LegacyGT.com

Interesting tidbits of SIA and Legacy/OB manufacturing

I was down at my dealer today (my GT wagon is coming in next week woo-hoo!) and I was talking to the service manager who had a tour of the SIA plant in Indiana. He gave me some interesting tidbits of info that I thought were worth sharing: - The 05 Leg/OB production line is supposedly first-rate. The service manager had seen a BMW and Toyota plant before and he said that the new SIA line was just simply better. He was impressed by the efficiency and operation of the line. - It takes only 1.5 hours to build a Leg/OB from frame to finished product! - Each one, right after it's built is put on a diagnostic dyno. The vehicle is run very hard (he claimed something like 100mph) while an automated set of tests check various functions like ABS and AWD in addition to torque/HP. He was amazed that the vehicles are started, just like that, and then put right on a dyno. - When Isuzu moves out (in a few weeks), all the employess there become Subaru employess and the factory space will be used to build engines and drivetrain components (currently imported from Japan). He guessed that by the end of the year the 05 Leg and OBs will have mostly US-made parts. Ken

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='Ken S'] Each one, right after it's built is put on a diagnostic dyno. The vehicle is run very hard (he claimed something like 100mph) while an automated set of tests check various functions like ABS and AWD in addition to torque/HP. He was amazed that the vehicles are started, just like that, and then put right on a dyno. Ken[/quote] One more reason not to be anal about observing the 4000rpm limit during break in.

[quote name='outahere'][quote name='Ken S'] Each one, right after it's built is put on a diagnostic dyno. The vehicle is run very hard (he claimed something like 100mph) while an automated set of tests check various functions like ABS and AWD in addition to torque/HP. He was amazed that the vehicles are started, just like that, and then put right on a dyno. Ken[/quote] One more reason not to be anal about observing the 4000rpm limit during break in.[/quote] Haha seriously!
-ben

[quote name='Ken S']- When Isuzu moves out (in a few weeks), all the employess there become Subaru employess and the factory space will be used to build engines and drivetrain components (currently imported from Japan). He guessed that by the end of the year the 05 Leg and OBs will have mostly US-made parts. Ken[/quote] Good, glad I have one on order now. I would rather have a Japan built engine and drivetrain and I don't want to wait till all the bugs are worked out with US manufacturing.

I wonder if the U.S. engine will have more hp though. It's not like Subaru to do that, but they've been doing a lot of changes lately. The 2.5 is definately an old engine in need of a true DOHC config and variable valve timing. The current version has been out since about '97?

No VVT, but it is SOHC. It has small tweaks to bump it up 3hp from the original motor made in '99 for the 2.5 RS. The older 2.5's were DOHC, which made slightly less torque at low rpm's. It's all about potential though.

[quote name='7stars']No VVT, but it is SOHC. It has small tweaks to bump it up 3hp from the original motor made in '99 for the 2.5 RS. The older 2.5's were DOHC, which made slightly less torque at low rpm's. It's all about potential though.[/quote] OH you were talking about the base 2.5? I was talking about the GT's 2.5. My bad.
-ben

[quote name='Ken S']- When Isuzu moves out (in a few weeks), all the employess there become Subaru employess and the factory space will be used to build engines and drivetrain components (currently imported from Japan). He guessed that by the end of the year the 05 Leg and OBs will have mostly US-made parts.[/quote] Good thing B4_Maniac bought his quick! :lol:

I find it hard to believe that the car's are immediately put on a dyno and bacshed at 100mph. Something doesn't sound right there. Also do you think that it's your dealer (service manager or whatever) who is talking up subaru's line conditions simply because he works for subaru? I am not bashing your story, because I am a fan of Subaru products.. just curious what kind of vibe you got.

