LegacyGT.com

Humming noise >40 mph = bad wheel bearing

Started hearing the old "playing card in the spokes" humming sound at around 7,000 miles. After reading about similar issues here, I took it to dealer A and suggested a bad bearing. They scoffed me and told me it was "low profile tire noise" after taking it for a ride. Duh.

After listening to the noise at the same level for another 4,000 miles I took it to dealer B who immediately heard it, diagnosed it, and fixed the bad rear wheel bearing under warranty. It now rides like a different car at highway speeds.

Kudos to Nitti Subaru in Hamilton Township, NJ! Great service.

Also had to order parts to fix the brake light in spoiler...

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
damn it... I thought Subaru had fixed bearing issues...

They did for the most part...the bearing design in the newer cars ('05+) are totally different than the older style. We have seen a few bad bearings in earlier production date '05's but not a huge number. Good news is that the bearing is easy to replace...only takes about 30 minutes to an hour.

My 06 Outback Sport (yes, I know, I'm a poser.. but I really really want a Legacy GT!) hit 7500miles this morning.. on the way to the dealer for a suspected bad bearing. They claimed to not hear the humming.. but I might just have to go for a ride with them. My last car (VW Jetta) went through no less than 7 wheel bearings. I think I know what they sound like! :rolleyes:

I've been debating if the humming noise I am hearing is attributed to a bad wheel bearing. Everytime my friend gets in the car, he complains that it's loud, and I am just used it (that is if there is a problem). I have no idea when this started, but I did just recently lower my car. You think the dealer will give me any beef over springs if I do in fact have a bad wheel bearing?

Also, is there any way to visually diagnose a bad wheel bearing, so I could be sure before going to a dealership?

Found this on a Lotus site, but it's similar to what I've heard elsewhere. Never tried it myself, but a bad wheel bearing *should* exhibit more 'play' than the others. Pretty easy to give it a try; although I don't think there's any 'adjustment' for ours - you'd just need to replace it if it's bad.

Check Procedure:

• Jack up the car so one of the rear wheels just rises off the ground.

• Be sure the Parking Brake is NOT engaged! Turn the wheel a bit to confirm this.

• Check the wheel bearing’s "play."

To do this, grab the tire with both hands, one on each side of it (top & bottom or forward & rear sides). If it is solid (without play) then you are done and your bearing is adjusted fine. If you can shake the wheel and feel play in the bearing, you should then proceed with "adjustment."

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I am pretty sure that it is the back right wheel on my car as well. My friends in the backseat are the ones that really complain, and since I don't have a jack at this house, i'm making my appointment next week.

Just got a call from the service rep, and it was indeed a bad back right wheel bearing. Looks like the equation turned out to be correct. Can't wait to go get the car back and find out what it sounds like in a quiet cabin again.

Congrats on a successfully diagnosed - and fixed - problem! I've been stuck driving a loaner Forester for a week now while my LGT is getting a new center diff, along with the stuttering reflash and a couple other minor warranty fixes.:mad:

Center diff problem started right around 20,000 miles. I posted info in this other thread, as it was similar to someone else's problem - although theirs was a 2001 LGT:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10363

I get the car back tomorrow; so far I'm very happy with how the dealer has taken care of me, actually!

also to check if its a bearing. drive the car and make left and right turns. if the noise is louder on one direction and quieter on the other, then the ouside bearings on the turn that made the noise are the bad ones. you are essentially loading up the bearings to make the noise louder.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from the dealer last Sat. I didnt think this was a bearing. It changed with speed, not throttle so I suspected it wasnt the rear end, but it did not change with high speed turns like the front did.

Bad right rear wheel bearing. At 13k miles (it started more like at 11k, but closest dealer is in SLC)

As I said above, this is bearing number 2. First one was right front at 5k miles.

I asked if this was common, if maybe there was something with the new design since 05. He said no, that this was just bad luck with my particular car......This car has never seen dirt, only I-80. Not even any city miles (there is none here).

Who has a wheel bearing go before 50k?!

I had a bad bearing and axle replaced under warranty at 32K. They tried to tell me that I hit something that caused the axle to bend eventually causing the bearing to go. I said, where is the evidence that happened? There isn't any physical damage to any of the parts under there or on the wheel. I said the axle was probably bent before I purchased it and it wasn't noticed until the bearing started giving out.

BTW I made a complaint about the same sound at 12K but they brushed it off and said it was the low profile tires. They did their full check that time too.

Make sure the axles are straight too!!!

Archived