice_DESC&max_mileage=&address=55438&color=&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&awsp=false&make=SUB&num_records=25&seller_type=b&cardist=94&standard=false

My questions:

This seems priced a little high? what would you recommend is a good price and whats the most I should pay for this vehicle?

This is going to be my first subaru, is there anything specific I should look for or listen for when test driving the car? Are there are problems these cars have around the 60k mark that the prevouis owner might be selling to avoid?

And what is your personal opinion on the 2006 spec-b? Is it a good car to buy for a first time subuaru owner? How does it hold up?

Thanks a lot guys I appreicatie your insights

BTW: talked to the dealer he said 1 owner middle aged couple. and sent me clean carfax

- Humm

Drive it to a subi mechanic or someone that is a subaru knowledgeable person for inspection...that car you are buying is one of the 500 that came out of the assembly line...take your time buying...Its a buyers market...There is a vast market surplus at the moment...

Drive it to a subi mechanic or someone that is a subaru knowledgeable person for inspection...that car you are buying is one of the 500 that came out of the assembly line...take your time buying...Its a buyers market...There is a vast market surplus at the moment...

There will never be a surplus of used spec b's available. I'd say get it checked out and jump on it if it's good, rare car it is....

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Ttnio: the ad says the car is certified pre owned by the Subaru dealership listing it. Would you still recommend I get a second look, or is certified mean everything is okay?

Thanks

It's a dealership. Negotiate. You could probably knock $1k or $2k off with very modest trade in and a silver tongue. Keep in mind this is one of 500, so that factors into price.

Above all else, get it inspected thoroughly. This may have previously been a boy racer car and you most certainly don't want to drop $20k into something like that.

Plus it's a CPO so that makes it much harder to negotiate prices, one of the reasons I hate CPO cars because it's understandable if the price is firm IF they did some work on it but if it came into the lot not needing anything or only a few things and it passes Subaru's specifications, they slap a CPO tag on it and use that as a negotiating tactic to keep prices higher.

BMx: knowing there were only 500 made in 2006, what do you think of the price at 19k?

pass

there is nothing special about "only 500 made" considering subaru also manufactured spec b's in 2007 and beyond, and those models also have a 6mt, which is more robust and desireable than the 5mt in the 2006, not to mention a torsen lsd

think you can find some nice examples (with lower miles) at around the price you are willing to pay

Ttnio: the ad says the car is certified pre owned by the Subaru dealership listing it. Would you still recommend I get a second look, or is certified mean everything is okay?

Thanks

to be on the safe side, I'd take it to another party who knows a subi... the dealership should not decline if you ask for a second opinion on the spec B. you are about to buy...dont be in a hurry to buy...take your time..

Thanks

...What is the status of the dealership towards their used-car sales.... Find out... Get a second opinion...though certified pre-owned...there are 152 points (items ) that they inspect if i am not mistaken... If they find something that needs replacement or repair they do it...They call it certified pre-owned after they have inspected it throughly...They should be able to warrant that the car is good ... :rolleyes: Remember from what I read in the forum you'll have women & gals calling / texting you to ride in a spec.B :lol:...I have also read further, that the spec.B is a fast car...:) least, you can use the phrase its 1 of the 500 made.... :cool: Gud luck....I will also try to look for one...There's several posting in the forum & all over....:icon_lol:

Bonus: Because it's certified pre-owned, it's eligible for a bump to the Gold Warranty. If you do decide to pick this one up, see if you can haggle a deal to include that kind of coverage. It's got higher mileage than a lot of other CPO models so you might be able to get a deal.

At least I think you can. Can I get an amen over here?

Speaking from experience, I'd try to find an '07+ Spec B. I love my car. 6 speed is the way to go. I never bothered looking at an '06 when I was in the market, I didn't like the interior + I wanted a 6 speed.

My car is for sale, has less miles and I've taken very good care of it. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-mo-2007-legacy-gt-spec-b-21-250-obo-148155.html

:lol:

Check out the various sections on here. There are plenty of guys with tons of knowledge.

Where you start depends on what you want out of your car. Keep in mind, after the first mod the bug bites again and again and again...always and forever haha

Archived