LegacyGT.com

Replacement engine options for my 98LGT.

Im thinking about replacing the engine on my LGT. When I did the head gaskets the machine shop did not get the head surface to the correct RA value but they assured me it was ok. Yesterday the gasket blew again and this time I want to put something in that I could possibly turbo later on. Either way im thinking about having the heads cut for orings and using studs this time.

I was thinking about getting a short block from somewhere but not sure which one. I really would like to get it back on the road without spending over 2k.

If I were you I would just save more loot and get a WRX turbo drivetrain. There isn't really a stock Subaru NA engine that will take and hold a turbo.

If you want a full swap a JDM set up might work too but just remember if you swap a trans you'll need the supporting rear diff and possibly the axles.

If I were you I would just save more loot and get a WRX turbo drivetrain. There isn't really a stock Subaru NA engine that will take and hold a turbo.

If you want a full swap a JDM set up might work too but just remember if you swap a trans you'll need the supporting rear diff and possibly the axles.

Ide like to do that but I might just repair the ej25d for now cause I need a daily. Been searching options though.

There isn't really a stock Subaru NA engine that will take and hold a turbo.

Not true. An EJ22E can hold plenty of boost if done properly. WRX guys build them all the time and beat the crap out of them. You can even use the stock legacy ECU and run 5 psi with a VF11 or TD04 w/tmic no problem.

On a related note, I'm wanting to pick up a 2nd engine for my 98 Legacy GT. My current one has 260k km on it & will undoubtedly need the head gasket replaced either this year or next.

I'm a total Subaru noob, only driven 3 in the past & this is the first I've owned. I know it has the 2.5L DOHC (EJ25, right?) paired to a manual transmission.

What engines & years are a direct replacement with my current ECU, wiring & tranny.

Not true. An EJ22E can hold plenty of boost if done properly. WRX guys build them all the time and beat the crap out of them. You can even use the stock legacy ECU and run 5 psi with a VF11 or TD04 w/tmic no problem.

Is the EJ22E hard to find?

Super easy to find. I could go to the junkyards out here today gather up a couple dozen at least. They are fairly cheap to, especially if you just want the shortblock which might be the easiest option for you. They were in all first gen legacies, and a lot of second gen legacies. There are phase 1 and phase 2 models. The phase 2 is preferred by some since you can drop in an STi crank for better oiling. Either one is fine for boosting.

Do you have an auto or manual? Johnegg could tell you all you need to know about what ej22e would drop in the easiest and not give you any cels because of the egr.

I have an auto but want to convert to a manual eventually. I almost thought about spending 2k on a new shortblock cause its a pita to find a good used motor and then not know if its good or not.

Super easy to find. I could go to the junkyards out here today gather up a couple dozen at least. They are fairly cheap to, especially if you just want the shortblock which might be the easiest option for you. They were in all first gen legacies, and a lot of second gen legacies. There are phase 1 and phase 2 models. The phase 2 is preferred by some since you can drop in an STi crank for better oiling. Either one is fine for boosting.

Do you have an auto or manual? Johnegg could tell you all you need to know about what ej22e would drop in the easiest and not give you any cels because of the egr.

After calling a few more places with no luck I called the dealer and ordered a brand new short block. I already have a new oil pan and water pump and I ordered a new oil pump.

This time I got to make sure the heads are done right and Im using arp studs! This thing is going to run another 150k.

After calling a few more places with no luck I called the dealer and ordered a brand new short block. I already have a new oil pan and water pump and I ordered a new oil pump.

This time I got to make sure the heads are done right and Im using arp studs! This thing is going to run another 150k.

Out of curiosity, what did the short block cost you? Did it come with the internals?? This might be the route for me, if I cant find a newer EJ251 or 253 short block to use.

Out of curiosity, what did the short block cost you? Did it come with the internals?? This might be the route for me, if I cant find a newer EJ251 or 253 short block to use.

2k for the short block. A short block is the block, crank, rods, and pistons all assembled.

Personally I wouldn't spend the extra money on ARP studs. They aren't necessary unless you want to push 300+ HP.

I forgot to ask why you have to replace the short block in the first place? When you blew the HG did the internals get all messed up or something?

Personally I wouldn't spend the extra money on ARP studs. They aren't necessary unless you want to push 300+ HP.

I forgot to ask why you have to replace the short block in the first place? When you blew the HG did the internals get all messed up or something?

I didnt want to it to develop a rod knock later on and have to do this all over again. It got pretty hot last time so it prob would of needed decked also. Now I have a brand new motor that I can take care of and make last a long time. I figured having the original short block all gone through with new bearings would cost quite a bit as well.

I just gave them my VIN and they said the reman was not available just a new shortblock. Im pretty anxious to see what it looks like and if it has any design updates. Ill post pictures when I pick it up.

Still waiting on the shortblock its taking forever. The new machine shop im using agreed that the heads were not smooth enough for a MLS gasket. They are going to deck the heads, do a valve job with new seals, and polish the cams.

I painted my valve covers black today and pulled the oil pan off the old motor. Still waiting on alot of parts.

Archived