LegacyGT.com

Transitioning to a Subie...

vr216

I write this with a heavy heart...

I currently have a 2008 VW R32 with a United Motorsports ECU/DSG combo tune. It's absolutely amazing. #1057/5000

I also currently have a girlfriend/soon to be fiance that wants to get a place and do all that relational crap that costs too much money.

Budgets have to be made and sacrifices need to happen. It seems my sacrifice is going to be my .:R. I'm in the market to replace it with something that will give me cheaper payments, cheaper insurance, and better gas mileage that isn't a completely different beast than the R. The one thing I consistently find is that my best bet *could be* the 2.5GT. The leather, AWD, fantastic engine.....just missing the heated seats.

I'll admit to being a Volkswagen fanboy. The .:R sold me on it hard. I think I could be sold on the LGT if its as good as everyone says, I just need some reassurances...

Is there a certain mileage that should be avoided when purchasing used?

What are the typical trouble signs to look for when test driving?

Any major maintenance or recalls?

Any model years that should be looked at or avoided? (I'm currently looking at an '05 with 37k mi, an '06 with 53k mi, and an '08 with 63k mi)

Looking through these threads, you guys seem like a great bunch and I'm really hoping for some reassurance to soften the blow of giving up what amounts to a realistic dream car of mine (granted I'm only 25 and haven't been able to accumulate the purchasing power necessary to drop on an M3). Its just really hard to give up a car as unique and special as the .:R.

I must be confused because it sure sounds like you are looking for cheaper payments, insurance and gas mileage by looking for another AWD turbocar?

Yep. The LGT's in question are at top end $5k cheaper than what I paid for the .:R, insurance is 200/yr cheaper, and gas mileage should automatically be better because I'm downgrading from a 250hp NA V6 to the turbo 4.

Yep. The LGT's in question are at top end $5k cheaper than what I paid for the .:R, insurance is 200/yr cheaper, and gas mileage should automatically be better because I'm downgrading from a 250hp NA V6 to the turbo 4.

"downgrading" to a 250hp(05-09)turbo 4 LGT or to a 265hp(2010+)LGT. i know the 05-09 4door door lgt is lighter at 3300-3450lb. as the R32 is 3547lbs. so to you you are "downgrading" to a car thats lighter, faster, bigger, more room, 1mpg better gas milege but also depends on your right foot, yes its safer, yes its a little cheaper. if you are lookig for smaller payment smaller insurance better gas milege get a 2.5i,

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

Or keep the R32. Is $200/yr worth giving up a car you really seem to love?

Trading cars like that almost always results in a net increase in dollars spent. You won't be saving any money, but you will be driving a car that isn't the same as your R.

If you REALLY want to save money, the 2.5i is the only real option to retain AWD. Swapping to an LGT isn't really a financially savvy decision.

Now, if you just want to get out of the R and into a car that has a perceived lower cost (to sort of fool yourself and the fiancé), then it's fine. But if you actually analyze the costs associated with switching cars, you'll see that switching isn't likely to save you much if anything.

And we knew you were a VW fanboy when you put a period and a colon before the R (.:R). Same way you can tell BMW fanboys by the ///M. Fortunately, to be a Subaru fanboy, you arent required to type ******LGT every time you tell people what car you have.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

One thing to keep in mind is that only the 07+ models have fold-down rear seats (someone correct me if I am wrong). Coming from a hatch that may be something that is important for you.

As far as things to look for... for the most reliability, try to get an unmodified car that has good maintenance records. Some people will recommend having a compression/leakdown test performed on the engine to make sure it is in good shape.

Keep some money saved up in case your turbo goes, but that is something that is hard to predict. Also consider looking into the "banjo bolt" removal (do a search).

Going from the R32 to a LGT is a upgrade in just about every way as pointed out by Ilovethesnow. :iam:

Or keep the R32. Is $200/yr worth giving up a car you really seem to love?

Trading cars like that almost always results in a net increase in dollars spent. You won't be saving any money, but you will be driving a car that isn't the same as your R.

If you REALLY want to save money, the 2.5i is the only real option to retain AWD. Swapping to an LGT isn't really a financially savvy decision.

Is your R32 paid off? Or close to paid off?

I don't see the savings. MPG similar, premium fuel still required, insurance difference of less than 20 bucks per month... Frequent OCI's... Turbo failure potential just like your current car I guess, don't know much about vw turbos.

Tell your gf/fiance to get a better job and contribute. Don't give up your baby if you love it. Not for a comparable car anyway that you would be starting over with.

Edit: oops, forgot R32 wasn't turbo - so disregard the part about the turbo.

Agreed with everyone else. Sacrificing your car just b/c you're engaged is a bad idea....Especially since it's not necessarily your idea. If you had a kid on the way, that makes sense, but not just b/c you're getting married.

Keep the car and find somewhere else to save money. Besides like it's been already stated, you won't be saving much if anything by swapping out cars. You don't want to resent your fiancee if you end up hating the LGT and you're not saving any real money.

I am recently engaged and the one thing that my finacee doesn't bother me about are the cars. Although I did promise not to buy another car for 5+ years when I got my 2011.....but you never know ;)

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

turbo 4 still makes the same power... and dont get your hopes up on the mileage

Not sure I see any positive benefit, other than Subaru's AWD.

The R32 had 4-motion, essentially Quattro. Arguably a system equivalent to Subaru's.

I see it as a no-win swap. You'd get rid of a car you love, for a car you aren't sure of, for no gain in savings which was the original intent.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The R32 had 4-motion, essentially Quattro. Arguably a system equivalent to Subaru's.

I see it as a no-win swap. You'd get rid of a car you love, for a car you aren't sure of, for no gain in savings which was the original intent.

the win would be going to a 4door car that weighs less, faster. same/or more power depending on the year of LGT and gas mileage is a tie.

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

I was referring to Subaru's symmetrical AWD, versus the VW transverse engine system (read torque-steer) with the jackshafted rear drive cobbled in. And good point about the 4-door versus 2-door - wouldn't have remembered that.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived