ehsnils

Which one would you get?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you get?

• Stock
    • Bilstein
    • Koni
    • Öhlins

I think it's time to replace the shocks soon (front and rear), and I have a few options:

1. Stock
  2. Bilsteins
  3. Koni
  4. Öhlins (SUS MI00 kit for the BP5 chassis exists, which is what I have...)

I haven't checked prices on the alternatives yet, so...

Since I only run a 2.0i I think that the two last alternatives are a bit overkill. But then - nobody remembers a coward! :D

And everybody remembers an idiot! :hide:

453747.png

Either the Bils or Konis would be a great choice.

I have Bilsteins paired with swift springs and love it, but the ride is harse on poor road surfaces (not matched well for comfort). Lots of JDM options with different ride qualities can be found used for decent prices or new for reasonable $$$.

Konis require modding your stock strut housings, which is simple but another step. From what I've read they are at least as good as Bilsteins. Only occasionally will you find a used set, but still reasonable $$$ when bought new.

Ohlins have a great reputation, I'm not sure what adjustments the SUS M100 has. I have Konis on iON Sport Spec springs and the combo is great. Konis on my stock springs seemed a little harsh over some bumps but with the iON springs and Koni adjusted to fit the ride is much improved.

I understand from other forums many people find the Billy struts to be tuned with too much rebound dampening making for a harsh ride. A friend of mine has an old R spec Miata with Billy struts and the ride is harsh, no where near as nice as the Koni set up on my wagon.

I'll second that Ifbiker as I have the exact same setup (Koni's/IONS). I will add that different springs do make a difference. My twin brother (also a car enthusiast) has Bilsteins on his GTI, ride was very harsh until he changed out his springs as well (from Teins to eibachs). The ability of the KOni's to match the spring rate of many manufacturers make them a very good choice.

Ohlins have a great reputation, I'm not sure what adjustments the SUS M100 has. I have Konis on iON Sport Spec springs and the combo is great. Konis on my stock springs seemed a little harsh over some bumps but with the iON springs and Koni adjusted to fit the ride is much improved.

I understand from other forums many people find the Billy struts to be tuned with too much rebound dampening making for a harsh ride. A friend of mine has an old R spec Miata with Billy struts and the ride is harsh, no where near as nice as the Koni set up on my wagon.

:whore: for Koni's.

Sorry to jack your thread ehsnils, but can someone link me to were i can buy koni struts? I looked through vendors on here and they don't have them.

Really? Not sure how you searched but I got mine from Fred Beans.

I believe Crucial offers them as well.

I bet those Ohlins' are nice though. I know johndas had the fixed perch versions available in the US on his wagon for a while. Not sure what those ones you linked are. ;)

Cheers!

IMHO if gave up on mix and matching springs and struts. I had Teins, then they started to sag on my wagon. I got KW V.2 coil overs. They use the stock tophat and the rubber in the tophat take the edge off of sharp bumps. The ride is firm, never harsh. Most say BMW firm and the 7k springs keep the rear from saging even with a load. 2 years later they still ride great and they cost about the same as your #4 choice. You may get KW V.2 cheaper because you are so close to Germany.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Archived