Dr, that's normal procedure. Every car manufacturer does that to make sure the engine's putting out correct power. In some cases, the engines die right on the dyno. You wouldn't want an engine in your car without being tested.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil'] I am not bashing your story, because I am a fan of Subaru products.. just curious what kind of vibe you got.[/quote] Oh totally -- I was taking everything the service manager was saying with a grain of salt since it's second hand information. However, he had just recently returned from this trip and kept talking about how amazing it was that they would do such a thing to a vehicle that had just been turned-on moments earlier. And given that he's a service manager, I think it's only natural that he would focus on something like engine break-in. He told me it was mind-boggling to see a tech trying to keep the vehicle on the dyno at full tilt while it takes it's diagnostic readings. If all the diags come up green, it moves on. If something comes up red, it goes back for repair and is tested again. I've also read somewhere that that's exactly what they do to the Impreza/Foresters in Gunma. So, it's second-hand info but his story seemed pretty convincing to me. Also, he's a service manager (not a sales guy) and he doesn't even own a Subaru at this point so I think it's as unbaised as you can get from someone who works at Subaru. The service manager (Mark, for those of you who go to Santa Cruz Subaru) also had the chance to go to the dealer training event in Phoenix and was just amazed at how the Leg/OB handled. After seeing the manufacturing process and the performance, Mark told me that he's getting a GT as his next car. That's a pretty big endorsement from a person who's worked for Subaru for a long time, seen and heard about every conceivable problem and never has owned one yet. BTW, I'm still going to baby my GT through the break in process. Ken

Seems more convincing.. It just makes me nervious to think about my wagon on the dyno at 100MPH right off the line. I guess I shouldn't worry about the service guys beating on my car before I take delivery :lol: I am glad to hear that the Subaru Plant is in such good order. I also hear that the Subaru plant workers are some of the best paid employees in thier field. (I will try to find the source I got that from). It's always good to hear that the people that build your ars are happy and well paid, because they do an incredibly important job.

[quote name='bemani']100mph is just a tad over 4000rpm, I don't think that's really beating on your car, if they accelerate up to speed SLOWLY.[/quote] IF they do it slowly.. ;) I guess I am truely not too worried.. ignorance is bliss though!

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='Ken S']- When Isuzu moves out (in a few weeks), all the employess there become Subaru employess and the factory space will be used to build engines and drivetrain components (currently imported from Japan). He guessed that by the end of the year the 05 Leg and OBs will have mostly US-made parts.[/quote] Good thing B4_Maniac bought his quick! :lol:[/quote] YES SIR!! I WILL NOT BUY A LEGACY WITH A US MADE ENGINE. PERIOD. I dont' care if I get flamed, I just wont do it.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']I find it hard to believe that the car's are immediately put on a dyno and bacshed at 100mph. Something doesn't sound right there. Also do you think that it's your dealer (service manager or whatever) who is talking up subaru's line conditions simply because he works for subaru? I am not bashing your story, because I am a fan of Subaru products.. just curious what kind of vibe you got.[/quote] Zevil..I TOLD YOU GUYS THEY DO THIS! I toured the plant in Japan, and thats what they did with the Foresters and Imprezzas... is the only one that reads my post Drift Monkey??? :o

[quote] I toured the plant in Japan, and thats what they did with the Foresters and Imprezzas... is the only one that reads my post Drift Monkey??? :o[/quote] No, actually I remembered your post too. :) Ken

[quote name='B4_Maniac'][quote name='Dr. Zevil']I find it hard to believe that the car's are immediately put on a dyno and bacshed at 100mph. Something doesn't sound right there. Also do you think that it's your dealer (service manager or whatever) who is talking up subaru's line conditions simply because he works for subaru? I am not bashing your story, because I am a fan of Subaru products.. just curious what kind of vibe you got.[/quote] Zevil..I TOLD YOU GUYS THEY DO THIS! I toured the plant in Japan, and thats what they did with the Foresters and Imprezzas... is the only one that reads my post Drift Monkey??? :o[/quote] :oops: I know this may be hard to believe, but I don't read every post... although there is a special place in my heart for your posts ;) :lol: Honetly, I don't remember reading that. sorry....

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']Zevil..I TOLD YOU GUYS THEY DO THIS! I know this may be hard to believe, but I don't read every post... although there is a special place in my heart for your posts ;) :lol: Honetly, I don't remember reading that. sorry....[/quote] Teh DM is jealous. :(

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']Oh, I read all of your posts DM.. they are ahort.. doesn't take me much time at all :lol: ;);)[/quote] HEY! Never judge a man by the lenght of his post! Even if it is as short as Drift Monkey's.. :P

Archived